Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 05:32 AM

306 posts, read 1,241,275 times

Advertisements

with all the poverty and economic issues going on why do u stay or come back...........there are many other places that have better jobs etc......

If u could afford to leave would u?

I hear so many complain about the money issues and 'nuthin' to do around my town but they STILL stay.......when i ask them they just look at me puzzled..really if they are soo unhappy why are there so many families raising families here and keep having more families..........Life is to short to be unhappy.....I'm not trying to make this sound mean by all means i am just puzzled...........

Old 10-22-2007, 11:51 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,962,271 times
Well, we have to stay in WV another 2 1/2 years until my husband retires from the State. Many years ago when home prices were reasonable, we purchased a vacation home on an island off the coast of Maine. An 1879 4 square farmhouse and we remodel a room every year. Since I am already retired, I spend the summers on the island painting, sanding, supervising the contractor. As soon as he retires, we will be out of WV for good.

We are born and bred in WV but the last few years WV seems to be changing and not for the better. With all the meth labs sprouting up in the Charleston area and other areas and the crack houses seemingly on every block. Not enough police protection and the utterly stupid Charleston user fee that will double next year along with the petty politicians, it's time for us to move to our vacation house for the rest of our lives.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:38 PM

13,914 posts, read 39,155,306 times
Right now I am waiting on my son then hopefully we can find a place in FL.

Old 10-23-2007, 02:09 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,284,517 times
I've been everywhere and almost did everything in those places everywhere. Those places seem to be changing in a hurry.

A friend just returned from Hong Kong and said the air pollution was so bad you could cut it with a knife. Once, that bay looking at Kowloon was so pristine and beautiful. West Virginia doesn't have that yet...I think we can keep most of it the same.
I think we can repel the posing 'Gang culture' and dope problems that are begining
to plauge other areas....as long as I'm hopeful, I'll stay.
West Virginia has been good to me....that's why I stay.

Old 10-23-2007, 04:45 AM

306 posts, read 1,241,275 times
man i know what ya mean about charleston..it's such a shame.......those are the first highlights it seems like on their news and the shootings..

Fla? what part?

yes me too now since i am learning how to make ends meet..We still go thru our lists of states that maybe maybe then i go thru differ sites, C-D sure gives u great advice on differ places the good and the bad........Like i told hubby the other nite u know u got to live somewhere and if up to U on what's best for u and your family..WV has that NOW for us.......I do get frustrated at times here..Then i pull out my lists and start comparing yep WV has been good to us......it's not easy i don't think any place has 'all' positive points any more..........The U.S. is changing i wish i could say for the better..(my opinion only)

Old 10-23-2007, 07:20 AM

Trying to fight crime with a liberal mindset is futile.
Criminals are not liberal...they are total destroyers of peace and the public welfare. Moslem countries do not seem to have much problem cutting off an arm or a head for criminal acts against the /church/state.
Seems extreme too...but Hitler did the equivilant and he looked good doing it in his uniform. WE can turn or return to this type of madness in a short moment.

I remember reading about Mao's decision to solve the drug problem in China...was begun by the English who would not pay for their trade goods with hard curreny, but paid with opium...Killed the country literally.
When Mao came to power in the late 1940's, he had huge graves dug...rounded up the dope pedlars and addicts and simply killed them. Problem was solved quickly and everyone beame a good communist farmer.
Personally, I believe a person has the right to kill themselves...dope, a gun or any other means..What I also believe is they do not have the right to take others with them.

I do not expect our legislature to do any real thing to solve any of these problems as they are reactionary...and they have shown with their desire to make West Virginia a gambling state that these problems are not issues with them...Its about the money...

In this blog, many people are fleeing a dangerous place and seeking a safer, cheaper place to live. I hope West Virginia can become what they want.

Old 10-23-2007, 01:33 PM

2,800 posts, read 9,991,907 times
I find it pretty odd. I just checkedModerator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed and compared the crime index between Charleston, WV with the town I live in...they are exactly the same.

There is crime here where I live, however, most of that crime happens within the drug community. Of course there are the wackos that do not discriminate, but for the most part, most of the crime happens amongst the druggies. I don't know if it's the same in WV, but now I really have to wonder if WV isn't as happy and "safe" as I thought it might be OR if the town I live in is worse than I give it credit for.

Last edited by Yac; 01-08-2008 at 04:39 AM..

Old 10-23-2007, 03:38 PM

107 posts, read 359,969 times
If you dont like wv then you should leave.You have to enjoy the outdoor world to live in this state and if you dont then I dont see why in the world you would not be somewhere else.There are tons of places in wv that I cant compare to anywhere..I have been around the world and Greenbrier,Summers,Monroe are still some prettiest places I have seen. Im not the big city guy i guess thats why i am here and Im successful just fine with property in the south but for investments.Everybody complains about wv until they leave it seems.Am I alone in these thoughts?

Old 10-23-2007, 03:47 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,764,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Right now I am waiting on my son then hopefully we can find a place in FL.
Please, please investigate FL thoroughly before you come. I've been here for 5 years...and I'm looking to "escape". The locale and weather are beautiful....but the economy is deceiving (lots of jobs...few pay well...yet real estate and cost of living are through the roof). I don't have children, but most parents are completely disgusted with the public schools down here. Every major FL city has issues (big issues) with crime.

I do admit though...if I made an extra....oh 30K a year, I would stay. But as a single woman, I just can't think about buying a house down here. 300K is the asking price in the cities. And outside the cities....work pays even less. It's sad, because FL did have a lot of potential...

Old 10-23-2007, 04:07 PM

Crime rates are determined by population density...If you have X population you have Y crime incidents...Its a porportion thing...The small towns here have very little crime and the people feel safe...
Florida has pressure on it to provide for the Cuban Invasion...20 years ago, it did not have this Welfare Albatross around its neck...The solution will be to grant Cuba statehood when Castro goes...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia