Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 10:40 PM

70 posts, read 159,298 times

Advertisements

Al, you're entitled to your opinion - as it is, we already pay too many taxes on top of Federal and State.

Old 11-02-2007, 10:24 AM

30 posts, read 77,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Al View Post
Car insurance is not higher than in CT, MA and other eastern states.
Electricity is 3-5 times cheaper.
C'mon, cost of living is low in WV.
But I was comparing WV to OH. I lived in the Huntington area and many people advised newcomers to move across the river to Proctorville or Chesapeake, OH.

From what I hear, people also move over the borders to VA, PA, MD, and KY as well but I don't know the price of things there.

Huntington is tough to get a job in unless you're in the medical field.

Old 11-02-2007, 11:13 AM

4,934 posts, read 8,880,544 times
It can be tough to find a job in certain fields in Huntington but I think this is true of any place, especially WV. I think overall though, the Huntington area and the larger cities in WV in general, do a very good job at maintaining and increasing the jobs available and the statistics show this. September was the lowest month ever for the unemployment rate in the state. Check out the link below for county statistics.

http://www.wvbep.org/bep/lmi/datarel/drcntylf.htm

Old 11-02-2007, 11:56 AM

107 posts, read 359,394 times
People complain about the state of living prices in wv?! how they must have never been to many other places where it is triple everything..Big_Al is right

Old 11-02-2007, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
the Huntington area and the larger cities in WV in general, do a very good job at maintaining and increasing the jobs available and the statistics show this.

http://www.wvbep.org/bep/lmi/datarel/drcntylf.htm

Perhaps other cities, but all Huntington gets are new telemarketing and customer service jobs.

These are low skill, low pay, and low life jobs that don't support financial security and help foster the losing attitude in the area. When you have to scrape to make it paycheck to paycheck life isn't very good. Eventually, widespread alcohol and drug use sets in, then welfare isn't far behind.

Old 11-02-2007, 01:12 PM

74 posts, read 368,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio is Utopia View Post
Perhaps other cities, but all Huntington gets are new telemarketing and customer service jobs.

These are low skill, low pay, and low life jobs that don't support financial security and help foster the losing attitude in the area. When you have to scrape to make it paycheck to paycheck life isn't very good. Eventually, widespread alcohol and drug use sets in, then welfare isn't far behind.
Name me one city in the US that DOES NOT get telemarketing and customer service jobs-- they are everywhere. Don't complain about these kinds of jobs popping up here and there, at least they aren't being outsourced to other countries.

As for these being the only types of jobs available in Huntington, I know from personal experience that they are not. Sometimes you have to put in a little effort and look for the job that you want. After I graduated from college (WVU) I began looking for a job, and the only one that I could find that was what I wanted to do and offered a good salary was in Huntington. I know I probably could have easily found a job in another state, but WV is my home and I wanted to stay here because it is a fantastic place to live and raise a family.

By the way... I don't work in the medical field, either

Old 11-02-2007, 02:04 PM

Oh, I found a job in Huntington, for 25% below market value. Turned it down and moved to Ohio for market value. Cost of living is no higher here either.

Many college students in WV must move away for work or accept much less to stay home. MUCH less. Thank goodness I wanted out anyway.

Old 11-02-2007, 04:41 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,268,770 times
You have hit on an important point. Getting a job.
In the old days it was a thing that was taught.

Now its a resume filter sitting in some office and doing her/his nails and taking every other 6th resume blindly for interview.

Or the Job Fair where prospective employers can see if you have all of your teeth and can walk in a straight line.

In the old days, the teacher hosted a role play...the interviewer and the interviewee.

It didn't matter if you were interviewing for the state road or the college.
It was a role of presentation to someone who would be giving you a paychek for your time.
One of the changes that existed then was the fact that some of the employers actually expected a person to do a little work for that time. You were expected to go out and get a job.

This was high school...possibly Civics. Is anything like this taught now? Is it lost in the shuffle? We have Guidance Counselors now...Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Let me get my breath...

Old 11-02-2007, 05:02 PM

396 posts, read 920,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
You have hit on an important point. One of the changes that existed then was the fact that some of the employers actually expected a person to do a little work for that time.
Bravo! Exactly! They expected a person to do a little work, also they expected a person to work hard after the person was hired. And a person knew he could be fired. Then unions came. They came for a good reason but created a mess eventually. Vladimir Lenin called unions "the school of communism". What we have now? Japanese Toyota plant in WV has NO union. Every year unions make an attack, they have rallys etc trying to convert toyota workers into unionism. And every year they say no.
Japanese factory lives by american rules-work hard, be responsible. The same time american factories live by soviet rule- work as sloppy as you can but you'll be paid and protected from being fired. The result- prices- up, quality -down. Unions wanted to preserve US jobs but the same unions drove jobs overseas!
If Manchin cut welfare 80% preserving money for old and debilitated only we could get great results. People would HAVE to go and get a job.
I think it's stupid and wrong when u can get a government check doing nothing bigger than u can get working for a minimal wage.

Old 11-02-2007, 05:21 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,268,770 times
Bigger catastrophe than the labor unions...the TEACHERS UNION.

I blame it for the shambles our education system has become. (Exceptional teachers working around and in spite of the system excepted) they caused its ruination in a scant 30 year period...1970-2000 R.I P.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia