Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 09:16 PM

941 posts, read 1,355,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
You are the one misunderstanding or being delusional.

I never said the rest of the state wasnt worth investing in. In certain areas they are worth investing in, just not tech, or similar industries. In that regard NCWV is the obvious choice.

You are wrong about those areas. They all had lots of brainpower so industry took root. Not because the state governments passed some stupid bill calling for the development of texas.

Your Texas analogy is terrible, and this is coming froma former Texas resident. The oil industry is mainly in centered in Houston, and East Texas. Neither has a strong Tech industry. The Industry is instead in Austin where a major university is, and Dallas to a lesser extent. It is unrelated to oil and most of the tech is not in anyway related to oil. Did you just make this up, or did someone tell you this misinformation and now you are repating it? Granted it did use oil to not have high taxes and created a favorable business envirnoment, along with spending money on higher education. This did help, but Austin passing a bill calling for tech in several areas where the brainpower didnt exist would not help. THe industry would still be in Austin and Dallas.

So yes if WV wants to encourage tech growth in WV it could reduce redtape, lower regulations, lower taxes, etc. Also it could give more money to WVU. This would encourage tech, but it would naturally graviate to NCWV. The whole state would reap benefits. Huntington would still remain a blue collar rust belt town.
Okay pick NCWV and OTHER AREAS! No one is leaving out NCWV. Also, putting more money into WVU isn't the answer. It already receives 65% of the research budget as it is. That is a selfish suggestion. I will also not argue over an analogy so I will just forget that was said but in most cases the industry demands the intellect. In some cases, such as a significant scientific discovery, the industry comes to the intellect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 09:19 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,875,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PynballWyzyrd View Post
Okay pick NCWV and OTHER AREAS! No one is leaving out NCWV. Also, putting more money into WVU isn't the answer. It already receives 65% of the research budget as it is. That is a selfish suggestion. I will also not argue over an analogy so I will just forget that was said but in most cases the industry demands the intellect. In some cases, such as a significant scientific discovery, the industry comes to the intellect.
No, it is underfunded for a flagship school. It is the leading institution in the state. I am not against the state increasing funding for research and other schools getting some too. However, if you want an industry in tech WVU is the only option.

*EDIT* changed overfunded to underfunded.

Last edited by cry_havoc; 03-21-2013 at 09:50 PM..

Old 03-21-2013, 09:44 PM

941 posts, read 1,355,520 times
Quote:
No, it is overfunded for a flagship school. It is the leading institution in the state. I am not against the state increasing funding for research and other schools getting some too. However, if you want an industry in tech WVU is the only option.
It is not the ONLY option. It may not even be the best option. Be more open minded. That is my last word to you. I will no longer respond. Say what you wish

Old 03-21-2013, 09:47 PM

4,954 posts, read 8,950,320 times
Quote:
No, it is overfunded for a flagship school.
Freudian slip? Funny either way.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
Freudian slip? Funny either way.
Yes, a mistake. Thanks for pointing out.

Edited original post.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:52 PM

Quote:
It is not the ONLY option. It may not even be the best option. Be more open minded. That is my last word to you. I will no longer respond. Say what you wish
No, it is the only real option in WV. Not in the country, but in this state for a good career and education it is. It is not a situation I am happy with. I wish the state would invest more in education, both at WVU and elsewhere. However, my hopes and wants are irrelevant to the current situation.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:06 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,042,956 times
Quote:
It has nothing to do with "selfish" and has to do with return on investment. WVU actually has the infrastructure in place to not only benefit from such investment, but to also create returns for it. It is best situated to do this. There are other areas that could benefit to a lesser degree, and some where it would just be throwing money away. To actually utilize grants like this, you need a highly educated and experienced research workforce, proper research infrastructure (and I don't mean some basically empty building labeled a research center, or a building that mostly serves another purpose with very limited research activity) and an ample supply of doctoral level researchers. Those factors are only available in a very limited number of places in our state.

You see, the problem in our state is politically it always seems to get back to pork and a "me too" attitude. That's why we seldom are able to maximize return on investment, and why we are often fighting it out with Mississippi for who gets to claim last place. If they actually focused investments like this where they would do the most good, everyone would benefit. As it is, there is some benefit but it mostly comes only from the part where the investment is made where the necessary ingredients are present to make it worthwhile.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:09 PM

1,268 posts, read 798,315 times
If you are going to reply with this level of hubris, please realize "brainpower" is two separate words (brain power). I am reticent to point out this mistake because it is a public forum and errors are expected, but since you are attempting to claim superior intelligence, it seemed appropriate.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:22 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,042,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsb62574 View Post
If you are going to reply with this level of hubris, please realize "brainpower" is two separate words (brain power). I am reticent to point out this mistake because it is a public forum and errors are expected, but since you are attempting to claim superior intelligence, it seemed appropriate.
If you're going to correct somebody's spelling, it's probably a good idea to include a quote with the mistake so that the error is readily apparent. Personally, I'm at a loss to find the offending statement. I would only point out that spelling accumen and intelligence are not necessarily related to each other, so perhaps it is not appropriate at all.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:29 AM

1,268 posts, read 798,315 times
Quote:
Morgantown and NCWV is already the leader in emerging technologies.

Im not sure what some bill is going to change. People will invest where the brainpower is and it is concentrated in one place in WV.
Hopefully, this will remedy my egregious error. LOL. Again, not really my forte to correct mistakes, but the thread subject matter calls attention to these types of mistakes. For reference, the error was not with spelling. It dealt with spatial-visual processing which is tested on the Stanford-Binet IQ test.

However, I must thank you for allowing me to expand upon my response. I rarely have the opportunity to converse with such intellectual heavyweights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia