Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 12:17 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,990,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Although I agree with you on point 1, what has Jay done here besides represent his families energy interests?
Well exactly! Jay sticks up for just about every non-renewable energy source both in WV and at the national level because well, its in his blood and for some reason WV continues to support an industry that has raped the state both environmentally and financially so he has to pander to those interests.

Hey, does everyone know about Manchin's involvement in the coal industry? No wonder he's such a supporter, its really padding his wallet considering some of his businesses are directly benefiting from it.

Ideally, my candidate would never stand a chance in this state. Too much bias and ignorance... I'm not exactly a typical WVian voting demographic. A young, college educated, gay man.

I'd love to find a Democrat for WV that actually stood up for 99% of West Virginians who are hard working, pay into the system no matter how menial it may be. Protect our welfare system for those who really need it but ensure it is not abused, and to also fight for those without dental, vision and healthcare insurance. Stand up for gay rights and marriage, protecting the environment, and letting a woman choose what to do with her body. Not a bunch of old, gray haired, Republican men. Someone who will stand up for religious freedom, including freedom FROM religion. Also, our country was founded by immigrants and I personally believe that anyone who wants to come here to better themselves and work hard and pay taxes and contribute to our economy should be able to. On the Statue of Liberty it states...

"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

No where in there can I interpret that to mean, lets use racism against these poor, desperate people who have so much faith in our country to bar them from attempting the American Dream. I My candidate would also support these immigrants.

As I've said... that candidate doesn't stand a chance here...

But I'll continue to vote every election for the closest one to that candidate... to an extent... If Manchin is the closest thing to that, as said as that would be... I'd rather vote for a Huttonsville Correctional inmate. I haven't voted for Manchin since he ran for Gov and don't see myself ever voting for a candidate like him ever in the future.

Last edited by GottaHerdOn; 03-25-2013 at 12:28 PM..

Old 03-25-2013, 01:06 PM

16,671 posts, read 15,668,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
Well exactly! Jay sticks up for just about every non-renewable energy source both in WV and at the national level because well, its in his blood and for some reason WV continues to support an industry that has raped the state both environmentally and financially so he has to pander to those interests.

Hey, does everyone know about Manchin's involvement in the coal industry? No wonder he's such a supporter, its really padding his wallet considering some of his businesses are directly benefiting from it.

Ideally, my candidate would never stand a chance in this state. Too much bias and ignorance... I'm not exactly a typical WVian voting demographic. A young, college educated, gay man.

I'd love to find a Democrat for WV that actually stood up for 99% of West Virginians who are hard working, pay into the system no matter how menial it may be. Protect our welfare system for those who really need it but ensure it is not abused, and to also fight for those without dental, vision and healthcare insurance. Stand up for gay rights and marriage, protecting the environment, and letting a woman choose what to do with her body. Not a bunch of old, gray haired, Republican men. Someone who will stand up for religious freedom, including freedom FROM religion. Also, our country was founded by immigrants and I personally believe that anyone who wants to come here to better themselves and work hard and pay taxes and contribute to our economy should be able to. On the Statue of Liberty it states...

"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

No where in there can I interpret that to mean, lets use racism against these poor, desperate people who have so much faith in our country to bar them from attempting the American Dream. I My candidate would also support these immigrants.

As I've said... that candidate doesn't stand a chance here...

But I'll continue to vote every election for the closest one to that candidate... to an extent... If Manchin is the closest thing to that, as said as that would be... I'd rather vote for a Huttonsville Correctional inmate. I haven't voted for Manchin since he ran for Gov and don't see myself ever voting for a candidate like him ever in the future.
Good choice. The Manchin family has cost this state over $300,000,000.00 in cash money. They can't be trusted.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Good choice. The Manchin family has cost this state over $300,000,000.00 in cash money. They can't be trusted.
Gotta love West Virginia politics... You've got the Manchins all over the state government and then they throw Shelly Moore the 2nd district and now she's running for a US Senate seat.

Wonder where she learned how to be a politician. Her old man! Arch Moore Jr. Our finest Republican governor who plead guilty to 5 felony charges and only served 3 years of a 5 year sentence. Surely I don't need to remind you of that whole debacle but just in case you've forgotten or you weren't around WV then.

In the last week of his second term in 1977, Moore accepted a $1 million payment from Pittston Coal Co. to settle accounts from the Buffalo Creek Disaster. The state had initially sued for $100 million, half of which was slated to cover cleanup and restoration expenses. The reduced settlement accepted by Moore did not come close to covering the $9.5 million cleanup costs expended by the federal government; in 1988, these costs were reimbursed by the State of West Virginia. The government had been warned as early as the late 60's of the instability of the Buffalo Creek gob dams, yet the state failed to take measures to prevent the accident from occurring.

In 1990, after an extensive federal investigation, Moore pleaded guilty to five felonies. He agreed to plead guilty after he was told that federal investigators had taped him conspiring with his former campaign manager, John Leaberry, to obstruct the investigation into his activities. Moore pleaded guilty to an indictment that said he accepted illegal payments during his 1984 and 1988 election campaigns, extorted more than $573,000 from a Maben Energy Corporation, a coal company based in the town of Beckley, and obstructed the investigation. Moore served two years, eight months in federal prison in Alabama and Kentucky and four months of home confinement at his home in Glen Dale, Marshall County

We love our coal no matter what expense!!! Be in the environment or human lives. What further proof do you need to see that coal companies OWN the government of West Virginia? Wyoming produces a lot of coal too, but the government there isn't owned by the companies so they have a slush fund which the coal companies pay into for the damaging effects caused by mining. They can take the slush fund and lower taxes for other companies that provide more jobs and lower taxes for the residents. Education, healthcare, and major infrastructure projects are also financed through this fund. Where as in WV we're just slightly above the company store script economy and continue to put these crooked SOBs back into office repeatedly because they tell us they'll stick up for guns, god, and that ever so sweet coal that's padding their pockets.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:47 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Are you aware of the fact that gun restrictions have existed in this country since before the Constitution was written? There is certainly room for discussion and disagreement about HOW gun restriction should work, or WHICH restrictions are appropriate, but regulations concerning guns have always been there, in one form or another.
If Manchin votes for any sort of restrictions, be it registration or whatever it doesn't matter who the Dems run, they will lose. This election is as much in Manchin's lap as it is who gets picked to run against Capito.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Gotta love West Virginia politics... You've got the Manchins all over the state government and then they throw Shelly Moore the 2nd district and now she's running for a US Senate seat.

Wonder where she learned how to be a politician. Her old man! Arch Moore Jr. Our finest Republican governor who plead guilty to 5 felony charges and only served 3 years of a 5 year sentence. Surely I don't need to remind you of that whole debacle but just in case you've forgotten or you weren't around WV then.

In the last week of his second term in 1977, Moore accepted a $1 million payment from Pittston Coal Co. to settle accounts from the Buffalo Creek Disaster. The state had initially sued for $100 million, half of which was slated to cover cleanup and restoration expenses. The reduced settlement accepted by Moore did not come close to covering the $9.5 million cleanup costs expended by the federal government; in 1988, these costs were reimbursed by the State of West Virginia. The government had been warned as early as the late 60's of the instability of the Buffalo Creek gob dams, yet the state failed to take measures to prevent the accident from occurring.

In 1990, after an extensive federal investigation, Moore pleaded guilty to five felonies. He agreed to plead guilty after he was told that federal investigators had taped him conspiring with his former campaign manager, John Leaberry, to obstruct the investigation into his activities. Moore pleaded guilty to an indictment that said he accepted illegal payments during his 1984 and 1988 election campaigns, extorted more than $573,000 from a Maben Energy Corporation, a coal company based in the town of Beckley, and obstructed the investigation. Moore served two years, eight months in federal prison in Alabama and Kentucky and four months of home confinement at his home in Glen Dale, Marshall County

We love our coal no matter what expense!!! Be in the environment or human lives. What further proof do you need to see that coal companies OWN the government of West Virginia? Wyoming produces a lot of coal too, but the government there isn't owned by the companies so they have a slush fund which the coal companies pay into for the damaging effects caused by mining. They can take the slush fund and lower taxes for other companies that provide more jobs and lower taxes for the residents. Education, healthcare, and major infrastructure projects are also financed through this fund. Where as in WV we're just slightly above the company store script economy and continue to put these crooked SOBs back into office repeatedly because they tell us they'll stick up for guns, god, and that ever so sweet coal that's padding their pockets.
So you think guilt by association is a good thing? Clinton was impeached, so this means if Hillary runs she is guilty of the same?

Old 03-25-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
If Manchin votes for any sort of restrictions, be it registration or whatever it doesn't matter who the Dems run, they will lose. This election is as much in Manchin's lap as it is who gets picked to run against Capito.
Which I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me why the general population needs access to ASSAULT weapons? or why its so easily for mentally unstable people to have access to guns...

My fathers family is a big gun owning family. No one has or needs assault style weapons though. Why are we so threatening to politicians who are ok with RE-instating that ban?

Old 03-25-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
So you think guilt by association is a good thing? Clinton was impeached, so this means if Hillary runs she is guilty of the same?
Yes, Hillary will get a bj in the oval office and be impeached.. Exactly.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Which I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me why the general population needs access to ASSAULT weapons? or why its so easily for mentally unstable people to have access to guns...

My fathers family is a big gun owning family. No one has or needs assault style weapons though. Why are we so threatening to politicians who are ok with RE-instating that ban?
What I have been told is that this isn't the proper place for these types of discussions.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Yes, Hillary will get a bj in the oval office and be impeached.. Exactly.
But Shelley will take a payoff to cover something up simply because she is related to someone that did?

Old 03-25-2013, 11:07 PM

Quote:
What I have been told is that this isn't the proper place for these types of discussions.
Because there is no discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia