Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 02:30 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,875,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
But according to the new state government plan, the continued tolls collected on the WV Turnpike are not actually going to the Turnpike, they are going to be used on highways throughout the state. So if all the Turnpike tolls are used ONLY on the Turnpike then that might make more sense.

Also tolls were started to pay for the construction of the toll road. The Turnpike, just like many toll roads in the Northeast, has already been paid off so there should be no reason to continue tolls after the road it was instituted to pay for is already paid for. I think all the construction costs of the West Virginia Turnpike have already been met so there really is no reason to keep on tolling it. Tolls were added with the specific understanding that they would be removed once the road was paid for. now they are just having Turnpike drivers pay for other projects which was not the reason the tolls were started to begin with. The people of West Virginia were PROMISED by the state government that the tolls would end when construction costs were all paid for. This is where I see a parallel between West Virginia Democrats and Democrats in more liberal states. I also wonder your opinion on the use of gas taxes on public transportation.....yes there is no real mass transit in WV aside from the Morgantown PRT which is funded by WVU, but you never know what the future holds. I'm not riled up about buses yet using the gas tax since we have limited bus lines in WV but I WILL be up in arms if they use my gas tax money on subways and commuter trains.

Don't you agree that EVERYONE in society benefits from the highways? I also wonder if the state government raids the transportation fund for other purposes? In Maryland a lot of money was taken out of the transportation trust fund to pay for illegal immigrants services and other liberal social programs that were the brainchild of the liberal Democrats there.
It is paid off to built. It still needs to pay off maintenance. Why should the rest of the state support a road in the middle of nowhere with few people living there? As other posters have pointed out the people who benefit are mainly from out of state and use it to save an hour while going to the beach. WV is refusing to take on a huge financial burden and destroy infrastructure in the rest of the state to accommodate them by removing a cheap toll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 03:10 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,925,047 times
Then at least the residents of West Virginia should be exempt from paying tolls on the Turnpike, especially those who use it to commute on a regular basis. Even liberal states have commuter plans, though some are more generous than others. I think the state can also try to find more money for transportation by making cuts to liberal social programs enacted by the last generation of Democrats as the Democrats lose ground here. Some of the money going to abortion clinics and welfare checks and food stamps can definitely be diverted. Planned Parenthood should receive zero state funding at all for example. We must also ensure that illegal immigrants are not receiving any state tax money in any way shape or form.

Old 09-08-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Then at least the residents of West Virginia should be exempt from paying tolls on the Turnpike, especially those who use it to commute on a regular basis. Even liberal states have commuter plans, though some are more generous than others. I think the state can also try to find more money for transportation by making cuts to liberal social programs enacted by the last generation of Democrats as the Democrats lose ground here. Some of the money going to abortion clinics and welfare checks and food stamps can definitely be diverted. Planned Parenthood should receive zero state funding at all for example. We must also ensure that illegal immigrants are not receiving any state tax money in any way shape or form.
Dont worry illegal immigrants are not a big problem in WV. Welfare and food stamps are but people need them and large portions of WV have lots of people on both. You are aware you moved to one of the poorest states, right? A good portion of WVIans who live near the turnpike are probably on both, it is a very poor region. I imagine most would rather get the government assistance over not paying a small toll.

Old 09-08-2013, 09:44 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,042,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Dont worry illegal immigrants are not a big problem in WV. Welfare and food stamps are but people need them and large portions of WV have lots of people on both. You are aware you moved to one of the poorest states, right? A good portion of WVIans who live near the turnpike are probably on both, it is a very poor region. I imagine most would rather get the government assistance over not paying a small toll.
Unless the notion is addressed though, illegal aliens will be a major problem here. They cause tens of millions of dollars of problems in many states with unfunded mandates, education for their children with no offsetting tax revenue, healthcare costs, and incarceration expenses not to mention the disproportionate amount of crime committed by them and the cost of that crime to the victims, as well as the millions of American jobs they take "off the books". Their only purpose here is cheap labor, and the only benefactors are the filthy rich who take advantage of that.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:54 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,925,047 times
Here in the Charleston I haven't really seen poverty except on the West End where there were a a few blocks that looked and felt like Baltimore. Seen a number of bumper stickers that were very negative about Obama and about welfare and the redistribution of wealth.

I actually spoke to Congresswoman Capito's office about illegal aliens and they completely agreed with me. Illegal immigration matters to us for two reasons. First, even if there are not many illegals living here, it affects us in that our federal taxes are being given to illegals in other states, and $$ going to illegal aliens in other states could be used to support programs or business incentives in West Virginia.

Also its not guaranteed illegal immigration will never become a problem. There is no guarantee they will not enter the coal industry. And we see that there are many illegals working in the natural gas industry in North Dakota and Pennsylvania and in the oil industry in other states. When the gas boom comes to Northern WV we don't know what will happen. Illegal immigration is like a dam breaking. First you get a few drops, then a trickle, and then the whole thing gives way and you are swamped. There are places in Maryland that went from no illegals to being run by them in a few years.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Unless the notion is addressed though, illegal aliens will be a major problem here. They cause tens of millions of dollars of problems in many states with unfunded mandates, education for their children with no offsetting tax revenue, healthcare costs, and incarceration expenses not to mention the disproportionate amount of crime committed by them and the cost of that crime to the victims, as well as the millions of American jobs they take "off the books". Their only purpose here is cheap labor, and the only benefactors are the filthy rich who take advantage of that.
The thing is there is plenty of cheap skilled labor in WV that is legal. No illegal immigrant could compete. In most of WV there is no jobs either. WV is the 3rd of the US. I love the state to death but we need to face that is true. The draw for them isnt there. In MD where I live yes they are around because they will do jobs at a third of the cost of legal labor. In WV you can get a WVian native for the same price as an illegal, and there are very few illegals, and WVians do very good work.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Here in the Charleston I haven't really seen poverty except on the West End where there were a a few blocks that looked and felt like Baltimore. Seen a number of bumper stickers that were very negative about Obama and about welfare and the redistribution of wealth.

I actually spoke to Congresswoman Capito's office about illegal aliens and they completely agreed with me. Illegal immigration matters to us for two reasons. First, even if there are not many illegals living here, it affects us in that our federal taxes are being given to illegals in other states, and $$ going to illegal aliens in other states could be used to support programs or business incentives in West Virginia.

Also its not guaranteed illegal immigration will never become a problem. There is no guarantee they will not enter the coal industry. And we see that there are many illegals working in the natural gas industry in North Dakota and Pennsylvania and in the oil industry in other states. When the gas boom comes to Northern WV we don't know what will happen. Illegal immigration is like a dam breaking. First you get a few drops, then a trickle, and then the whole thing gives way and you are swamped. There are places in Maryland that went from no illegals to being run by them in a few years.
Perhaps, but I dont think it will be a problem. We arent California. People in WV dont generally support that, it requires lots of rich people to support that. Also there is plenty of WVians who will do a very good job at a very reasonable price. In MD prices are insane so I understand it happening but not in WV. I mean there are a few but I dont see it ever becoming a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia