Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 07:13 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,853,642 times

Advertisements

Economically no OfWilmore;30653744]So your saying WV didn't need a major thoroughfare out of the southern part of the state to places such as Roanoke, Charlotte, Winston-Salem, NE Tn, or basically the SOUTHERN US.

I know your just arguing for the sake of arguing because your not making any sense...

Apparently you don't know what Economics 101 is....[/quote]

other than my degree in economics.

Like I said you want an unneeded road in the middle of nowhere you need to pay for it. You are getting a good deal. It is still being subsidized by taxpayers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 09:00 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,138,527 times
The Turnpike was built in 1952, which was before the funding of the Eisenhower Interstate System was put in place.

That portion of I-77 would have been built as part of the Eisenhower System if it hadn't already been built years before. As it was mentioned, it is a North-South road that helps connect the southeast to WV and then on to portions of the Midwest and Mid Atlantic areas.

Also, all interstates are built with public money so therefore they are subsidized by the taxpayers.

However, in terms of the WV Turnpike, the condition of the road is in no better shape being a toll road. So why not dissolve the WV Turnpike and let it belong to the federal interstate system so it can receive tax dollars for maintenance and upkeep?

Old 07-25-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
The Turnpike was built in 1952, which was before the funding of the Eisenhower Interstate System was put in place.

That portion of I-77 would have been built as part of the Eisenhower System if it hadn't already been built years before. As it was mentioned, it is a North-South road that helps connect the southeast to WV and then on to portions of the Midwest and Mid Atlantic areas.

Also, all interstates are built with public money so therefore they are subsidized by the taxpayers.

However, in terms of the WV Turnpike, the condition of the road is in no better shape being a toll road. So why not dissolve the WV Turnpike and let it belong to the federal interstate system so it can receive tax dollars for maintenance and upkeep?
I doubt it would have. Too few people and gains for such a high cost. The truth is this road is a huge financial burden even with the tolls.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:57 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,488,512 times
The WV Turnpike is the lifes blood of the state running 64 and 77 together
and conecting the east, west, north, and south to the state.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
The WV Turnpike is the lifes blood of the state running 64 and 77 together
and conecting the east, west, north, and south to the state.
Lifeblood?

No.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:06 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,488,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Lifeblood?

No.
Shut the turnpike down and WV will die ! ! !

Old 07-25-2013, 05:16 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,138,527 times
The last total I had heard about the number of cars that travel the WV Turnpike daily is around 80k. That's a lot of cars for a road that is in the middle of nowhere and is used by so few.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:08 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,008,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurseOfWilmore View Post
If the tolls are to stay in place I think the residents of the 4 counties of the Turnpike or all WV'ians get a free pass. The state seems to have no issue on the other stretches of Interstate in WV in taking care of there needs. We had to put tolls on this road just to get basic infrastructure built for SWV.
You know, that is just not true. Before that turnpike was built, you had to take a mule train to get to those sparcely populated places. There is no way it would be economically viable to have built that road in that location without tolls. They are getting more north-south traffic now with the completion of US 19 to Beckley, that is true, but those counties have little to do with it. They should be grateful to be connected to the rest of the country. Here in the north, we have been saddled with our state's pork barrel road building policies since forever. It is only now, when we are starting to gain political clout, that they have to start paying attention to us. The Boss Hogg politicos in your four counties wouldn't give us the time of day if they didn't have to do it.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
The last total I had heard about the number of cars that travel the WV Turnpike daily is around 80k. That's a lot of cars for a road that is in the middle of nowhere and is used by so few.
That is nothing for an interstate. That is how much you expect a small highway in the middle of nowhere to have.

Also, do you have a source? 80k seems way too low.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:19 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,008,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
Shut the turnpike down and WV will die ! ! !
It would be missed, but die? I just know you aren't being serious. All of that north - south traffic would route itself around it. Maybe southern West Virginia would be a little deader. That much I agree with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia