U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2013, 06:35 PM

51 posts, read 147,157 times

Advertisements

With interest, I was reading this article-- 'Wi-Fi Refugees' Are Moving To West Virginia To Escape Radio Waves : The Two-Way : NPR --and found myself "wowed"! I see Buckhannon appears to be just inside the zone, but Weston is just outside of it (this is where we'd like to move).

This is something I've never heard of--does this mean there is no wireless internet and radio stations are low signal? I'm confused

National Radio Quiet Zone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 07:01 PM

6,349 posts, read 8,096,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_tucker View Post
With interest, I was reading this article-- 'Wi-Fi Refugees' Are Moving To West Virginia To Escape Radio Waves : The Two-Way : NPR --and found myself "wowed"! I see Buckhannon appears to be just inside the zone, but Weston is just outside of it (this is where we'd like to move).

This is something I've never heard of--does this mean there is no wireless internet and radio stations are low signal? I'm confused

Explained

United States National Radio Quiet Zone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-24-2013, 07:10 PM

705 posts, read 877,376 times
Quote:

I never had heard about NRQZ til a few years ago then came across this Wikipedia Article that surprised me. Never knew Sugar Grove was the site of ECHELON Communications for the Eastern US. I think only local municipalities in the NRQZ can transmit low radio signals. I had always read about the Observatory at Green Bank, but not Sugar Grove.

Sugar Grove is an American government communications site located in Pendleton County, West Virginia operated by the National Security Agency. According to a December 25, 2005 article in the New York Times, the site intercepts all international communications entering the Eastern United States. The activity falls under the Naval Information Operations Command (NIOC).
The site was first developed by the Naval Research Laboratory in the early 1960s as the site of a 600 ft (180 m) radio telescope[1] that would gather intelligence on Soviet radar and radio signals reflected from the moon and would gather radioastronomical data on outer space, but the project was halted in 1962 before the telescope construction was completed.[2] The site was then developed as a radio receiving station. The site was activated as "Naval Radio Station Sugar Grove" on May 10, 1969, and two Wullenweber Circulary Disposed Antenna Arrays (CDAAs) were completed on November 8, 1969. Numerous other antennas, dishes, domes, and other facilities were constructed in the following years. Some of the more significant radio telescopes on site are a 60 ft (18 m) dish (oldest telescope on site), a 105 ft (32 m) dish featuring a special waveguide receiver and a 150 ft (46 m) dish (largest telescope on site).
Though the CDAAs were decommissioned in the 1990s, the site is still active, and photographs taken between 2000 and 2004 show significant construction on the site.
The site is part of the ECHELON communications network operated by the United States and its allies to intercept and process electronic telecommunications.[3] The network operates many sites around the world including Waihopai Valley in New Zealand, Menwith Hill in the United Kingdom and Yakima, Washington.
Sugar Grove is located in an officially designated National Radio Quiet Zone that covers 13,000 square miles (34,000 km2) in West Virginia and Virginia. The zone was established by Congress in 1958 to facilitate its mission and that of the National Radio Astronomy Observatory located 30 miles (48 km) away at Green Bank in Pocahontas County, West Virginia.
The small community of Sugar Grove is located several miles south of the installation. Its ZIP Code is 26815.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:20 PM

6,349 posts, read 8,096,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurseOfWilmore View Post
I never had heard about NRQZ til a few years ago then came across this Wikipedia Article that surprised me. Never knew Sugar Grove was the site of ECHELON Communications for the Eastern US. I think only local municipalities in the NRQZ can transmit low radio signals. I had always read about the Observatory at Green Bank, but not Sugar Grove.

Sugar Grove is an American government communications site located in Pendleton County, West Virginia operated by the National Security Agency. According to a December 25, 2005 article in the New York Times, the site intercepts all international communications entering the Eastern United States. The activity falls under the Naval Information Operations Command (NIOC).
The site was first developed by the Naval Research Laboratory in the early 1960s as the site of a 600 ft (180 m) radio telescope[1] that would gather intelligence on Soviet radar and radio signals reflected from the moon and would gather radioastronomical data on outer space, but the project was halted in 1962 before the telescope construction was completed.[2] The site was then developed as a radio receiving station. The site was activated as "Naval Radio Station Sugar Grove" on May 10, 1969, and two Wullenweber Circulary Disposed Antenna Arrays (CDAAs) were completed on November 8, 1969. Numerous other antennas, dishes, domes, and other facilities were constructed in the following years. Some of the more significant radio telescopes on site are a 60 ft (18 m) dish (oldest telescope on site), a 105 ft (32 m) dish featuring a special waveguide receiver and a 150 ft (46 m) dish (largest telescope on site).
Though the CDAAs were decommissioned in the 1990s, the site is still active, and photographs taken between 2000 and 2004 show significant construction on the site.
The site is part of the ECHELON communications network operated by the United States and its allies to intercept and process electronic telecommunications.[3] The network operates many sites around the world including Waihopai Valley in New Zealand, Menwith Hill in the United Kingdom and Yakima, Washington.
Sugar Grove is located in an officially designated National Radio Quiet Zone that covers 13,000 square miles (34,000 km2) in West Virginia and Virginia. The zone was established by Congress in 1958 to facilitate its mission and that of the National Radio Astronomy Observatory located 30 miles (48 km) away at Green Bank in Pocahontas County, West Virginia.
The small community of Sugar Grove is located several miles south of the installation. Its ZIP Code is 26815.
Yep, Northern WV and EP are national leaders in signals and research.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:25 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,220,904 times
No, we have satellite radio and wifi and cell phones and all the normal stuff. Its just that the frequencies have to be set to not interfere with Greenbank. The only thing it really impacts is if you listen to the actual radio. The stations here are very low strength in my opinion, the mountains may play a small role but the radio stations have to be at a frequency that doesn't interfere with Greenbanks.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:10 AM

51 posts, read 147,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
No, we have satellite radio and wifi and cell phones and all the normal stuff. Its just that the frequencies have to be set to not interfere with Greenbank. The only thing it really impacts is if you listen to the actual radio. The stations here are very low strength in my opinion, the mountains may play a small role but the radio stations have to be at a frequency that doesn't interfere with Greenbanks.
I found myself fascinated by all this...thanks for your answers, ladies and gents

Old 02-25-2013, 07:39 AM

2,429 posts, read 6,294,435 times
The most severe restrictions are in the immediate vicinity of Green Bank and Sugar Grove. Every now and then someone will get a new microwave oven that interferes with reception. They have to track it down, see what can be done to mitigate its effects, etc. As GHO said, they work with police/fire/EMS and other radio users to coordinate frequencies.

For example, as an amateur radio operator, before I could begin operating at our property in Pocahontas County, I would have to submit to Green Bank the frequencies, power levels, and antenna gains I intend to use, and they would let me know if that is OK.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:00 PM

4 posts, read 8,459 times
Default Phone and WiFi will work within most of the Radio Quiet Zone.

Quote:

Well within most of the area you will get phone service and WiFi. But phone service is not always the best especially if you are closer to the telescopes. Growing up i used to live inside the Quiet Zone, Just 70 Miles south of Green Bank, and radio stations came in on and off. Once you got a few miles up the road to your north the radio stations faded out, and if you are even closer to Green Bank nothing will pick up in that area. Especially in Cass, Snowshoe, and Marlinton. However i was going through the southern part of the Zone jsut a couple weeks ago, and I had perfect service with Verizon. However though within that area i always heard the best and in some areas the only phone that will even work up there is AT&T and around Snowshoe its extremely limited with the area being 20 miles west of Green Bank. But it is really nice up there going through parts of 219, and the backroads. But i wouldnt want to live there. and about the WiFi itis banned within a 10 mile radius of Green Bank. But everywhere else its available. I know it is in Northeastern Greenbrier County. I am not really fimilar with the Buckhannon area. However i do know when i was much younger i was in Elkins, and radio stations would pick up ok up there, So i dont think you have too much to worry about as long as you are not at least 20 miles close to the Telescopes. and Also check all the phone carrier's coverage maps, and see if they offer service in this particular area you are considering moving to. But i do know that is it mainly AT&T and Verizon claims it works up there under extended coverage like it is where i am living now. Also contact the cable or internet companies up there and ask if they offer WiFi. You can also google the National Radio Quiet Zone as well. Have a great day my friend.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:56 PM

71,504 posts, read 30,016,878 times
I was in Cairo yesterday. They are no more than 20 miles outside of Parkersburg and my Verizon service was totally non existent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or