Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 08:48 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,041,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
That just seems like yet another article put out to try and slam WV in some way it seriously gets old. I don't even consider those metros...those are just cities in my book. I bet I can find cities all over the country that are exactly the same. Look up some of the cities in Maine like Bangor for example. The article is bs and has an agenda. Also much of the Pittsburgh metro is not diverse at all...Allegheny County is but the counties surrounding it are not.
You got that right. In fact, there are entire areas in the immediate Pittsburgh area where almost everyone comes from the same ethnic group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 08:59 AM

1,935 posts, read 4,775,972 times
People truly don't want diversity. Let's face it. All of these ethnic or racial minorities want to be treated the same way, given the same (or better) opportunities, yadda yadda yadda... but still maintain their difference of culture. As far as I'm concerned, immigration and focus on diversity should go back to the way it was 100 years ago. "Welcome to America. Here's your Americanized name which everyone can pronounce without hesitation, here's your identification so you can get a job. Now, learn to speak English, get to work, and make an American of yourself." People may have maintained their own culture in their own house (heaven knows, I'm a mix of all kinds of immigrant grandparents and great-grandparents), but in public, they were American. They spoke English and didn't need bilingual signs or translators. "When in Rome, do as the Romans do".

We need to adopt that mentality... that we're all Americans now, and we're going to be of homogeneous culture as a country regardless of what you choose to do in the privacy of your own home. In America, we don't wear burqas, we don't speak Spanish, we drive on the right-hand side of the road, we don't spit on the floors of public buildings, etc.

Does anyone know of one time, and one place, in all of world history when "diversity" (as people in America like to call it) was ever beneficial to anyone? I'm with an earlier poster in this thread. When you champion differences between people, but still try to make it seem like we're all equal, you wind up with a sort of Orwellian quandary. "All people are equal, but some are more equal than others." What are we... different, or equal? If we want to believe in equality, we have to believe in homogeneity as well. America is no longer anything more than a geographical abstraction. We have no identity of any kind... we've become one gigantic melting pot. I wonder what George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin, et al. would say if they could come back to earth and see what America has become.

I think it would go something like this:

Old 09-20-2012, 06:02 AM

870 posts, read 1,569,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
That just seems like yet another article put out to try and slam WV in some way it seriously gets old. I don't even consider those metros...those are just cities in my book. I bet I can find cities all over the country that are exactly the same. Look up some of the cities in Maine like Bangor for example. The article is bs and has an agenda. Also much of the Pittsburgh metro is not diverse at all...Allegheny County is but the counties surrounding it are not.
Well there were a couple of Pennsylvania metros among the least diverse too (Johnstown, Altoona).

But the northern and central Appalachians were not part of the Great Migration of blacks from the deep south as many moved to Chicago and Detroit. Many white Appalachians moved to the midwest during that time too.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:27 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,041,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
People truly don't want diversity. Let's face it. All of these ethnic or racial minorities want to be treated the same way, given the same (or better) opportunities, yadda yadda yadda... but still maintain their difference of culture. As far as I'm concerned, immigration and focus on diversity should go back to the way it was 100 years ago. "Welcome to America. Here's your Americanized name which everyone can pronounce without hesitation, here's your identification so you can get a job. Now, learn to speak English, get to work, and make an American of yourself." People may have maintained their own culture in their own house (heaven knows, I'm a mix of all kinds of immigrant grandparents and great-grandparents), but in public, they were American. They spoke English and didn't need bilingual signs or translators. "When in Rome, do as the Romans do".

We need to adopt that mentality... that we're all Americans now, and we're going to be of homogeneous culture as a country regardless of what you choose to do in the privacy of your own home. In America, we don't wear burqas, we don't speak Spanish, we drive on the right-hand side of the road, we don't spit on the floors of public buildings, etc.

Does anyone know of one time, and one place, in all of world history when "diversity" (as people in America like to call it) was ever beneficial to anyone? I'm with an earlier poster in this thread. When you champion differences between people, but still try to make it seem like we're all equal, you wind up with a sort of Orwellian quandary. "All people are equal, but some are more equal than others." What are we... different, or equal? If we want to believe in equality, we have to believe in homogeneity as well. America is no longer anything more than a geographical abstraction. We have no identity of any kind... we've become one gigantic melting pot. I wonder what George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin, et al. would say if they could come back to earth and see what America has become.

I think it would go something like this:
I agree with what you wrote, but if you are Rahmani I find it puzzling that you are taking that approach.

Old 09-20-2012, 05:25 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,874,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
I agree with what you wrote, but if you are Rahmani I find it puzzling that you are taking that approach.
CT I wouldnt take what this poster says too seriously they are a troll.

However, I went to school with the owner's son. They are nice enough people, in person, and not the kind of people that murder people through Arson to reap insurance awards.

What they are though, the parents, is extremely greedy and will cut every corner to make a buck. They are like the Koch brothers and believe in a libertarian society without regulations where they can say, "this is a piece of **** fire hazard that might collapse, but it is cheap, so take it or leave it." Killing someone or cheating insurance companies would actually go against what they believe.

Old 09-20-2012, 07:52 PM

1,935 posts, read 4,775,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
My great-grandmother, who is part of my Romani gypsy heritage, was born in a caravan. She and my great-grandfather, also a Romani gypsy, came to America sometime around 1900. I'm not entirely sure when... I just know that my grandmother was born in 1916, in America.

They did as the Americans did. They got a place to live (didn't live and travel in caravans anymore), learned English (well enough that my grandmother spoke it without a hint of accent, despite also being able to speak fluent Hungarian), got jobs (rather than making money here and there as the gypsies did), etc. I can take this approach because my ancestors did exactly that... and they were no worse off for doing so. I can take this approach because I have a wide variety of heritage. My Hungarian part was a bunch of homeless gypsies. My Scottish part was so close to royalty that they had their own castle (which still stands today). I have the entire spectrum of perspective.

I can't say much about my great grandparents because they were dead before I was born. But I knew my Hungarian grandmother... she was American, despite being having 100% Hungarian ancestry. In public and in her interactions with others outside of her family (and most interactions with people in her family), she did as the Americans did... but in her own home she sometimes sang Hungarian songs, cooked Hungarian food, etc. To this day I still enjoy some of my family's Hungarian-influenced recipes. But the fact remains that my ancestors never required translators or had to have bilingual signs marking the aisles in the stores, or had to "press 1 for English". If "diversity" means we have to do things like that, I don't see how we're better off. Turn 'em all into Americans, so that we're one cohesive body. Black, white, brown, yellow, red, or chartreuse... you want to be in America, you're going to be an American. Maintain your culture in your home if you want... open up a restaurant serving food from your culture if you want... but you're going to be an American. That's the way it was always done... even back in the day when immigrants flooded this country at an even greater rate than they do today. Apparently, it wasn't so bad back then... and NOW we're telling those old folks that they didn't know how to write an immigration policy?

As I always say, if you aren't a Native American, you are an immigrant or the descendant of immigrants. Immigration brought every last one of us to this country. However, back in the day, immigrants were expected to "become American". These days, we champion "diversity", which has only made ethnic and racial groups hate each other even more, and diluted what it means to be American.

Therefore, if WV has some cities and areas that are among the country's least diverse, BIG WHOOPIE. If they REALLY wanted people from other ethnicities to come and live among them, they'd be making it happen. There's no need to be making it seem like WV is backward for having areas that are not diverse. Diversity, in the form that's rammed down our throats these days, is not a good thing. Diversity in the form America used to accept (and encourage) 100+ years ago was perfectly fine.

Again, I was a product of THAT type of diversity. That's why I can take this approach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
CT I wouldnt take what this poster says too seriously they are a troll.
You don't even know the meaning of the word, buddy. And when someone posts a thread like this, it's a given that it is going to incite debate... meaning that the liberal whiners participating in that debate are going to hear things they don't like hearing... such as the truth.

Speaking the truth doesn't make me a troublemaker just because someone doesn't like hearing it.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:27 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,874,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
My great-grandmother, who is part of my Romani gypsy heritage, was born in a caravan. She and my great-grandfather, also a Romani gypsy, came to America sometime around 1900. I'm not entirely sure when... I just know that my grandmother was born in 1916, in America.

They did as the Americans did. They got a place to live (didn't live and travel in caravans anymore), learned English (well enough that my grandmother spoke it without a hint of accent, despite also being able to speak fluent Hungarian), got jobs (rather than making money here and there as the gypsies did), etc. I can take this approach because my ancestors did exactly that... and they were no worse off for doing so. I can take this approach because I have a wide variety of heritage. My Hungarian part was a bunch of homeless gypsies. My Scottish part was so close to royalty that they had their own castle (which still stands today). I have the entire spectrum of perspective.

I can't say much about my great grandparents because they were dead before I was born. But I knew my Hungarian grandmother... she was American, despite being having 100% Hungarian ancestry. In public and in her interactions with others outside of her family (and most interactions with people in her family), she did as the Americans did... but in her own home she sometimes sang Hungarian songs, cooked Hungarian food, etc. To this day I still enjoy some of my family's Hungarian-influenced recipes. But the fact remains that my ancestors never required translators or had to have bilingual signs marking the aisles in the stores, or had to "press 1 for English". If "diversity" means we have to do things like that, I don't see how we're better off. Turn 'em all into Americans, so that we're one cohesive body. Black, white, brown, yellow, red, or chartreuse... you want to be in America, you're going to be an American. Maintain your culture in your home if you want... open up a restaurant serving food from your culture if you want... but you're going to be an American. That's the way it was always done... even back in the day when immigrants flooded this country at an even greater rate than they do today. Apparently, it wasn't so bad back then... and NOW we're telling those old folks that they didn't know how to write an immigration policy?

As I always say, if you aren't a Native American, you are an immigrant or the descendant of immigrants. Immigration brought every last one of us to this country. However, back in the day, immigrants were expected to "become American". These days, we champion "diversity", which has only made ethnic and racial groups hate each other even more, and diluted what it means to be American.

Therefore, if WV has some cities and areas that are among the country's least diverse, BIG WHOOPIE. If they REALLY wanted people from other ethnicities to come and live among them, they'd be making it happen. There's no need to be making it seem like WV is backward for having areas that are not diverse. Diversity, in the form that's rammed down our throats these days, is not a good thing. Diversity in the form America used to accept (and encourage) 100+ years ago was perfectly fine.

Again, I was a product of THAT type of diversity. That's why I can take this approach.

You don't even know the meaning of the word, buddy. And when someone posts a thread like this, it's a given that it is going to incite debate... meaning that the liberal whiners participating in that debate are going to hear things they don't like hearing... such as the truth.

Speaking the truth doesn't make me a troublemaker just because someone doesn't like hearing it.
Actually I meant to post this comment in another forum in regard to another poster. It was directed at you be mistake, but after hearing what you have to say I think it does apply to you.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:05 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,513,021 times
No diversity in WV? Shoot, they got both kinds of music down there! Country and Western!

Anyway, in some ways, what makes WV diverse is that it isn't ... if that makes sense. Not a bad thing, not any thing really, just the way it is in a place that is like nowhere else in the US.

Old 09-22-2012, 12:10 PM

282 posts, read 484,704 times
There are diverse areas in this country, some not so diverse, and everything in between, and I like them all. Whose to say that a "diverse" area (whatever exactly that is) is any better than one that's not or vica versa?

Old 09-23-2012, 07:52 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,798,945 times
The article is still lame all around if I can get the authors email I'm going to send him a letter. It's like he took a trip one day through a few cities, saw a bunch of white people, and proceeded to go on a rant about it on his keyboard at a Starbucks. The author is a joke. I don't even consider those metros they are just small cities...nothing more. Wheeling, Steubenville, and Weirton are cities that are so close to Pittsburgh they really could be considered just part of the Pittsburgh metro. Steubenville has more black people than a lot of areas. Statistics can easily be manipulated to fit a point of view..why not just break it down by county? There are counties all over the country with 200,000 people in them or more that are mostly white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia