U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 03:47 PM

4,698 posts, read 7,313,698 times
Why is a bad connotation that West Virginia is like 'one giant state park'? It would be GREAT if recreational outdoor sports were a top tier draw and base for employment within the state.

Look at it this way- wouldn't it be a lot nicer to ski down some snow covered slopes rather than blast the **** off the top of it, pull out the coal then fill the valley below?

I sure think so.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:52 PM

394 posts, read 569,892 times
Do we really need to convert the one who doesn't like WV?
The other question- why does she want to proof we are wrong??

Dear Ohio, if your points work for you -it's great. They don't work for me. If WV living didn't work out for you it doesn't mean WV is bad. It means you just didn't have luck here.
I wish you the best in OH.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:56 AM

107 posts, read 239,295 times
Im glad ohio residents live in ohio and wv true residents live here..there is a big difference..If you dont like it here leave but just maybe someone else may..given the chance

Old 11-06-2007, 09:57 AM

30 posts, read 49,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Look at it this way- wouldn't it be a lot nicer to ski down some snow covered slopes rather than blast the **** off the top of it, pull out the coal then fill the valley below?

I sure think so.
How are you going to ski at all if you can't make any money? Maybe you're a doctor. I'd say the doctors love it the way it is. The state is pretty much theirs because nobody else can make any money. Jobs are scarce, even for the educated.

Old 11-06-2007, 12:43 PM

8 posts, read 12,628 times
To Ohio is Utopia:
Although many of the issues you have raised have validity, to say we are all losers living a dark and dreary life is not only a fallacy but a bit on the dramatic side. I may not live in a mansion (or most of my family) but then I have no desire to either.

Living in West Virginia to me is a trade off. I COULD move to an area that has more jobs, crime, traffic, housing developments, and maybe even a lot more activities to satisfy entertainment, cultural and spiritual needs and wants. BUT...what makes you think it makes for a HAPPIER person?

People are different in what they want out of life, not everyone who grew up in West Virginia thinks it is such a horrible and dismal place. I relish the thought of my children being raised in an environment much like I was raised. Although jobs are harder to come by, you can either make your skills work for you or continue to wallow in what you don't have and blame the rest of the world.

I see NOTHING wrong with people moving and making the kind of life they WANT a reality, but making life better isn't always about MONEY and making West Virginia the kind of place we want cannot happen if we all move away with a bitter taste in our mouths and complain about how everything is. (It's like voting...if you do not take the time to VOTE ...IN West Virginia..then you really do not have a right to complain when things are not as you think they should be.)

Not to mention, I have been to Ohio, we have family there, and I am the opposite of you, I wouldn't want to live in Ohio. It has some beautiful scenery and most people were nice. BUT..the traffic in some areas is a nightmare and the roads were not that good...bumpy and unkempt in some areas for one. Not to mention when we stopped off at a rest area over the West Virginia border into Ohio...the actual BATHROOM was nothing more than a hole in the ground, basically...an outhouse. NOT a great impression when one first enters the state of Ohio. I do not take the negative things I found on my few visits as the WHOLE STATE OF OHIO. I would not say that because I had a few negative experiences the few times I have been to Ohio that the whole state is dismal, dark and losers...(although one would think properly working rest areas would be a given), I enjoyed my visits and plan to return every couple years.

West Virginia is not perfect but I doubt any one state is the UTOPIA for anyone.

Old 11-06-2007, 01:02 PM

You're taking it too personally. If you got a good job in WV, it's likely you either got it 20-30 years ago or you're in the medical field. The state is dead last in economy, and it's all because of environmentalist wackos, tax till you drop Democrats, and judicial hell. Why would any business locate in WV? The politicians are keeping the state what it is and they are quickly turning it into nothing more than a state park and a retirement farm.

For somebody in their 20s not in the medical field, it's rough. I could have stayed if I wanted to, but honestly there's nothing there. Ohio has the Reds, Bengals, and Buckeyes, all of which were closer to me even when I lived in WV than WVU was. How about that? A state that locates its major college on the northern border, very inconvenient. OSU is closer to Huntington than WVU is. It's almost as if the state is encouraging people to cross the borders.

And I voted every election, did it help? NO, because I'm only one person. One person can't negate all the "my daddy was a Democrat so I'm one too" morons who keep electing Robert C. Byrd because he mooched money from the feds to build roads to nowhere.

Old 11-06-2007, 01:53 PM

8 posts, read 12,628 times
No, I don't take it personally. I am happy for you. No, I didn't get my job 20-30 years ago..I am only 42. My husband is in the federal gov. and I am a Social Worker and guess what? Neither of us have a degree..we left before we could finish and still worked our way to where we are. BUT...see what you do not realize..is people have different values and views of what is important to make their life fulfilling.

My oldest is now 19, going to college, working full time and starting her own business...so it can be done.

Personally, I couldn't give a hoot about the Reds, Bengals and Buckeyes...it would be nice if WV had a professional team just for the economics of it..but I am not a big fan of organized sports...I want mountains to hike, rivers to fish and woods to hunt..we have that.

Since my politics are VERY different from what you seem to have..I won't even go there...another personal view kind of thing.

Good luck..enjoy Ohio..and I hope you do go far....but don't expect everyone to see your views as the correct view on issues...although you do have some valid points as I said....NOWHERE on this earth is Utopia ...we may just have a mind of our own regardless of your stereotype of our abilities here in West Virginia and can make our own choices of what we believe, who we vote for and what we see as valuable to our lives without throwing the baby out with the bath water so to speak.

Old 11-06-2007, 02:16 PM

Seems like you fall into the "I love my state park and nothing else state" category, and that's good. WV can be a good place to raise a family, go fishing, hiking, outdoors, etc.

The state would be much better if things would have been done differently, but they weren't. I don't know where you're from in WV, but I was from the Huntington area and the job market STUNK there.

Now, this is Huntington we're talking here. The 2nd largest city in the state. How terrible must it be if you're from the Logan area or somewhere like that? I'd have shot myself 5 years ago if I had to live there. That's what I'm talking about when I say dark and depressed hole. Sun rarely even gets down in the hole, whole town covered in coal dust, dropouts abound, a total mess.

Personally if I was 60 years old and was ready to retire, I'd consider the WV mountains. They're beautiful, the air is fresh and clean, no hustle and bustle. I'm speaking from the perspective of a 24 year old man who would like to make a few bucks and watch a few ballgames before I get to the point where I'm just milking the clock on life.

Old 11-06-2007, 03:33 PM

2,957 posts, read 3,540,269 times
From my experience, the job market in Huntington isn't as bad as you say. I'm 27 years old and I made $12,000/year more at my job right off the bat just moving from Morgantown to here and my wife couldn't even find a job up there in the interior design field. Yet she found one here right away and only had to do one interview. And in terms of the engineering field, my dad was an engineer, my brother was an engineer and I have 2 cousins in the area who are also engineers. None have ever had a problem finding a job and I've never heard any of them complain about the amount of money they made at their jobs.

I'm not saying that the area couldn't use more high paying jobs because lord knows it could. If the job situation were as bleak as the picture you paint though, the unemployment rate would be a lot higher here.

Old 11-06-2007, 03:58 PM

2 posts, read 4,285 times
Default need advice on traveling new year's eve to Glade Springs Resort

I was involved in a serious accident and I am afraid to travel mountains. Can anyone describe the route from NC to Beckley or Glade Springs, New Year's Eve?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia