Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 09:53 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,875,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
Weirton is now part of the Pittsburgh CSA... it is more entwined with the Pittsburgh economy than the Wheeling economy.
It is part of both. Areas overlap. That is why these designations are stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 10:20 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,668,595 times
Quote:
Weirton is now part of the Pittsburgh CSA... it is more entwined with the Pittsburgh economy than the Wheeling economy.
I thought (from what I read here) that Pittsburgh was a suburb of Morgantown.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:26 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,150,035 times
That was the impression I got mensaguy.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I thought (from what I read here) that Pittsburgh was a suburb of Morgantown.
Lol, no.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:05 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,042,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
It is part of both. Areas overlap. That is why these designations are stupid.
Until a few years ago the Wheeling and the Weirton-Steubenville areas were combined. Some bureaucrat decided that since there is a half mile long stretch of narrows along the Ohio River where there isn't space to build houses they would seperate the two. You can drive from Wheeling to Steubenville in 20 minutes. Now, they want to merge Weirton in with Pittsburgh. Last census they had Putnam County, WV tied into Charleston. This time a bureaucrat ties it closer to Huntington. I am not aware of any developments in either city that has caused this seismic shift, in fact in terms of population both places have mostly treaded water. We are located just 6 miles from Point Marion, PA who's residents mostly work in Morgantown. They are in the Pittsburgh MSA. The whole thing is about 60% the figment of a bureaucrat's imagination, and there is no way you will convince me that somebody in Pond Gap, WV has any significant interaction on a regular basis with somebody in Greenup, KY or Ironton, OH.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:09 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,826,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Until a few years ago the Wheeling and the Weirton-Steubenville areas were combined. Some bureaucrat decided that since there is a half mile long stretch of narrows along the Ohio River where there isn't space to build houses they would seperate the two. You can drive from Wheeling to Steubenville in 20 minutes. Now, they want to merge Weirton in with Pittsburgh. Last census they had Putnam County, WV tied into Charleston. This time a bureaucrat ties it closer to Huntington. I am not aware of any developments in either city that has caused this seismic shift, in fact in terms of population both places have mostly treaded water. We are located just 6 miles from Point Marion, PA who's residents mostly work in Morgantown. They are in the Pittsburgh MSA. The whole thing is about 60% the figment of a bureaucrat's imagination, and there is no way you will convince me that somebody in Pond Gap, WV has any significant interaction on a regular basis with somebody in Greenup, KY or Ironton, OH.
You'll never get Point Marion from us! muhahahahahahahaha!

Old 03-12-2013, 12:31 PM

941 posts, read 1,355,520 times
I believe that I will email my economics professor from school and ask him what he thinks about all of this. I'm sure that he could make more sense of it for all of us.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:34 PM

16,673 posts, read 15,668,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PynballWyzyrd View Post
I believe that I will email my economics professor from school and ask him what he thinks about all of this. I'm sure that he could make more sense of it for all of us.
Does he make stuff up or work with real data?

Old 03-12-2013, 12:41 PM

941 posts, read 1,355,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Does he make stuff up or work with real data?
Haha no I'm sure he won't just make things up. I wouldn't ask him to show me data but to interpret it. Or at least give an informative explanation as to how the MSA is decided and what impact it has on a specific region.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:
You'll never get Point Marion from us! muhahahahahahahaha!
We will give you Charleston for Pt. Marion. You can have Huntington for free to sweeten the deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia