U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2013, 08:51 AM

2 posts, read 10,097 times

Advertisements

Recently I had a renter move out leaving the living room and stairwell carpet destroyed by their dogs. There were a few minor stains on the carpet when they moved in but nothing to keep the house from being rented. I am trying to calculate what their cost would be for replacing the carpets. I know it is a depreciated value but I'm not sure how to calculate it. The new carpet cost me a little under $2200 and I've owned the home for 6 years but have only rented it for 3.

Also, even though only the living room and stairwell carpet were damaged I had the entire carpet replaced. The basis for this was that it would have been impossible to exactly match new carpet to old. Therefore to return the carpet to its original condition the entire carpet needed to be replaced. A lawyer friend of mine suggested this would be valid if I got a professional to attest to this train of thought. I had the installer write a simple letter saying this. If I have to go to court will this hold up?

On a third note, WV code did not have a notice period to have an itemized bill for damages before June 2011. After that the notice period is 60 days. I did not know this until the renter corrected me on the code yesterday. I will get them the itemized list immediately. What are the penalties for my deliquency?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 12:21 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,357,352 times
Isn't that just the cost of renting your place-keeping it nice so somebody will live there in the first place?

Old 01-03-2013, 01:55 PM

13,324 posts, read 35,868,511 times
My Apt Mgr told me Any Carpet OVER 5 Yrs old they are Required to replace! So No dont sound like they owe you a thing. Normal wear & tear Plus the carpet is 6 yrss old.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:58 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,654,690 times
Well that's how it works now. Landlords want to keep that deposit or take their tenants to court to pay for their expenses.

Renting out property is a business... A way to increase one's income... I'm all for that, but somewhere along the line things went horribly wrong.

However, this is one of the few types of businesses where governments the authorities have turned their cheek and imposed little regulation. Imagine if you went into Kroger to get some milk and bread and accidentally scuffed the floor and to see a surcharge at the end of your receipt showing what you paid to Kroger to help them maintain their business without using any of their funds which they've made doing business... GENIUS!

Renting has gotten really dirty. I've been renting since 2007 when I was a Junior in college... and I've only had 1 decent landlord / company out of 6 apartments. Anyway they can, they will try to scam you out of as much as possible.

One time I moved out of a place and the lady tried charging me a lighting fee to cover the electricity used for the light-bulbs in the hallways. It's sickening...

Old 01-04-2013, 03:25 PM

13,105 posts, read 6,401,188 times
The standard for carpet is that it will last 5-7 years. If you take them to court it will probably cost you more for an attorney than you will get.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:59 AM

100 posts, read 187,244 times
You learned some lessons the hard way.
Didn't you collect the rent in person each month and look at the house on a regular basis?
You may have waited too long to collect from the tenant, especially if you didn't notify them in a timely fashion.

In the future, go over the house with the tenant the day they move in and the day they officially move out. Checklists are available for noting the status of everything in the house including carpet, etc. Fill out and both of you date and sign copies for each of you.

Anything that might be a future wear and tear question, take pictures of with the tenant in the picture.
When they notify you that they are moving out, walk through the house with them. Fill out the sheet with the move out status of everything. At that time, compare the current sheet and your copy of the move-in one and copies of your pictures. Right then, let them know if you find problems.

Remember wear and tear is normal. Get immediate estimates for repair of any excessive damage and withold that amount from the security deposit. Within 15 days of their moving out, notify them in writing about the withholding (and possible additional charges), include copies of the estimates, and return any remainder of the security deposit they are entitled to. Once the repairs are made, return any extra. If you under-estimated, you are stuck.

You need to spend effort up-front picking your tenants. if you have only one house, you can be more picky, so wait for the ideal tenant, instead of renting to the first person to reply to your ad. But you do have to obey the law about notices and return of security deposit.

If this sounds like too much work, sell the house.

Last edited by HillsAndTrees; 01-07-2013 at 12:10 PM..

Old 01-07-2013, 12:33 PM

2 posts, read 10,097 times
Thank you for the responses and some useful tips. A couple of notes: I've never withheld a deposit from previous renters and that wasn't my intent this time. This wasn't normal wear and tear; this was complete destruction of the carpet by their dogs. I'm trying to be reasonable about what is my responsibility and vice versa.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:57 AM

2,429 posts, read 6,825,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgetmariewvu View Post
Thank you for the responses and some useful tips. A couple of notes: I've never withheld a deposit from previous renters and that wasn't my intent this time. This wasn't normal wear and tear; this was complete destruction of the carpet by their dogs. I'm trying to be reasonable about what is my responsibility and vice versa.
What does the lease say?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia