U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-12-2007, 11:55 PM
 
Location: Elkins, WV
1,981 posts, read 5,226,386 times
Reputation: 807

Advertisements

Yeah, my parents are straight, and infact none of my gay or lesbian friends have gay or lesbian parents. But some of my straight friends have gay or lesbain parents. Hmm, I guess they gay really doesn't spread. So much for that secret gay agenda we have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-14-2007, 09:22 PM
 
Location: California
3,897 posts, read 4,759,052 times
Reputation: 3057
Default 12 Reasons Gays Should Not Be Married...


12 reasons why gays should not be married (keep in mind this is sarcastic and not written by me )
  1. Homosexuality is not natural, much like eyeglasses, polyester, and birth control are not natural.
  2. Heterosexual marriages are valid because they produce children. Infertile couples and old people cannot get legally married because the world needs more children.
  3. Obviously gay parents will raise gay children because straight parents only raise straight children.
  4. Straight marriage will be less meaningful, since Britney Spears's 55-hour just-for-fun marriage was meaningful.
  5. Heterosexual marriage has been around for a long time, and it hasn't changed at all: women are property, Blacks can't marry Whites, and divorce is illegal.
  6. Gay marriage should be decided by the people, not the courts, because the majority-elected legislatures, not courts, have historically protected the rights of minorities.
  7. Gay marriage is not supported by religion. In a theocracy like ours, the values of one religion are always imposed on the entire country. That's why we only have one religion in America.
  8. Gay marriage will encourage people to be gay, in the same way that hanging around tall people makes you tall.
  9. Legalizing gay marriage will open the door to all kinds of crazy behavior. People may even wish to marry their pets because a dog has legal standing and can sign a marriage license.
  10. Children can never succeed without both male and female role models at home. That's why single parents are forbidden to raise children.
  11. Gay marriage will change the foundation of society. Heterosexual marriage has been around for a long time, and we could never adapt to new social norms because we haven't adapted to cars or longer lifespans.
  12. Civil unions, providing most of the same benefits as marriage with a different name are better, because a "separate but equal" institution is always constitutional. Separate schools for African-Americans worked just as well as separate marriages will for gays & lesbians.
Everyone should be treated equal without exception. NO COMPROMISE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2007, 10:20 PM
 
2,226 posts, read 4,411,152 times
Reputation: 4977
Quote:
Originally Posted by quijote View Post
I admire you for having met most or all of the gay people in existence on the planet. I travel a lot and probably have not crossed paths with most *people*, let alone most *homosexuals*.

By the way, if I had to make a blanket characterization such as yours, I would say that most human beings--regardless of sexual orientation--lack in character, morality, and social conduct. It's not a homosexual thing, believe it or not, and in fact many gays are quite moral and well behaved.

Well, I lived in San Francisco for 18 years, so I probably HAVE met most gay people. And you're right; most of them are vibrant, well-educated, law-abiding, productive citizens. I know two lesbian couples that have been together over 25 years, and it pains me that it's so difficult for them to assume responsibility for each other's medical decisions, etc., as they age, without having those rights automatically granted the way they would be to a married couple. Heck, most straight couples these days don't stay together that long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2007, 03:59 PM
 
2 posts, read 7,713 times
Reputation: 13
I hope our state never pushes the gay rights thing. We aren't asking for straight rights, and we don't make an issue out of being straight, we never came " out ", straight folks are straight and don't want anything for it. Neither should gays. Jake
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2007, 04:30 PM
 
Location: Falling Waters, WV
1,502 posts, read 6,626,364 times
Reputation: 786
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeFlyFish127 View Post
I hope our state never pushes the gay rights thing. We aren't asking for straight rights, and we don't make an issue out of being straight, we never came " out ", straight folks are straight and don't want anything for it. Neither should gays. Jake
Straight people when they get married have rights that others don't. Some choose not to get married but that is their choice. But gay people don't have that option. They are not asking for anything extra, they just want to be able to make medical choices for their significant other and also to make sure their partner is taken care of if anything was to happen. Just like us married people have once we get married.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2007, 05:32 PM
 
Location: Elkins, WV
1,981 posts, read 5,226,386 times
Reputation: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janipoo View Post
Straight people when they get married have rights that others don't. Some choose not to get married but that is their choice. But gay people don't have that option. They are not asking for anything extra, they just want to be able to make medical choices for their significant other and also to make sure their partner is taken care of if anything was to happen. Just like us married people have once we get married.
exactly! Well said Janipoo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2007, 05:43 PM
 
267 posts, read 1,231,418 times
Reputation: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
12 reasons why gays should not be married (keep in mind this is sarcastic and not written by me )
  1. Homosexuality is not natural, much like eyeglasses, polyester, and birth control are not natural.
  2. Heterosexual marriages are valid because they produce children. Infertile couples and old people cannot get legally married because the world needs more children.
  3. Obviously gay parents will raise gay children because straight parents only raise straight children.
  4. Straight marriage will be less meaningful, since Britney Spears's 55-hour just-for-fun marriage was meaningful.
  5. Heterosexual marriage has been around for a long time, and it hasn't changed at all: women are property, Blacks can't marry Whites, and divorce is illegal.
  6. Gay marriage should be decided by the people, not the courts, because the majority-elected legislatures, not courts, have historically protected the rights of minorities.
  7. Gay marriage is not supported by religion. In a theocracy like ours, the values of one religion are always imposed on the entire country. That's why we only have one religion in America.
  8. Gay marriage will encourage people to be gay, in the same way that hanging around tall people makes you tall.
  9. Legalizing gay marriage will open the door to all kinds of crazy behavior. People may even wish to marry their pets because a dog has legal standing and can sign a marriage license.
  10. Children can never succeed without both male and female role models at home. That's why single parents are forbidden to raise children.
  11. Gay marriage will change the foundation of society. Heterosexual marriage has been around for a long time, and we could never adapt to new social norms because we haven't adapted to cars or longer lifespans.
  12. Civil unions, providing most of the same benefits as marriage with a different name are better, because a "separate but equal" institution is always constitutional. Separate schools for African-Americans worked just as well as separate marriages will for gays & lesbians.
Everyone should be treated equal without exception. NO COMPROMISE.
A number of these reasons why one should be against the idea of gay marriage, if me and you were to go back in time to 1964 a LOT of thse arguements ( some word for word ) were used by many against the idea of inter-racial marriages. "..keep the races pure" was one arguement that was said and yes many brought the Bible into it as well. Many places it was illegal for such a marriage.

Today that is totally forgotten. Enough so that I myself know quite a few of those who are in a mixed-marraige and yet they speak out against gay marriage. I tell them that there was a time when their marriage was illegal and they just simply refuse to believe it.

Some of these statements against gay rights and of course gay marriages that I have heard over the years I just don't get. "Allow gay rights and churches will not be allowed to speak out against homosexuality" Hogwash !! Religion is a protective class and even today many churches speak out against other religions that aren't theirs. Example..my wife's church considers the Mormon church "a cult" and they are very blunt about it. Allowing gay rights isn't going to stop the practice by no means.

I actually had those tell me how much they are totally against gay marriage and yet they themselves are "living in sin" such as living with their boyfriend and girlfriend and not have any intentions of married, some even had kids out of wedlock. One woman at work who has 3 kids with her live-in boyfried acutally told me that she doesn't consider what they are doing wrong much less a "sin", but they think its just horrible that people who are gay want to get married and how they wish homosexuality would be outlawed..etc...

Since when is there a point value to sin? Seems like to some out there, there is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2008, 01:13 AM
 
8 posts, read 24,351 times
Reputation: 18
I think West Virginian's are more of a live and let live type of people than outsiders want to give credit for........ whether they agree or disagree with your lifestyle.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2008, 06:50 AM
 
4,714 posts, read 11,722,194 times
Reputation: 1049
Thank-You KimberRN...you summed it all up in just a few words...one brownie point for you..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2008, 05:08 PM
 
11,961 posts, read 12,443,602 times
Reputation: 2772
Default psychological self defense

Forgive me in advance, I seem to be violating blog nettiquette with TMI about in depth things. This thread is a sorrowful subject, reminding everyone of the taste of how it is to be on the recieving end of nonsense.

I call it nonsense because discrimination has no basis in reality. Oppression, although real as physically imposed upon us by others, doesn't validate their claims of inferiority. It's the moment we internalize the crapioca people put on us that we enable others to control us. In that moment, the jailor can be lazy at maintaining this ridiculous illusion, because we willingly wear our mental chains and yokes, complicitly surrendering our own will. The formal psychological dynamics are called 'projection and 'introjection'.

How repugnant that human beings would devolve into baboons hiding behind a made-in-china flag of false patriotism, evoking christian righteousness to justify the abuse of others! Presuming these people have the capacity for reason, to that alleged divine right I ask, what would jesus say about what you're doing in his name? To that alleged patriotism I answer, We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by THEIR creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

Anyone whose happiness relies upon abusing their fellow human beings disqualifies themselves from legitimate participation in civilization. The formal psychological term for this is 'sociopath'. Don't be fooled by their authoritative position or choice of venue. You'll know them by their contempt.

Whatever label someone wants to slap on me with an unqualified opinion becomes irrelevant when I lend them no credence. That's the power of mind and faith. Before I was heterosexual, before I wore a hat, before I graduated from this or got a medal for that, before I was Eileens daughter, before I was even female, I was a human being first and foremost. We ALL are. Everything beyond that point are gifts and invitations we live out, and no matter what we deny or embrace, we pay for it with our leased physical existence.

I don't know a soul who's been untouched by those who claim they love you but use it as a tool to manipulate. Understand how people get led around by their need for love and acceptance in a relationship or a community? Real love cannot be earned, only given and recieved, but turns rancid when used as currency. It starts from the inside with self love and echos outward in the example you lead with your own life.

Gottaherd, it's very costly to get wrapped up in chasing after the tumors in someones head if they aren't willing to part with them. That's mimicing the very behavior that makes their position weak- they lack self awareness/control and in turn have serious boundary issues about those around them. They want to sell me the idea that you're immoral, an abomination to god, and deny your right to exist. Shame on me if I buy into it, but honestly, would you want to know me if I were stupid enough to buy it? That's not what our country was founded on.
Your rights, as well as rights for women, blacks, minorities of any sort, are already established as the cornerstone of this nation. How have gays been denied their birthright as americans and human beings? Challenge the law.
Until you see that law as innately unifying, you've willingly excluded yourself from the rest of humanity, but simultaneously claiming alienation. How's that working out for you?

my preliminary conclusion, in my own studies based on the same ageless struggle, is that it's less important for you to listen to an outside source, than to listen to the part of you that is one with your god. It will enable you to cultivate discernment of what you allow to take root into your mind, which is the pivot point that steers your life. Very valuable real estate if you think about it. Wonder why weasels are trying so hard to convince you? They're desperate for their own ideas to be validated by YOU.

Knowledge is power; the ideas I mentioned are derived from the living work of ghandi, mother theresa, khalil gibran, the declaration of independence, the us constitution, karol wojtyla, jesus, martin luther king, krishnamurti, aikido, sun tzu, dalai lama, the bahai faith and theosophical society.
insight re: cartesian thought shaping our culture http://www.gilacommunity.com/CartBuddhist.html
& textbook on social psych called "the social animal" by elliot aronson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top