Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 01:23 PM

941 posts, read 1,355,520 times

Advertisements

I thought that this would be a fun hypothetical to think about:

If you had $1 billion to invest into one (or more) small in-state school(s) (public or private), which one(s) would it be and why? Are there program(s) that you feel could really benefit or do(es) the school(s) deserve(s) it for some ambiguous reason? What specifically would you do with that money for the school(s)?

Choose one school or spread the wealth with many schools because $1 billion is a lot and could drastically change a small school with multiple buildings, additional programs (i.e. additional undergrad degrees (majors, minors, ect.), starting a masters program, or a PhD program), or whatever comes to mind.

Please do not put down one school over the other for any reason. Stick to the positive. Just state why you would like to help a specific school. In other words, avoid the regionalism please. I would appreciate it. Thank you.

Oh and ignore the economic impact of the school on area due to your "investment." Just think of the school.

FYI, this basically just leaves out Marshall and WVU (exclude branches as well).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 01:52 PM

As an example,

Public:

Concord University - I have only ever heard good things about this program. I was up North not too long ago and I heard from one individual at an institution refer to it as the "Little Harvard of the South" (this was regarding sciences). I would put some money into their science program as well as renovate the most of the school's buildings. A lot of them appear quite old. Beautiful campus btw. I would also try to get a full graduate program started. At least, a full master's program (i.e. full = encompasses all (or most) majors).

West Virginia State - First of all, just like WVU, I feel that any school that brands the state's name should be a good representative of it. I would love to sit down and plan out an attack to pull more students in and maximize recognition of the school. Maybe pay some good professors a lot money to come there. This would require some the money to fund their research/studies and thus WVSU would need the facilities to harbor such efforts, which also require money.

Fairmont State University - I do not know much about this school but I have always heard wonderful things. I visited the campus once and I was actually very impressed. I really liked the Falcon Center. They seem to know what they are doing over there. I would like to give this school money and see what they would do with it by themselves.

Private:

University of Charleston - I visited this campus and I must say I was impressed with it considering how small it is. The money they have spent on that school was well spent. Also, UC recently bought Mountain State University in Beckley and Martinsburg, which was a risky move but I believe a good one. I would put more money into their pharmacy school, and expand their master's program. I would put a ton of money into their sciences and maybe start a medical school (I know this would be quite a feat but remember it's just a nice thought). Lastly, I would put money into a large campaign to bring in more students to the school (in and out of state).

Old 03-23-2013, 01:56 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,875,345 times
Fairmont state, then have WVU annex it. WVU gets the money through Fairmont.

It becomes WVU Fairmont campus. Marshall becomes a prep school for WVU and a school for WVU dropouts to recover.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:59 PM

708 posts, read 1,157,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PynballWyzyrd View Post
I thought that this would be a fun hypothetical to think about:

If you had $1 billion to invest into one (or more) small in-state school(s) (public or private), which one(s) would it be and why? Are there program(s) that you feel could really benefit or do(es) the school(s) deserve(s) it for some ambiguous reason? What specifically would you do with that money for the school(s)?

Choose one school or spread the wealth with many schools because $1 billion is a lot and could drastically change a small school with multiple buildings, additional programs (i.e. additional undergrad degrees (majors, minors, ect.), starting a masters program, or a PhD program), or whatever comes to mind.

Please do not put down one school over the other for any reason. Stick to the positive. Just state why you would like to help a specific school. In other words, avoid the regionalism please. I would appreciate it. Thank you.

Oh and ignore the economic impact of the school on area due to your "investment." Just think of the school.

FYI, this basically just leaves out Marshall and WVU (exclude branches as well).
My choice would be Bluefield State, it's due to the fact it is a commuter school, its dorms burned down in the 60's due to a race riot(i think there is only one set of dorms across town that opened a few years ago). Dorms would be a great way for this school to expand educationally and for its student athletes as well. With their nationally renowned robotics program, this could expand research in the field. Commuter buses could be used to pick up students that don't have access to the Bluefield Area Transport system from McDowell and Mercer Counties. I would use funds to promote more scholarships to low income families and a free books program as well.

My other choice would be WVU-Parkersburg, due to the fact I was very encouraged to attend there from the Dean In a chance meeting years ago. She promoted the school well and I almost attended at one point.

Old 03-23-2013, 03:52 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,042,956 times
West Liberty and Shepherd both have good programs that are good enough to actually attract large numbers of applicants from out of state. Fairmont State is also very good and gets many in state applicants who want a quality education with a smaller college feel to it. West Virginia State is well positioned to do the same thing for that part of the state. In my opinion, those are the best public small schools in the state.

Bethany is a very good small liberal arts school serving largely rich people who's kids didn't quite score high enough to get into the Ivy League. Wheeling Jesuit offers the famous Jesuit emphasis on academics for upper middle class Catholics who couldn't get into Georgetown or Notre Dame. WV Wesleyan does a good job for middle class kids from liberal backgrounds. Those three are head and shoulders above any other private institutions in the state in my opinion.

Old 03-23-2013, 04:26 PM

1,642 posts, read 2,421,094 times
UC - I would work to expand their healthcare programs and sciences. Maybe even a law school as it's in the capital. I'd also build a freaking bridge across to Greenbrier St. or the Capitol to physically connect it to the rest of the city. That would allow expansion to the other side of the river and inject even more life into the East End. I'd also invest heavily in the Beckley campus. They would be priority #1 for me.

WVUP - Well, honestly, I'd love to just move all of it downtown, but that's not an option. It would be cool to have the campus where St. Joe's is now.

Concord - Three of my relatives got their degrees there and I love the place. I don't want a carillion to be the main thing that they hang their hats on, though (as nice as it is).

Old 03-23-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elewis7 View Post
UC - I would work to expand their healthcare programs and sciences. Maybe even a law school as it's in the capital. I'd also build a freaking bridge across to Greenbrier St. or the Capitol to physically connect it to the rest of the city. That would allow expansion to the other side of the river and inject even more life into the East End. I'd also invest heavily in the Beckley campus. They would be priority #1 for me.

WVUP - Well, honestly, I'd love to just move all of it downtown, but that's not an option. It would be cool to have the campus where St. Joe's is now.

Concord - Three of my relatives got their degrees there and I love the place. I don't want a carillion to be the main thing that they hang their hats on, though (as nice as it is).
I really like ur ideas for UC. I was trying to get at the same thing but u covered it way better. As for Concord, that school produces so many graduate-school-ready students its almost hard to believe. Concord is certainly a school that really deserves some love (not saying that their aren't any others that don't ).

Old 03-23-2013, 04:34 PM

361 posts, read 748,402 times
I would give the money to the Colorado School of Mines.

They produce people who "contribute" to society and the world. Their grads don't sit around and complain about how terrible the world is or how unfair it is.

I wish I had gone there myself.

Old 03-23-2013, 05:16 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,236,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCSDays View Post
I would give the money to the Colorado School of Mines.

They produce people who "contribute" to society and the world. Their grads don't sit around and complain about how terrible the world is or how unfair it is.

I wish I had gone there myself.
I guess you missed the second sentence of the OP, where it specifies "in-state" (this being the WV forum 'n' all).

Old 03-23-2013, 09:15 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,990,155 times
My moms alma mater and home town college Davis and Elkins since my alma matter (Marshall) is out, and so isn't my dads (WVU)

D&E is really small but is growing, and the campus is absolutely beautiful.

I also love Jesuit, and University of Charleston. I nearly went to both of those schools but decided against them since they were so small.

Favorite spot at D&E
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia