Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 07:46 AM

596 posts, read 937,571 times

Advertisements

Liberals have been playing the race card on people who oppose Obama for 5 years now. They even played it on Bill Clinton. The opposition to Obama has always been he's a leftwinger who wants big government including nationalized healthcare. I'm sure there are some people who don't like him b/c he is black but he is also getting a lot of votes simply b/c he is black from white people. I think his skin color is his greatest political asset and it is the main reason he can get away with blaming Bush for the economy 4 years later. I think a lot of Americans don't feel comfortable judging a black president as harshly as they would a white president. I think if Obama was a white Democrat he would have lost pretty bad this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 10:57 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,876,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurseOfWilmore View Post
Hopefully you did catch the Sarcastic nature of that post, anyway, I'm all for anything that can make NWV prosperous. But as I've stated time and time again, we have been neglected here in deep SWV for a long time as well. This isn't a highway that goes from nowhere to nowhere, there are people this affects, real people who live, not just numbers on a map. I think your mistaken about who needs it more, you already have suffiecient highway infrastucture in place as we dont have basic,safe highway infrastrucutre at all. I'm sure on a grander scale people in the US would look at both our highway needs and say the same thing. This highway is for the empowerment of all WV. A lot of people in SWV will never drive on I-68, the Mon-Fayette Expressway, etc, but we don't bash NWV about it. The issues you have should be taken up with your elected officials in Charelston,WV, not in McDowell and Wyoming Counties.
No SWV is not neglected compared to Northern. Compared to Charleston, which gets the lion share, it is but it is much better off than say Morgantown.

Also Mon-Fayette expressway was federal. The state never had any intention of actually building it. It took them 15 years to build maybe 1 mile of it. The spending was going to your mega interstate to nowhere. Only reason it was finished is because it was earmarked in federal stimulus money. If charleston had its way it would have never went that far North. Also lets not pretend it is anything close to one of those interstates to nowhere. It is literally 5 miles of interstate, not some massive interstate in a rural area that is shrinking, much less 3.

The interstates around Morgantown are not the problem. The lack of Interstate access within Morgantown is. Downtown Morgantown, Suncrest, and other parts need interstate access. Morgantown has more people in it than any other city in WV for most of the year, regardless if they are counted as official population or not. Also the interstate system is designed crazy. Northern PA border along interstate is 5 miles from my house, along with downtown, university town center, etc. However it takes 15-25 minutes of driving on the interstate to get to these places making some massive detour. There needs to be someway to connect them better too.

Like I said I am not against you getting anything. However, I am for being practical and serving the areas that need it most, or at lest at the same time. For 10% of one of the super interstates WV Morgantown could have more than enough infrastructure. Your interstates are also not built to serve the people, there is not many among any of them. They are built for business interest, in your case coal companies that want to strip mine the area.

Also, despite if you were being sarcastic or not, welfare is the main subsistence of Southern WV. Not saying this is bad or good, but that is truth. Also most people have NOT paid in. They are getting much more than they get. Curse I am sure you are away of how certain states receive more in aid than they pay and others dont. Well in WV the northern and EP counties get pennies on the dollar, southern WV gets dollars on the penny, and Charleston gets $100 dollar bills on a penny. Like I said I am for developing all the state, but the North and EP are getting the rawest deal, and it is time for the state to start caring about us too.

Last edited by cry_havoc; 02-23-2013 at 11:06 AM..

Old 02-27-2013, 12:59 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurseOfWilmore View Post
Hopefully you did catch the Sarcastic nature of that post, anyway, I'm all for anything that can make NWV prosperous. But as I've stated time and time again, we have been neglected here in deep SWV for a long time as well. This isn't a highway that goes from nowhere to nowhere, there are people this affects, real people who live, not just numbers on a map. I think your mistaken about who needs it more, you already have suffiecient highway infrastucture in place as we dont have basic,safe highway infrastrucutre at all. I'm sure on a grander scale people in the US would look at both our highway needs and say the same thing. This highway is for the empowerment of all WV. A lot of people in SWV will never drive on I-68, the Mon-Fayette Expressway, etc, but we don't bash NWV about it. The issues you have should be taken up with your elected officials in Charelston,WV, not in McDowell and Wyoming Counties.
The Mon Fayette is a great expressway, and it brings a lot of business to Morgantown, especially in the medical areas. But, only 5 miles of that expressway is in West Virginia and that was built exclusively with Federal funds. The state drug their feet on it, himmed and hawed, built roads to nowhere, and only acted on it when the local congressman managed to get it included in the Federal stimulus money. Boss Hogg, Dipsquat Plymale, and all the other southern state politicos push everything down there whether it needs it or not. More often than not, it doesn't need it. NCWV prospers in spite of state government, not because of it. Think how it would do if we actually had a real government organization in Charleston on our side. Instead, we get their version of Dukes of Hazard.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
The Mon Fayette is a great expressway, and it brings a lot of business to Morgantown, especially in the medical areas. But, only 5 miles of that expressway is in West Virginia and that was built exclusively with Federal funds. The state drug their feet on it, himmed and hawed, built roads to nowhere, and only acted on it when the local congressman managed to get it included in the Federal stimulus money. Boss Hogg, Dipsquat Plymale, and all the other southern state politicos push everything down there whether it needs it or not. More often than not, it doesn't need it. NCWV prospers in spite of state government, not because of it. Think how it would do if we actually had a real government organization in Charleston on our side. Instead, we get their version of Dukes of Hazard.
That is the difference between Morgantown and SWV.

Morgantown had HUGE economic growth despite no roads being built. Morgantown didnt need to argue, "we need this road for economic growth." The economic growth was already happening, but it needed the road as a result of the growth because more people moved in.

Somewhere like SWV doesnt have economic growth. THe hope that some road that goes from nowhere to nowhere in any area with no jobs is not going to cause any growth. The whole mentality, "but some miracle may happen and a very small of economic growth MIGHT happen as a result of this highway," is misguided.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:29 AM

8 posts, read 13,119 times
Hillary Clinton if elected would be the second train wreck, Obama being the first. We as a nation would not survive. We need a President that is strong in honesty, love and steady in strenght. A patriot who will restore rule of law and uphold the constitution. No career politician will ever do that. A vote for Hillary Clinton would be a vote for continued failure and self destruction as a nation.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polemid View Post
Hillary Clinton if elected would be the second train wreck, Obama being the first. We as a nation would not survive. We need a President that is strong in honesty, love and steady in strenght. A patriot who will restore rule of law and uphold the constitution. No career politician will ever do that. A vote for Hillary Clinton would be a vote for continued failure and self destruction as a nation.
This belongs in political forum.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:42 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,827,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polemid View Post
This is the dumbest thing I've ever read on the West Virginia forum. Can't wait to see "post #4".

Old 03-08-2013, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
This is the dumbest thing I've ever read on the West Virginia forum. Can't wait to see "post #4".
IDK some of our regulars from the southern part of the state say really dumb things. This forum is infamous for dumb post due to them. I'd say that post is jot even close.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:06 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
It could be a while. It took over 4 years for the 3rd post to show up.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:27 AM

537 posts, read 958,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
It could be a while. It took over 4 years for the 3rd post to show up.
Next one will probably be 4 years from now, as he's scratching his head trying to figure out why once again a Democrat has been elected President. Republicans just can't figure it out! I mean, God, guns, apple pie... what more could people ask for?!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia