U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 03:22 PM

4 posts, read 10,768 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me if commuting from Pittsburgh to Wheeling Hospital daily is do able? And if so what they are spending in gas.
This new job Im considering has a better pay and the hours are 7 am- 7pm some days and 7am-4pm other days.
Does anyone have any advice?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 03:53 PM

2,429 posts, read 6,692,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior85 View Post
Can anyone tell me if commuting from Pittsburgh to Wheeling Hospital daily is do able? And if so what they are spending in gas.
This new job Im considering has a better pay and the hours are 7 am- 7pm some days and 7am-4pm other days.
Does anyone have any advice?
Like many things, it depends.

First of all, from where in Pittsburgh? There's probably 15-20 minutes difference between leaving from the South Hills vs East Liberty, yet they're both "Pittsburgh".

Let's use the I-79/I-376 interchange between Carnegie and Robinson as a starting point. Google Maps puts that 50 miles (and 50 minutes) from Wheeling Hospital. That makes it a 100 mile round trip commute. Assume $3.50/gallon of gasoline. If your car gets 40 mpg, that's 2.5 gallons/day or $8.75. If it gets 33.3 mpg, that's 3 gallons per day, $10.50. If it gets 25 mpg, that's 4 gallons per day, or $14.00.

Not to mention wear and tear on your car. 100 miles per day is 2000 miles per month, or 24,000 miles per year, just for the commute.

Personally, I could see doing this for a year, tops, before I either move or find a job closer to home.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:31 PM

4 posts, read 10,768 times
Thank you that is some wonderful insight.

I am in Robinson area so I wouldnt be coming through those tunnels, and I have mapped it to be about $10 per day.
I really don't want to move but I don't want to burn out either. Just wanted to see if anyone had experienced this commute on a daily basis.

Thanks again.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:36 PM

1 posts, read 4,483 times
let me say imho that commuting isnt a good thing
the traffic in wake county, though not LA or NY, is not pleasant.we dont need anymore cars.
why dont you try e-commuting? let your employer know that contributing to CO2 emissions won'thelp you or the company in the long run. lets be realistic people. we live on a a planet that is not sustainable on carbon emissions.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:13 PM

2,429 posts, read 6,692,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gritsnbits View Post
the traffic in wake county, though not LA or NY, is not pleasant.we dont need anymore cars.
why dont you try e-commuting? let your employer know that contributing to CO2 emissions won'thelp you or the company in the long run. lets be realistic people. we live on a a planet that is not sustainable on carbon emissions.
Wake County? Where's that?

And there aren't a lot of hospital jobs (read the original post) that lend themselves to e-commuting.

And who knows, maybe the OP has a Volt or a Leaf.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:00 PM

6,450 posts, read 7,762,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gritsnbits View Post

Exhaling causes CO2 emissions. Are you going to stop breathing?

Old 02-17-2013, 11:10 PM

552 posts, read 665,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Exhaling causes CO2 emissions. Are you going to stop breathing?
You do realize the difference between exhaling co2 and carbon emisions right? If not try turning your car on in the garage and hanging out for a bit. Back on the subject though I do a 60 mile round trip commute daily, it's not bad if you are making good money, otherwise it sucks.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:48 AM

5,721 posts, read 5,037,096 times
The drive itself is very easy.. from Robinson you are very close to I79 which is the first half of the trip. Then you just get on I70 for the rest of the trip.The return trip will be easy as well - 376E has pretty light traffic around 8pm which is when you would be getting back. In the morning 376W around 6AM is fairly light traffic as well and you're only on it for a short time, if at all, to get to I79.

It's not the shortest commute but it could be worse and plenty of people do similar ones all over the country. It takes a lot of people that live close to Pittsburgh a half hour or longer to get to work so it's really not that bad when you put it into perspective. Obviously you have to factor in the pay and the job itself. The work experience itself could be well worth it.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:49 AM

10,148 posts, read 13,230,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snorpus View Post
Like many things, it depends.

First of all, from where in Pittsburgh? There's probably 15-20 minutes difference between leaving from the South Hills vs East Liberty, yet they're both "Pittsburgh".

Let's use the I-79/I-376 interchange between Carnegie and Robinson as a starting point. Google Maps puts that 50 miles (and 50 minutes) from Wheeling Hospital. That makes it a 100 mile round trip commute. Assume $3.50/gallon of gasoline. If your car gets 40 mpg, that's 2.5 gallons/day or $8.75. If it gets 33.3 mpg, that's 3 gallons per day, $10.50. If it gets 25 mpg, that's 4 gallons per day, or $14.00.

Not to mention wear and tear on your car. 100 miles per day is 2000 miles per month, or 24,000 miles per year, just for the commute.

Personally, I could see doing this for a year, tops, before I either move or find a job closer to home.
Lots of people commute from Wheeling to Pittsburgh, especially those working in health professions. They have 50,000 health jobs in Pittsburgh. It's very doable, and at 50 minutes to 1 hour 10 minutes each way depending on where in Pittsburgh, it is not at all out of line with big city commutes anywhere else. When I worked in the NYC area, some folks commuted 2 1/2 hours each way every day.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:04 PM

8 posts, read 14,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Lots of people commute from Wheeling to Pittsburgh, especially those working in health professions. They have 50,000 health jobs in Pittsburgh. It's very doable, and at 50 minutes to 1 hour 10 minutes each way depending on where in Pittsburgh, it is not at all out of line with big city commutes anywhere else. When I worked in the NYC area, some folks commuted 2 1/2 hours each way every day.
Is the 50 to 1 hour 10 min drive realistic? I posted in another area and people told me it would likely take someone at least an hour to commute from Washington, PA to Pittsburgh for work. My spouse and I are trying to figure out if eastern PA is possible for us as I have a work opportunity in Wheeling and she has one in Pittsburgh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia