Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 09:50 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,138,843 times

Advertisements

If there is a cooperative attitude on these boards, it only exists between a few posters and those posters don't extend the cooperation to everyone else on the boards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Of course it is growing faster. WVU capped admissions and doesn't want to grow. WVU has just shy of 30k. I never said it was 35k. Stop making things up.
I called the WVU admissions office and asked if WVU had every capped admissions and the person I spoke to said no.

As of Fall 2011, WVU's admission rate was almost 85%. West Virginia University | Best College | US News

Old 03-28-2013, 05:54 PM

2,020 posts, read 4,597,449 times
WVU has not capped admissions by any stretch of the imagination....they aren't going to kill their golden goose that is the out-of-state student pipeline coming from neighboring jurisdictions. Any alumnus (actually most people in general) know this so not sure why people are even posting such things. They are striving to increase academic standards to become more academically competitive, but that in no way equates to 'capping admissions.'

Old 03-29-2013, 08:55 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,009,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurseOfWilmore View Post
Our prestigious WV City-Data panel!
LOL... absolutely Will, and you can lead the way!

Old 03-29-2013, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
WVU has not capped admissions by any stretch of the imagination....they aren't going to kill their golden goose that is the out-of-state student pipeline coming from neighboring jurisdictions. Any alumnus (actually most people in general) know this so not sure why people are even posting such things. They are striving to increase academic standards to become more academically competitive, but that in no way equates to 'capping admissions.'
They currently have a general cap of 30,000, with the emphasis on gaining graduate students. The goal is to have fewer undergrads and more graduate students. That could change over time. They are working very hard at increasing the local housing stock for students both in quantity and quality. Our biggest hurdle at this time in highway infrastructure, but there has been some growth in spite of that. For example, the new Evansdale housing development will add 1,000 beds, but they will take away just over 800 when they demolish the older residence buildings on 705 to build the new hotel facilities which are part of future plans.

The 4+ year economic slump has thrown somewhat of a wrench into plans, but progress has been made in spite of that. Remember, to a degree University enrollment is dependent on economic conditions elsewhere, not here in Morgantown. During downturns, many students choose to commute and go to school closer to their homes because their families can't afford for them to live away. But you are wrong... they will not accept more than 30,000 students at this time, and as graduate enrollment grows, undergraduate enrollment will decline. I live here, and that is common knowledge in this area. The school had nearly 30K students this year in spite of the economy, and in 2012 our enrollment grew somewhat while the less expensive commuter schools had somewhat of a decline.

Having fewer undergrads will result in a more "competitive" student body, and having more graduate students will increase research.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:42 AM

2,020 posts, read 4,597,449 times
Interesting. Everything I've seen or heard with fellow alumni says the opposite but again I don't live in Morgantown so am not there to fully know the day-to-day detail.

I was surprised that they announced that 1,000 student bed project in Evansdale after all the new dorm construction in Sunnyside but you cleared that up with them getting rid of X number of beds by tearing down older dorms. Makes sense...some of those older buildings have definitely outlived their useful lives. Boreman definitely being one of them! Although I must say there is a certain nostalgia present with some of those old buildings. I lived downtown in the dorms when I was at WVU (Arnold) so it still puts a smile on my face with all the memories.

Old 03-30-2013, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
Interesting. Everything I've seen or heard with fellow alumni says the opposite but again I don't live in Morgantown so am not there to fully know the day-to-day detail.

I was surprised that they announced that 1,000 student bed project in Evansdale after all the new dorm construction in Sunnyside but you cleared that up with them getting rid of X number of beds by tearing down older dorms. Makes sense...some of those older buildings have definitely outlived their useful lives. Boreman definitely being one of them! Although I must say there is a certain nostalgia present with some of those old buildings. I lived downtown in the dorms when I was at WVU (Arnold) so it still puts a smile on my face with all the memories.
Hillcrest Hall and the Medical Center Apartments will be torn down and with them housing for 800+ students.
Personally, I've always thought that Hillcrest could be salvaged and the Med Apartments could be upgraded with new windows and the like, but apparently that particular property has value that exceeds use for that purpose and with the expenditures needed for upgrade, it is deemed better to tear them down.
The new housing for 1,000 plus students will be graduate student housing.

Old 03-31-2013, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
I called the WVU admissions office and asked if WVU had every capped admissions and the person I spoke to said no.

As of Fall 2011, WVU's admission rate was almost 85%. West Virginia University | Best College | US News
I think you misunderstood what you were told. They have not yet broken the admissions cap (likely due to the general economic funk in the country) but they do have a cap of 30,000 in place. Also, a larger portion of the student body is comprised of graduate students, and in certain areas (like the medical and Evansdale campuses) new housing construction is geared toward that end replacing undergraduate housing.
In my opinion, as soon as the economy recovers, you will see the student cap reached, and when applications for graduate students increase, undergraduate enrollment will become more selective. The idea is the other four year schools in the state can take the excess. In time, that policy will increase their enrollments too.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:26 AM

16,631 posts, read 15,583,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
I think you misunderstood what you were told. They have not yet broken the admissions cap (likely due to the general economic funk in the country) but they do have a cap of 30,000 in place. Also, a larger portion of the student body is comprised of graduate students, and in certain areas (like the medical and Evansdale campuses) new housing construction is geared toward that end replacing undergraduate housing.
In my opinion, as soon as the economy recovers, you will see the student cap reached, and when applications for graduate students increase, undergraduate enrollment will become more selective. The idea is the other four year schools in the state can take the excess. In time, that policy will increase their enrollments too.
Please understand me here. I don't care whether they have an enrollment cap or if they take all comers. However, if they do, it MUST be documented somewhere. Since you are the only one posting anything positing that there is an enrollment cap, go ahead and post some links to the newspaper article when they announced the cap, or a link to the policy published on the WVU web site. I mean, if such a cap is really in place, there must be a trace of it somewhere.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:30 AM

Sorry, but I didn't misunderstand what the person said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia