Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2009, 10:07 AM

22 posts, read 63,154 times

Advertisements

[quote=NorthPoleMarathoner;8512175]I get it. You are free to call me a hater but I can't call you a homo. Did I hurt your feelings?

Homo is short for homosexual. I will use it if I please.

Guess what. No one cares that you are a homo. No one cares that you are a lib.

Every time I turn around, there is a lawmaker that wants to legislate our emotions and mandatory "political correctness" inour life.

I think there should be a total ban on the term "GAY". It used to mean happy, fun-filled and a state of well being. When the homosexuals started using the word "gay" to refer to themselves, it destroyed mant songs, for example, in one Christmas song a phrase "happy and gay" has all be banned to age old song and many pre-school text books.

Now, no "norman" person wants to be called gay.
When the government tells us that we can't say certain words to protect a "sick" persons choice of words, we are on the road to oblivion.

Nothing in this message is meantto violate the terms of this forum.

I just know for a fact that if the world protects and promotes the homosectuals practice of co-habitation, "marriage, contracts, etc, the population will at some point be much lower than the reproduction or replacement cycle. This is NOT what God meant to happen. Remember Sodom and Gamorra? 'nuff said. Please use common sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 12:51 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,314,623 times
In history, marriage was reserved for the upper gentry who had holdings, money and titles that needed management. In the early days of our country a very small amount of our population was ever really married.
The gentry of England and the other countries were semi-nobles or bastard sons and daughters of nobles sent here to protect and make/manage fortunes and businesses.

The rabble and the slave populations made certain promises to each other but those covenants were not recognized by the indentures of LAW...'Jumping the Broom was the common union of man and woman.

Marriage pressures came later when the Catholic Faith/Wars were cooling and new taxation was needed in the new country.
The Marriage Tax was instituted in early Virginia and many "married" in other states, or resorted to elopment to non-taxing states for the purpose.
One of the great factors that indirectly promoted marriage was the Revolutionary War Pensions of 1815 and later government military benefit programs.

Up until then, Jumping the Broom or having the "Race for the Bottle was the normal acceptable way of having two people set up house...

Marriage has almost always been a facet of the LAW to generate revenue.

Religion came into it later for the masses...excepting the Jews and the Catholic Faith.

Old 04-26-2009, 03:56 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,990,663 times
I will not be responding to hate filled posts or people harassing me.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:52 PM

4 posts, read 8,325 times
I'm moving to WV for work in a couple months from an area in the north-east where views like this are non-existent. The intolerant views demonstrated in these posts have me a little freaked out. I know it's going to be a culture shock, but is this really what the majority is like?

Old 04-27-2009, 12:43 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,314,623 times
This country has a lot of jobs...Wv is not for everyone..We say that everyday.

These very recent Posters seem to be Plants to stir up resentments. They have not been seen before and are working their evil here..they come from time to time. When Wv is in the news for something or other, they show up.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:48 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,990,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrasshopper&TheOctopus View Post
I'm moving to WV for work in a couple months from an area in the north-east where views like this are non-existent. The intolerant views demonstrated in these posts have me a little freaked out. I know it's going to be a culture shock, but is this really what the majority is like?
It really depends on where you live, town size, and how religious the area is. It is these intolerant people that sit around and wonder why WV continues to lose its young and educated people that cause us to leave in droves. I'm from Elkins which is in the north/middle central region of the state and never encountered what I would call horrible bigotry. I wasn't out then either for that matter. I came out in college and currently go to school in Huntington. I've never had a problem in Huntington, my bf and I walk around and hold hands and its not a big deal. I have friends though that have had people scream at them, harass, etc.

Just try to remember not everyone is as closed minded and insecure as some of these people have been. In fact most of the people that were harassing me on this thread were from out of state, so just try to have an open mind when you move here, look for the best in people, and just hope that one day things will be better

Old 04-27-2009, 09:05 AM

2 posts, read 2,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrasshopper&TheOctopus View Post
Yes. Get ready for a very hard culture shock. If you are in a northern city like Morgantown you might be okay. If you're white and christian you'll do okay but you still may be treated like an outsider. Gays are not accepted AT ALL. Get ready to see some animal abuse. Sometimes dogs run in packs around neighborhoods. Make sure your animal is fixed and vaccinated. If you have children people will smoke around your kids at the playground and throw their butts in the grass. If you run into a cop be as polite as possible and get on your way.

Also.. keep in mind that WV'ians do not like criticism from outsiders. Every time a publication does a negative story on WV the locals go nuts.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:18 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,972,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc65c02 View Post
Yes. Get ready for a very hard culture shock. If you are in a northern city like Morgantown you might be okay. If you're white and christian you'll do okay but you still may be treated like an outsider. Gays are not accepted AT ALL. Get ready to see some animal abuse. Sometimes dogs run in packs around neighborhoods. Make sure your animal is fixed and vaccinated. If you have children people will smoke around your kids at the playground and throw their butts in the grass. If you run into a cop be as polite as possible and get on your way.

Also.. keep in mind that WV'ians do not like criticism from outsiders. Every time a publication does a negative story on WV the locals go nuts.

Good Grief! - The above post is so not true on all levels and it's a shame that people will read the drivel in the above post. Gays are accepted here, our two best friends are Gay and live across the street from us and are upstanding citizens in the town. If people would stop worrying about what goes on in a Gay couples house and just accept them as you accept straight people, it would be a much better world. I really can't understand the mindset of normal, everyday people who have such a horrible prejudice against a different lifestyle different from their own.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:39 AM

2 posts, read 2,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corgis View Post
Gays are accepted here, our two best friends are Gay and live across the street from us and are upstanding citizens in the town.

First thing we hear when moving into a new neighborhood is one of our neighbors telling us how upset he is because his two nieces are gay. A girl my wife knows, her girlfriend got fired because she was gay. I would not call that acceptance.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:28 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,789,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc65c02 View Post

First thing we hear when moving into a new neighborhood is one of our neighbors telling us how upset he is because his two nieces are gay. A girl my wife knows, her girlfriend got fired because she was gay. I would not call that acceptance.
Guess what - no one HAS TO accept gays. They don't have to accept gays, they don't have to accept Muslims, they don't have to accept CHRISTIANS, and gays don't have to accept heterosexuals - this is America, get over it.

Live your own life and quit worrying about how someone feels about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia