Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 08:15 AM

2 posts, read 6,881 times

Advertisements

MY HUSBAND AND I ARE LOOKING FOR A SMALL TOWN VERY DEEP SOUTH WEST VIRGINIA, A QUIET TOWN TO RETIRE. MAYBE EVEN WITH SOME ACREAGE. EASY DRIVE TO HIGHWAYS SINCE I HEAR SMALL TOWNS DONT ALWAYS OFFER ALL YOUR NEEDS. ANY ADVICE?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2006, 08:02 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,480,145 times
South of W.Logan and Logan or south of 119.

Williamson is big for shopping and so is Pikeville, Ky.

Go any southwestern, you'll be father away from the "main road".

Old 10-26-2006, 03:22 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,234,817 times
Default Deep South?

Geographically or philosophically?

I'm partial to southeastern WV, say anywhere along or near US 219, from Princeton in the south, through Alderson and Lewisburg, and on up to Marlinton and Green Bank.

Just about anywhere along there you'll find small towns and 1-5 acre lots on the outskirts of town, for what most of the rest of the country would consider pretty reasonable prices.

Regards,
Snorpus

Old 12-01-2006, 01:50 PM

8 posts, read 28,411 times
I live in Wayne WV and we are very close to I64 and The Huntington Mall. We are also close to Cabell Huntington Hospital. Wayne is very Quiet and has alot to offer property wise. I forgot to mention that we are on the Border of Kentucky and Ohio, I would say only 10 mins from either. I will be glad to answer any questions you have.

Old 12-29-2006, 02:18 PM

240 posts, read 732,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snorpus View Post
Geographically or philosophically?

I'm partial to southeastern WV, say anywhere along or near US 219, from Princeton in the south, through Alderson and Lewisburg, and on up to Marlinton and Green Bank.

Just about anywhere along there you'll find small towns and 1-5 acre lots on the outskirts of town, for what most of the rest of the country would consider pretty reasonable prices.

Regards,
Snorpus
I live in Athens and am about 10 minutes from Princeton. Lots of large acre lots between and to the north. You can find pretty much all you need in either Princeton or Bluefield.

Three major hospitals in the area too although the doctor situation in WV often requires you to go to Bluefield VA for a doc since they're all moving there. I know medical care is a concern for retirees usually.

Feel free to PM me.

Old 04-04-2007, 08:03 PM

191 posts, read 809,534 times
Wyoming and McDowell Counties have lost almost all of their educated and professional people. Many of the remaining people are on welfare and drugs such as oxycontin. Anyone that would move to Wyoming or McDowell Counties has to be TOTALLY OUT OF THEIR MIND. FOR ANY REASON!!!

Old 04-10-2007, 11:05 PM

22 posts, read 115,716 times
Default Southern WV

My personal opinion is the southern RT.119 area....Either Alum Creek, Madison, Logan, Chapmanville. ALL are great places with good schools and really Chapmanville and Alum Creek have less amenities than Madison and Logan...if you want country with some perks of stores/rest. then choose Madison or Logan. Alum Creek and Madison are very convienent to Charleston too!

Old 04-13-2007, 10:08 PM

10 posts, read 37,795 times
logan or chapmanville or madison would be good for retirement. lots of stores, restaurants, etc... crime is not to bad..

Old 10-20-2007, 04:16 PM

3 posts, read 9,277 times
who has chesaper housing and taxes, Ohio, Kentucky, or w. va.?

Old 10-20-2007, 04:39 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,311,245 times
Halyna: Summersville...a no brainer. Perhaps in the direction of Rupert.
(I've always like Summersville,a person could get a great frozen custard there)

2nd choice: Athens/Princeton...both are just tops!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia