U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 08:04 PM

31 posts, read 105,634 times
Default Mobile home set up questions

Hello!

I am moving my family (sisters, mother, partner) to the Parkersburg area. I have a pretty good paying job ($62k) and my company is willing to move me anywhere in WV that I would like. I've determined that Parkersburg will be the best location for us.

We will be putting three mobile homes on a few acres. I've never owned a mobile home and have never had to set one up. I was hoping that some forum members here would be willing to share their experiences.

My questions:

1) Approximately how much does a septic system cost to dig/install in the area?

2) Approximately how much does site leveling and foundation(?) set up cost?

3) What was your per-line foot cost of bringing electricity from the road to your homesite?

4) What is the cost for water well drilling?

5) Are there any mobile home dealers that I should look at besides Oakwood and Clayton? I would love to give my $$ to a local company rather than to an out of state company. I believe in spending my $$ where I live.

I realize that all of these items will vary according to the type of soil/rock on the property. I'm just looking for ball park estimates. I'd love to know what others have paid if you are willing to share that info. The delivery and set up of the homes is included in the purchase price, at least it is for Clayton.

Oooh, a few more questions if you have a minute:

1) Are there any features that you have or wish you had on your homes in this area? Someone suggested 6inch exteriour walls because you get more insulation that way. I should also upgrade exteriour doors from what I've been told.

2) I'm mostly curious about the sub-flooring. The subflooring on the models that I looked at seemed to be made out of a low quality pressboard rather than the foot boards I'm used to seeing in residential construction. Do you have problems on your homes where dampness seeps up from the ground and into your home via the subflooring? THe pressboard seems like it would act as a sponge and would acutally pll dampness towards top flooring.

I have a few million more questions, but I won't over load you right off the bat!

I'm very excited to be your neighbor soon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 09:42 PM

8,057 posts, read 16,064,466 times
Did you check on the restrictions? Mobile homes are not allowed all over. Also 3means this will be classified as a trailer park [business not residence] you better check it out more.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:49 PM

31 posts, read 105,634 times
My real estate agent is well aware of our requirements and is making sure that we aren't in violation of restrictions and covenants. There are ways around the trailer park issue should I wish to avoid the business classification. There are reasons why we might want to have this operate as a business. My tax accountant is helping me decide.

Old 10-17-2007, 01:09 AM

8,057 posts, read 16,064,466 times
Then your agent [if you can not] should know or be able to get the laws on setting up a trailer in the area. They do change all the time. Most town/city areas are trying to force to trailers out. Some counties are also strictor than others.
1st there are the state laws
2nd the county
3rd the city

Miss even 1 tiny thing you will not get the final permit to live in the trailer. When I installed electric in Hampshire co 1990. They did not even require a cover. When I moved back to Berkely co 1992 I missed the screw that held the cover on Failed the whole inspection! The guy would not even pass it even tho he watch me put the screw in! Made an appointment for a week later! Yes it passed & I had to pay for the 2nd visit. So really there is no clear cut answer to your questions. Good Luck!

Old 10-17-2007, 02:35 AM

4,715 posts, read 8,425,230 times
If your trailer park is outside the city limits you should only have to contend with the county inspector. Find out who he is and get his input before you commit. Most trailer companies will travel a good distance to get this deal. What you describe with upgrades should cost about $70k to $95k per unit to complete. I would compare modular units because they would have the structural integrity you are wanting. They are availible in 12', 14' and 16' wide models. The wholesale cost is about the same.
A friend in Clarksburg deals in these models carrie@seeamericanhomes.com
Utilities are going to be determined by terrain. A road will be cut...the undergrounds will be along this excavation. The power company will usually install one overhead power pole...all others are up to you. This in unsightly, If this housing park is to be beautiful and landscaped, you might consider underground. Trenches will be dug for water and gas.
A large ditch-witch capable of cutting through rock should be considered. There is a lot to be considered and time and careful planning is the issue to keep the cost down.
Give Carrie a call...her company can do the entire job...and Southern States too...they do a lot of well supplies and should know of a well driller for you.

Last edited by David Kennedy; 10-17-2007 at 03:27 AM..

Old 10-17-2007, 03:21 AM

306 posts, read 835,942 times
We did this about 3 years ago...........mobile home cost was 52,000 28x80. we had ours done in a package deal that was included set up costs...a well/septic would have ran us 1800.00and up. our property is city water so we didn't have to pay that but we did have to do all our plumbing to the street.....which costs us 900.00....electric (private certified electrician) was 900.00 we had to do all our permits another 300.00. the foundation if u want block the cheapest we found was 6000.00 inclulding footers. skirting was 1400.00 we chose that way for now with a ground barrier.........we had to level our own property and have it cleared and staked......3000.00
Insurance was real difficult to find........we finally found one with the guarantee we will have concrete foundation within 5 years.......(if u want info on it let me know i will send the name of the co..)

We have No dampness thru our home no mold or anything..our electric runs 200.00 in the winter and the mobile is all electric.......
There are only certain areas for mobiles yes that is true......we chose property and it's in the city limits on a Nole so no flooding or problems with snow that could damage the home..i was real hesitate on getting a mobile up here..........but the cost of the homes were high for what we were looking for and the areas well we just won't go there..many had no central heat and air..older homes with needed work or cost u ALOT of money with the gas heating..etc..........we were looking in the l00,000.00 range..granted alot of homes on the market more now than when we arrived here it just didn't work out with us......
one thing with a mobile u find out alot of little things u didn't think of u would need it trickles the money down quick so plan ahead..........don't forget to tag and register mobile at tax office..our dealership said they did but they didn't..found out by the assessor later when he was driving around........We had to stay on our dealership on moving things along..it was a 6mo. process at least........and that was with the mobile already on the dealer lot........so u rent until u can move in..and that was like pulling teeth here.........nobody moved quick for us........it was always around 'their' schedule..

oh yea our central heat and air added another 4,000.00 most don't tell ya that..alot of people don't use that here...........I'm from fla and that's alot easier on doing a mobile than here.........but i moved from a House was real skeptical on a mobile especially here and we have been fortunate no problems at all NOW and i have alot of room......for the buck...........anything else just holler..........oh yea the property tax on our land we have been waived for 2 years and yep that's real cheap less than 100.00 on 1/2 acre..me personally i wouldn't do any parks not from what i have seen..........i love where we are again it's family street and real quiet and no crime.........

hope this helps............

Last edited by confusedTee; 10-17-2007 at 04:18 AM..

Old 10-17-2007, 04:22 AM

306 posts, read 835,942 times
have to add too on our insurance we had to have certain specifications with porches decking and sidewalk another added expense..

Old 10-17-2007, 05:57 AM

2,379 posts, read 4,280,709 times
Tres,

I'd say, if at all possible, get as much insulation as you can. Oil, gas, electricity won't be getting any cheaper in the future. Ceiling and floor insulation too. Can you get low-E windows? Upgrade the door too, especially if the upgrade has better seals. One of the traditional complaints about mobile homes is that they can be "drafty".

I'd even look into seeing if you can upgrade the heating/AC unit to a higher efficiency one. It's a lot cheaper to do it initially than later.

Snorpus

Old 10-17-2007, 06:24 AM

4,715 posts, read 8,425,230 times
It costs less than $100 to upgrade a hvac unit to the next higher capacity and foamboard insulation to the block wall crawlspace is very effective and cheap to do.
Low-E windows are a standard requirement in housing but builders fake an additional cost with this item. Would suggest heat pump for hvac.
Septic system will depend on the approval of the county agent. A regular trench system with 300' of chambered drain field costs about $2500/$5000 here depending on the contractor. A girnder/clorinator system runs $5000. The 3 trailers will require a lot of land if you do 3 separate systems. It will be an issue of spacing them far enough apart to make this work effectively. Put this on the priority list...at the top.

Old 10-17-2007, 06:24 AM

1,500 posts, read 4,851,690 times
I am not sure how far Parkersburg is from Martinsburg but a few years ago we went through Countryside homes and had a double wide put on our property in Paw Paw (an hour away) and was very satisfied with them. We looked at a few different dealers and the others just basically wanted to drop the home and we would have to do the rest.

The homes has really come along way, you can and I would suggest if living in them getting the walls drywalled. Also, a thing to remember home insurance is high on a mobile home. As someone has suggested you can look at modulars as well, even the double wides you can get as modulars. You can get 2nd stories on them as well, some are really just beautiful with stone fronts and all.

As far as septic and well, ours was already in place but I believe that septics are pretty expensive. I would upgrade the exterior doors, we upgraded our front door and it is sturdy and by upgrading it is a 36'' wide. Our back door was not upgraded because I didn't want the 9 lite and it is pretty flimbsy. We also upgraded our sinks to porcelan, it wasn't that much more but really made the difference.

You can have a basement or crawl space dug to place the home but we just went with the footers since it is not a fulltime home. Make sure you have these and that the home will be tied down or you will most likely not be able to get it insured.

Also, I should say that our home is in Morgan County and I no that there is some land up from us that a family has put a few mobile homes on them as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia