Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 10:39 PM

2,072 posts, read 1,755,977 times

Advertisements

What do I have to do to become a coal miner? Its not a job I want but my driving record sucks right now so doubt a company would give me a chance at truck driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 08:58 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,491,738 times
The Coal industry is really down right now because of natural gas and a weak foreign market. Most mines are downsizing right now, not hiring.

I'd reevaluate your options.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:00 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,598,476 times
Look into the oil fields in the Dakotas. They are booming with really good pay.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:18 PM

708 posts, read 1,157,137 times
You have to get your 80 hour card(2 weeks of classes)certification for underground mines and 40 hour(1 week of classes)certification for strip job mines. They're fairly easy to pass. Once you have those your what's called a red hat/cap, which means a mines hires you and trains you at a position such as a roof bolter, scoop operator, buggy operator, etc, those are underground positions. After so many hours underground or above ground, you lose your red hat/cap status, and become a full fledged miner. The mines are down right now, and sometimes it's who you know at a mines that can get you on. A lot of coal mines don't want to hire red hats/caps, depending on what type of miners they have already there. Strip job mining is different, if you can run machinery like a bulldozer or know how to drive a coal truck, your more likely to get hired there, you also have to have a O3 to O5card( I know it's changed in the past several years, different O cards are different things you can or allowed to do). There are several large strip job operations that have been idled in Southern WV, so good luck with that. Driving a off road truck, they usually don't check your drivers license, you don't even have to have your license, depending on the company.

Old 12-22-2012, 03:18 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,990,155 times
Get an education... doesnt have to be a BA.. just get some certificate or degree in a non-dying industry like coal

Old 12-22-2012, 07:13 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,799,509 times
I agree the industry is dying...I think it's a waste of time to try to get into it unless you are related to a foreman or something. There are a million people with that miner's card if you go to the WV job service they send every joe schmoe that needs a job to those classes. WV has no idea how to adapt to the new world and bring jobs in that are actually going somewhere. There are no jobs in Wheeling at all I'm one of the people that have to commute to SWPA. Southeastern Ohio is even worse probably... people commute from there to Wheeling for $10/hr jobs.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:06 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,236,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
Get an education... doesnt have to be a BA.. just get some certificate or degree in a non-dying industry like coal
Follow this link, then click on Training Providers. http://www.shalenet.org/

Old 12-22-2012, 10:55 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,875,345 times
Know someone.

Coal mining jobs are not easy to get unless you got an in.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:10 AM

70 posts, read 187,063 times
If you had jobs to list for supervisors in coal with longwall where would you go to list them to get them out to the people who need them most?

Old 01-17-2013, 08:49 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,236,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycle View Post
If you had jobs to list for supervisors in coal with longwall where would you go to list them to get them out to the people who need them most?
You can list the positions available at WorkforceWV (West Virginia Department of Commerce Enroll in the MACC).

Follow the link above. On the right side of the page, there are links for Enroll, Post a Job, and Find Qualified Workers. (You have to enroll your business first, before you can post a job listing.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia