Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 05:50 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times

Advertisements

An interesting take on the election results:

Election Infographic Shows Most Educated States Voted For Obama | Happy Place

Would raising education levels in the state make WV blue again or is this another example of correlation not meaning causation? Does the Democratic party need to do a better job of reaching out to voters at all levels?

Last edited by CAVA1990; 11-10-2012 at 06:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 06:30 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,042,956 times
That is very misleading. It creates the false impression that being liberal is somehow tied to intelligence and education. That is not the case at all. There are different types and levels of education. The majority of business graduates, for example, tend to be conservative and nobody with any knowledge of the system would suppose that a business degree is "easier" to obtain than a sociology degree. Lawyers are highly educated and they tend to break about 50-50 on the liberal - conservative scale.

The liberal arts types typically identify themselves as liberal. Many other disciplines have the opposite identity. Since liberal arts degrees might be considered as not as difficult to obtain than some of the others one might suppose, rightly or wrongly, that those voting "blue" as you put it are actually less educated. It just depends on your personal slant on things.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:47 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,236,021 times
West Virginia's reputation as a "red" state is pretty recent. In the 17 presidential elections from 1932 through 1996, WV voted Republican only three times (Ike in 1956, Nixon in 1972, and Reagan in 1984). Yet in all that time, the "degrees-obtained" level of West Virginia has probably ranked about where it does today.

Old 11-10-2012, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
That is very misleading. It creates the false impression that being liberal is somehow tied to intelligence and education. That is not the case at all. There are different types and levels of education. The majority of business graduates, for example, tend to be conservative and nobody with any knowledge of the system would suppose that a business degree is "easier" to obtain than a sociology degree. Lawyers are highly educated and they tend to break about 50-50 on the liberal - conservative scale..
You might be surprised. I suspect that a high percentage of MBAs, particularly those living in more urban environments or who are women or a minority, vote blue. The Republican party tends to attract less educated, small town, small business people .

Old 11-10-2012, 09:14 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,236,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
You might be surprised. I suspect that a high percentage of MBAs, particularly those living in more urban environments or who are women or a minority, vote blue. The Republican party tends to attract less educated, small town, small business people .
Wow, that's a lot of stereotypes for two sentences.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:50 PM

552 posts, read 738,604 times
Quote:
An interesting take on the election results:

Election Infographic Shows Most Educated States Voted For Obama | Happy Place

Would raising education levels in the state make WV blue again or is this another example of correlation not meaning causation? Does the Democratic party need to do a better job of reaching out to voters at all levels?
Looks to me like we are joining the south, we will be with Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia. Say goodbye to our independent thinking that we have always had.

Old 11-10-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boycewv View Post
Looks to me like we are joining the south, we will be with Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia. Say goodbye to our independent thinking that we have always had.
I think evangelical protestantism has brought y'all together.

Old 11-10-2012, 10:02 PM

Quote:
I disagree. Although I am not a Republican, I believe they tend to attract more affluent and overall better educated types while the Democrats have a lot of folks with minimal education. There is also a bubble headed space cadet contingent of the Democrat party that tends to support everything left leaning because they themselves are totally isolated from the consequences of doing so. It's easy to criticize investors if you have an ivory tower liberal arts college job with tenure and won't get laid off if your community's factory closes, and if you live in a gated community protected from crime and your kids go to the private school that won't be over run with illegal aliens making special demands for services for which they pay little or nothing in taxes.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:01 PM

532 posts, read 1,091,087 times
Quote:
I think evangelical protestantism has brought y'all together.
Not all of us

But we do thank those who participated in the Forty Days of Prayer which just happened to end on Election Day. They prayed for the election to heal our country, but did not pray for a particular candidate. I guess God spoke and now they are all happy.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorpus View Post
Wow, that's a lot of stereotypes for two sentences.
He's from Pittsburgh. Stereotyping is a way of life there... unless it applies to their monied gentry, then it is off limits. The town has a lot of offer to counterbalance its less desirable attributes, but open minds are in scarce supply there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia