Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 06:04 PM

836 posts, read 3,369,728 times

Advertisements

I know this isn't part of this discussion,.. but I would like to know what are is the best to live in, in WV?..We are being relocated and we do not want to live in VA but my husband will be commuting to DC... were mostly looking on the eastern side of the state closet to VA. Such as Wardensville Stephens City and surrounding area and Charles Town and surrounding area?
I would like to know which area is best to live in, which area has best schools, What type of shopping is in these area? Are the hospitals in these area good..Do they have a good a Cardiac Care Center, if not what is the closet town that does?
What type of other medical doctors are in these areas?.. such as family practice and dentist..etc. What is the weather like in the winter? Does these areas get lots of snow? And most important.. Is there a Harley Davidson Store near any of these towns??

Thanks

Old 11-02-2007, 09:46 PM

8 posts, read 18,149 times
I really don't understand the need to bad mouth West Virginia (or at least it's people..the gov/politics is something altogether different.) Yes, we DO have problems...but what state doesn't? IF you love Ohio..or any other state..then great...prosper and enjoy.

I do understand the 'redneck' remark...but I also see it as I would rather know my enemy (or simply those I want to avoid) face to face. I have come across plenty of people who have the income and education but not the INTELLIGENCE to see people for whom they are and a $1,000+ suit, six figure salary and a more prominent zip code does not in anyway give someone the advantage in civility or intelligence.

If WV is so distasteful I do wonder why anyone bothers to clink the link for West Virginia in this forum. It is nice to get and give information to those who seek it and even to debate issues..but if one's goal is to simply disparage and ridicule West Virginians who love our state and chose to stay and MAKE it better for the next generation..then I can't help but question how satisfied you are in your 'new and improved' location.

I think West Virginians who chose to stay here KNOW they are making a trade off. Better paying jobs are beyond our borders, yes. BUT not everyone feels more money is the seed to success. I have often wondered what living somewhere else would be like. And yes, at times envy the advantages other states have.....then I see the stats on crime, natural disasters, traffic, and slews of other problems many in the rest of the nation face on a daily basis and I thank God he gave me the advantage of West Virginia as my home.

Old 11-02-2007, 10:01 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,093,513 times
I have only visited the EXTREME southern tip of WV a few years ago, but from what I have seen in photos, its a beautiful state. I am in extreme northeast Tennessee, so not too far away, but never had a reason to go up there. I was near the Richlands VA area last summer, which is close to Bluefield. My dad has a friend that lives near Beckley. He has lived there all his life and from what I understand, he dislikes it and the people. Surely its not that bad.

I see alot of people around here move to Florida, only to return a few months later. Its not all the easy life they thought it would be I suppose. Hopefully things will get better there for you.

Old 11-03-2007, 12:33 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,268,770 times
I think it's in the water...
My brother worked in Ohio for 22 years. Married a girl from here and raised their family in Ohio. They lived in rural Ohio, near Hyrum. Really nothing there..flat ground...nearest town 10 miles away.
When he was re-called to his old job in West Virginia he came home running....
Wife could not re-adjust...she was going back home...nothing was as good...
She was saying the same negative phrases that she used in Ohio when they lived there.
My brother makes 3 times the money here, they have new vehicles and a bigger home.

Its attitude...if a person cannot be happy, they won't be happy. It dosen't matter where you live or what you do...its all from within...
We must allow ourselves to like ourselves...just a little...that's the begining...

Old 11-03-2007, 01:05 AM

Wolfeyes:

You are picking one of the most remote areas of West Virginia..these mountains are solid rock with a scattering of timber and pine. 40 years ago this land could not be given away...now its value is determined buy the price the buyer will pay. Wardensville was a blip on the old Winchester trail into the Moorefield Valley...now its becoming part of the Corridor H and a new gateway into our land. I can understand why you want information...what you are looking for does not partiularly exist. If You are comparing it to urban maryland...it does not compute.

To give you answers to your questions:

1. The nearest Harley dealer is in Winchester.
2. The best Cardiac Care facility would be in Baltimore, Morgantown and Winchester.
3. What level of shopping? These locales cater to basic services, nothing more.
4. Schools? The choice is slim to one...I would home school.
5. Basic medical services in Moorefield...more advanced in Winchester and Harrisonburg.

Old 11-03-2007, 07:55 AM

Thanks for some info.....Nope not comparing anything to Maryland.. We live in NC. We was suppose to relocate to Fort Knox, KY, (This move to Wv/Va is just a 2 year Temporary move) but the building he is moving to won't be ready for 2 years.. so they want to relocate us to DC.. in which neither of us wants to live in the DC area.. so they gave us an option to be within a 2 hour drive of DC... and a few people he works with lives on the WV/VA line. So we decided to look over that way.. and plus we don't like VA. So WV is where were looking. And Yes we are Homeschooling right now and figured we would until we got moved out to KY. What about Charles Town area is it an ok area to live in?

Old 11-03-2007, 09:10 AM

Wolfeyes:
C-town is ok...but to us locals it seem to be part of a new foreign country...See my earlier posts to Micheleroll about Martinsburg...on this WV forum...that entire area seems transient with no real people anchoring into the land.
I guess if it fits the need...that's all a home has to do.
That entire area, to me is having a difficult time building a solid community....and that's what has to happen to have real peace.
C-town will be closer to the things you are expecting. 2 hrs driving in any direction can take you to everything.
If you're coming up from Ft. Knox and the Carolinia's, I think you'll feel at home. Winter will be little more snowy but Spring breaks in February. Give that area a day trip...you can't get lost.

Old 11-03-2007, 10:31 AM

OK Thanks.. we plan to go up that way soon and check out a few areas.

Old 11-03-2007, 11:49 PM

2 posts, read 4,659 times
I can't comment on why people stay, but I can tell you why I'm coming! WV is by far the most beautiful state I've had the pleasure of visiting. My grandmother lived (until this spring) outside of Harrisville for as long as I can remember and I always loved the drive. I bought my retirement home south of Lewisburg last year. I plan on retiring at 45, so I have 7 years left to finish my remodeling. My home is peaceful and secluded with an abundance of wildlife (no lions yet, so far). I can easily get to Lewisburg for fine dining or unique shopping or just pick up essentials at the nearby Kroger. The beautiful Greenbrier river is only a few minutes away, too. Amenities that I desire are within driving distance, but home will be where my heart is.

After years of dealing with the rat race, traffic, crime, etc. I am ready to move to the country. As noted in prior postings, economics keeps me from moving tomorrow. I am also aware of every area having some sort of crime, but where I am now I get a solid thirty minute newscast with one shooting after another being reported. Please don't even get me started on the local political scene.

I can't wait to get there! I will be happy to be there and if there is something that I don't like I will try to contribute to help change it!

Old 11-04-2007, 12:36 AM

396 posts, read 920,312 times
I still think that WV is great. Beautiful nature, weather, people and, of course, low cost of living. Can't thank myself for the best move I ever done. Awesome. Thank you WV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia