U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 08:13 PM
x1x x1x started this thread

227 posts, read 549,425 times
Arrow Ginseng Harvesting In WV.

Can anyone tell me if they harvest or grow ginseng in WV, And what counties have they harvested or grew it in? Do you find it profitable or do you just do it to enjoy the outside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2007, 02:22 AM

4,715 posts, read 8,571,563 times
'Sang Hunters' are one of the most peculiar breeds found here...Everyone of them carries a 'Crypto Security Clearance'. They won't tell you anything about 'Sang' except that its in the bag and its the biggest root and the best quality.
Sang grows wild on a hill that faces north. It is found at a certain elevation. In high school we would find it at about 1200' above sea level in this area.
We would start in September, dig the root that was split or forked and re-plant the red berry. Grandpa would really chew us out if we didn't do that correctly.
Usually, a person who gathers ramps (Wild Leeks/ Allium Tricoccum) will gather Sang and Yellow Root.
The pros use a cute little mattock...custom made and is used as a walking aid on steep ground.
They find patches of the stuff and will not give out their secret. They will sneek onto private land to satisfy their mania.
If you could dress a 'Sang Hunter' in buckskin and moccasins, he/she would look just like our ancestors...
We have so much public land here, I would invite anyone to take up the hobby and get out into the rich atmosphere of these sacred mountains.
Me...I get my 'Sang' at CVS...comes in a small bottle...easier that the risk of snakebite, as the copperheads and timber rattlers have not gone under by September/October.

Last edited by David Kennedy; 10-07-2007 at 02:30 AM..

Old 10-07-2007, 11:24 AM

Thanks for your input on ginseng in WV. I have heard that it's locations are very secretive and if one should tell ya" then ya" gots to be shot!! LOL

Old 09-10-2008, 10:31 PM

3 posts, read 25,526 times
Your information is highly interesting. I would love to see some ginseng in the wild someday. I am not in-state so can't look for it.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:13 PM

18 posts, read 66,426 times
Had a friend,Frank, near Joetown, who took me sang huntn when I was 14 or so. He had an uncanny knack of findin it or ramps. DK, you rule! He used to make 4 , 500 bucks a year sellin it. I know that dont sound like much money but if yer needs are few, 4 or 500 will git ya through! I also got snake bit and he had me chew baccer and put it on the bite....turned out to be non poisonous but I did get bit. Dont know what bit me but it did bite me. Got worked up about that. Long time ago.I need to look him up when I go home next year. Hope he is still livin. He is the tops.

Old 11-11-2008, 06:40 AM

4 posts, read 47,298 times
Ginsengin' is one of my favorite hobbies, it brings a high price too. I dig ginseng in Wyoming, Boone, and Logan counties. The best place to find ginseng is under old loggin' roads or strip benches. The biggest and oldest ginseng I find is on points and ridges around rock clifts. Many people think that counting the rings on the curl tells you the age of the plant. This is'nt true. The rings only show how many times the root sprouted a plant. Some roots will lay dormant for three or four years before sprouting a top. I've found plants with 50 rings. The plant coud have been 70 or 80 years old. The amount and exact location I can't say, but I'll take anyone with me who will promise not to tell my hot spots.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy.Carter1 View Post
Ginsengin' is one of my favorite hobbies, it brings a high price too. I dig ginseng in Wyoming, Boone, and Logan counties. The best place to find ginseng is under old loggin' roads or strip benches. The biggest and oldest ginseng I find is on points and ridges around rock clifts. Many people think that counting the rings on the curl tells you the age of the plant. This is'nt true. The rings only show how many times the root sprouted a plant. Some roots will lay dormant for three or four years before sprouting a top. I've found plants with 50 rings. The plant coud have been 70 or 80 years old. The amount and exact location I can't say, but I'll take anyone with me who will promise not to tell my hot spots.

Thanks for the interesting facts about ginseng,!!!

Old 11-11-2008, 07:44 AM

3,105 posts, read 4,671,505 times
Got me curious to see what it looks like. Found info at Division of Forestry

Will have to keep an eye out when hiking but shoot, I can never tell which plant is poison ivy so doubt it I would recognize ginseng - especially the number of prongs can vary by maturity of the plant.. Are there other plants that look similar to it? Does it grow around Canaan Valley?

Old 11-12-2008, 07:53 PM

4 posts, read 47,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
Got me curious to see what it looks like. Found info at Division of Forestry

Will have to keep an eye out when hiking but shoot, I can never tell which plant is poison ivy so doubt it I would recognize ginseng - especially the number of prongs can vary by maturity of the plant.. Are there other plants that look similar to it? Does it grow around Canaan Valley?

It does grow in the Canaan Valley.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:00 PM

1 posts, read 8,792 times
My husband and I live around Beckley, and he and I love to ginseng. He gets the chance to go more than I do. We have done wonderful this season, My husband dug 2 1/2 pounds of wet seng today (some of the roots weighed several ounces), and the 3 days before that he has dug over 3 pounds wet. We dug a couple of pounds wet the first 2-3 weeks of September. He went to a new spot today, (sorry will never tell where lol) we are going back there tomorrow because he dug in a place that has like 8 swags, and he only managed to dig in one swag today, we are hitting it wide open tomorrow. I CAN'T WAIT!!!! We are orginally from Wyoming County, and he has family that lives in Man, WV, and we dig seng out of Logan, Wyoming, Boone, Raleigh, and Fayette Counties. We have found several hot spots, today was a great find because he could tell that it hadn't been ginsenged in a long while. If anyone has any recent prices on what seng is going for we would appreciate it!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia