Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 06:54 PM

2,072 posts, read 1,755,761 times

Advertisements

Sounds good. Thanks! Oh and I was thinking of getting closer to Charleston than Madison is. What is the best town within 20 minutes of Charleston? In all directions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2018, 10:39 AM

1 posts, read 1,092 times
Hello everyone. I'm also thinking about moving to a rural part of west Virginia, that is affordable. Anyone with info, please let me know. Thank you.

Old 01-09-2018, 01:41 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,614,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyboy716 View Post
Hello everyone. I'm also thinking about moving to a rural part of west Virginia, that is affordable. Anyone with info, please let me know. Thank you.
The majority of West Virginia can be classified as rural - What are you looking for? Farmland? Woods/mountain property (you'll find a lot more of that)?, close to city or town, middle of nowhere? Do you have a job? Do you need a job? What do you consider 'affordable?'

Old 01-10-2018, 10:33 PM

5 posts, read 4,629 times
I was going to start a new thread but I suspect I can pull some insight from here just as well. I am looking to move to WV sometime in the future but I am concerned with attaining and keeping a job. I have found homes within my means, but in order to have the home, I must be able to make my payments. So here's another perspective - what area is affordable, yet most likely to see economic growth? I can research this all day and night, but I place value in the perspectives of those in the area I want to evaluate.

I am a parts advisor with an automotive dealership in the northwest. I also hold experience in heavy equipment, tractor trailers, airport maintenance vehicles, tactical vehicles, medical transportation, you name it and I've probably hand my hands in it. I have purchased and distributed an estimated $300,000 in parts, tools, and supplies in the federal / non-profit biomedical research, military, and private automotive sectors. I just want to come home responsibly to a decent house and a career that won't fold at the first sign of market correction. Where does a fellow go for this?

Old 01-11-2018, 08:09 AM

632 posts, read 831,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBlue51 View Post
I was going to start a new thread but I suspect I can pull some insight from here just as well. I am looking to move to WV sometime in the future but I am concerned with attaining and keeping a job. I have found homes within my means, but in order to have the home, I must be able to make my payments. So here's another perspective - what area is affordable, yet most likely to see economic growth? I can research this all day and night, but I place value in the perspectives of those in the area I want to evaluate.

I am a parts advisor with an automotive dealership in the northwest. I also hold experience in heavy equipment, tractor trailers, airport maintenance vehicles, tactical vehicles, medical transportation, you name it and I've probably hand my hands in it. I have purchased and distributed an estimated $300,000 in parts, tools, and supplies in the federal / non-profit biomedical research, military, and private automotive sectors. I just want to come home responsibly to a decent house and a career that won't fold at the first sign of market correction. Where does a fellow go for this?
Given what you're looking for, I'd look into Huntington, Charleston. Both of these cities are stable to growing and all affordable. Morgantown and the eastern panhandle are experiencing the most growth but housing prices compared to the others are much higher

Old 01-11-2018, 03:18 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,881,622 times
Quote:

I live in Wood County (Parkersburg).

There is the Bureau of Fiscal Affairs in Parkersburg that has a procurement department that may interest you. Being a federal job, there is definitely stability.

Also, Hino Motors has announced it is introducing a new line of trucks and will be hiring many positions once it gets the building prepared down at Mineral Wells. They will also be moving an assembly plant down there from Williamstown to combine with their new line. Rumors are there is already interest in the former building in Williamstown and that could become a future possibility. Hino is a line from Toyota.

The Clarksburg/Fairmont area has some aviation related industries but I don't have any idea what all they do. I do know there is concern they may lose a maintenance facility for a major airline which would not be a stable move but other facilities may exist with a more solid future.

Old 01-11-2018, 09:26 PM

bballjunkie and 304eer, thanks for chiming in.

I would definitely consider a federal position given the stability that accompanies it, so long as I can verify my eligibility for such a position. It is definitely on the table. I am unfamiliar with Parkersburg, but a search on Google shows images of Yankee guns and tanks. How bad can it be?

As far as Hino Motors, I am familiar with their efforts as a subsidiary for Toyota. I remember seeing their vehicles during my stay in Asia. If they can produce a competitive product for the American market, I see them staying for good. A place like West Virginia and the surrounding regions could benefit from a Hino rig if they provide an economic option. What I do know is I don't see many, if any Hino rigs in the northwest. To me this sends mixed messages. The northwest is where the money is; are they trying to get in or are they already fulfilling orders? Interesting, worthy of further analysis. Then again, distribution in the eastern seaboard is nothing to shake a stick at. Though, for the record, I very much favor American vehicles. They're beautiful to me, and they've saved my life. Business is business, though. I know this.

Since I have researched WV as a home, I have come to know that aerospace has a presence in the state. I was drawn to Aurora Flight Sciences in Bridgeport, near Clarksburg. My primary interest them is due to their contributions to defense industry. Call me old-fashioned, but I love this country and would love for my contributions to be in its defense by raining horror on her enemies from the sky. Sorry, it's my passion. I'm not insane, I'm an American. I believe that West Virginians share that sentiment in their own way and this is one of many reasons why I want to return. However, to hear that aerospace may lose a maintenance depot is somewhat alarming. One would need to ascertain the impact of the facility's closure in the economic realm to determine the damage to the rest of the industry. I believe this to be isolated. WV's contributions to aerospace are known in private sector and in national defense. I hope that those contributions are not in decline.

Regarding Huntington and Charleston, they are on the table so long as I can guarantee their viability as Solid Ground. I work with a man that spent time in Huntington and his accounts of drug abuse and assault are alarming. One day I intend to have a family and I want them safe. I have never been to Charleston but I have heard it is as business as business can be in WV. The eastern panhandle has come to my attention, particularly a place known as Berkeley Springs. To hear that this region sees upheaval makes it a prospect. Morgantown is certainly a hub of academics, which I imagine should bear opportunity. I can FIND a house in the area.

My time in West Virginia was spent in Summers County, in a small community near the Indian Creek and Hinton. I was young, but it left an impression on me. I can get what I want mostly online, but I cannot buy that feeling of being home. Not with a trillion dollars.

With this in mind, should any recruiters in WV be looking for talent in the August + time-frame, message me here. I'm interested in discussing options.

Old 01-12-2018, 07:09 AM

7,008 posts, read 11,304,621 times
Quote:
bballjunkie and 304eer, thanks for chiming in.

I would definitely consider a federal position given the stability that accompanies it, so long as I can verify my eligibility for such a position. It is definitely on the table. I am unfamiliar with Parkersburg, but a search on Google shows images of Yankee guns and tanks. How bad can it be?

As far as Hino Motors, I am familiar with their efforts as a subsidiary for Toyota. I remember seeing their vehicles during my stay in Asia. If they can produce a competitive product for the American market, I see them staying for good. A place like West Virginia and the surrounding regions could benefit from a Hino rig if they provide an economic option. What I do know is I don't see many, if any Hino rigs in the northwest. To me this sends mixed messages. The northwest is where the money is; are they trying to get in or are they already fulfilling orders? Interesting, worthy of further analysis. Then again, distribution in the eastern seaboard is nothing to shake a stick at. Though, for the record, I very much favor American vehicles. They're beautiful to me, and they've saved my life. Business is business, though. I know this.

Since I have researched WV as a home, I have come to know that aerospace has a presence in the state. I was drawn to Aurora Flight Sciences in Bridgeport, near Clarksburg. My primary interest them is due to their contributions to defense industry. Call me old-fashioned, but I love this country and would love for my contributions to be in its defense by raining horror on her enemies from the sky. Sorry, it's my passion. I'm not insane, I'm an American. I believe that West Virginians share that sentiment in their own way and this is one of many reasons why I want to return. However, to hear that aerospace may lose a maintenance depot is somewhat alarming. One would need to ascertain the impact of the facility's closure in the economic realm to determine the damage to the rest of the industry. I believe this to be isolated. WV's contributions to aerospace are known in private sector and in national defense. I hope that those contributions are not in decline.

Regarding Huntington and Charleston, they are on the table so long as I can guarantee their viability as Solid Ground. I work with a man that spent time in Huntington and his accounts of drug abuse and assault are alarming. One day I intend to have a family and I want them safe. I have never been to Charleston but I have heard it is as business as business can be in WV. The eastern panhandle has come to my attention, particularly a place known as Berkeley Springs. To hear that this region sees upheaval makes it a prospect. Morgantown is certainly a hub of academics, which I imagine should bear opportunity. I can FIND a house in the area.

My time in West Virginia was spent in Summers County, in a small community near the Indian Creek and Hinton. I was young, but it left an impression on me. I can get what I want mostly online, but I cannot buy that feeling of being home. Not with a trillion dollars.

With this in mind, should any recruiters in WV be looking for talent in the August + time-frame, message me here. I'm interested in discussing options.
I can speak a bit on Berkeley Springs. It is a really cool little spa town with a huge natural spring. It has a WV vibe, but is considered sorta the western most outpost of the D.C. suburban world. As such, you get an interesting mix of locals, day trippers, transplants, and spa goers.

In terms of jobs, you would be in commuting range of cities like Hagerstown, MD Martinsburg, WV and Winchester, VA. If you really like commuting, you can expand that range towards Frederick, MD. All of these cities have things going for them, and are poised to keep growing since they are in the D.C. metro market.

Old 01-12-2018, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
I can speak a bit on Berkeley Springs. It is a really cool little spa town with a huge natural spring. It has a WV vibe, but is considered sorta the western most outpost of the D.C. suburban world. As such, you get an interesting mix of locals, day trippers, transplants, and spa goers.

In terms of jobs, you would be in commuting range of cities like Hagerstown, MD Martinsburg, WV and Winchester, VA. If you really like commuting, you can expand that range towards Frederick, MD. All of these cities have things going for them, and are poised to keep growing since they are in the D.C. metro market.
You know, strangely enough, DC is supposed to do well this year. I'm sure that should will disperse through-out the area. I have heard tornadoes occasionally happen in the area. Can you confirm?

Old 01-14-2018, 08:35 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,881,622 times
I have never heard of a tornado in Berkeley Springs but my memory is not that good.

There really are no areas in WV that I would consider "prone" to tornadoes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia