U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2013, 04:26 PM

3 posts, read 4,542 times

Advertisements

I may be accepting employment in Wheeling, and am looking at my housing options in Wheeling. With the oil/gas boom, there is apparently a shortage of housing. Factoring in the opinions of others who say Morgantown is a great place to live, I'm just wondering as to whether I could move to Morgantown and commute daily to Wheeling? Has anyone on this board done this or know of someone who has? I know this could be tough come Winter, but could I do it in the interim until then and seek reassignment to an office closer to Morgantown? Any insight or opinions are welcome. It looks to be ~70 miles each way with straight interstate.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 04:41 PM

1,642 posts, read 2,095,834 times
I mean, if you're willing to drive 70+ miles one way, each day, then you'll be fine. It's not a bad drive at all, except for some traffic (still moving, at least) in Washington during rush hour. I didn't know there was a housing shortage around Wheeling. For a city that has lost so many people over the years, one would think they have the capacity to handle the gas boom. Then again, I know next to nothing about real estate.

But if the chances of reassignment aren't that good, I'd keep searching around Wheeling.

Old 05-01-2013, 05:14 PM

931 posts, read 1,411,855 times
I would look at other panhandle communities before making that commute. Way too many miles and a whole bunch of wasted life in an automobile; not to mention the cost of doing this with high gas prices and wear and tear on the car.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:57 PM

918 posts, read 1,014,021 times
Look in PA & OH, as well. Maybe Steubenville OH.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:23 PM

843 posts, read 1,353,580 times
That commute would get very old. As someone mentioned, traffic through Washington, PA can be a pain at times. In town Morgantown traffic can be bad too. If you lived in Star City or Mt. Morris, you would be a little closer to the interstate and miss the traffic in Morgantown.

Wheeling and the surrounding area should have something. I looked online at real estate in Wheeling and most of the houses seemed very reasonably priced. The St. Clairsville, OH area has newer development, which is a 15 minute drive from Wheeling. You'll probably get a bigger house in the Wheeling area too.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:12 AM

2,429 posts, read 6,700,449 times
Let me join the chorus.. a near-150 mile daily roundtrip is brutal in good weather. As mattec said, check out OH and PA, look up and down the panhandle... Weirton to the north and New Martinsville to the south are both about half an hour from Wheeling.

At 30mpg, you're looking at $15-20 dollars a day just for gas, not to mention the 3 hours a day of your life that you'll never get back.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:51 PM

10,148 posts, read 13,260,695 times
I'm from Wheeling and live in Morgantown, and make the trip frequently, so I'll chime in here. It takes an hour 15 minutes to an hour 20 minutes to make the trip one way on good traffic days with warm weather. That is no big deal if you're doing it maybe a couple times per week, but it would get very old on a daily basis. It could take longer depending on the time of day and where in Morgantown your trip originates. Both Morgantown and Washington have traffic issues, as some have pointed out, although our Interstate traffic is generally pretty good while Washington (like Charleston) has two Interstates using the same road which really makes it congested sometimes. Our traffic problems are on the feeder roads.

Although I personally far prefer Morgantown as a place to live to any place else in our state, and most places anywhere, I will say there are good housing options in Wheeling, which is overall a very nice place to live. The suburban areas of Wheeling are easily on a par with any place in West Virginia and, since the city has more "old money" than any place else the public amenities are outstanding. The schools are good, and the municipal parks are literally the best in the world. Although the many old Victorians are lovely, I would not suggest living "downtown", or in East or North Wheeling as well as Wheeling Island.
Since some idiot tore down the major housing project, those areas now contain those elements and it can actually be unsafe there at nights. Many of the Victorians are still lovely, but they have been converted to apartments with some unsavory tenants.

You are absolutely fine living in Woodsdale, Pleasanton, "out the pike", Elm Grove except in the area near the one remaining housing project, Bethlehem, McMechen, Benwood (although the housing stock there is very limited), Mount Olivet, across the river in St. Clairsville, Ohio, or in the Valley Grove/West Alexander, PA area. I would avoid Triadelphia, Martins Ferry, Bridgeport, Ohio except out US 250, and Bellaire. The very best place to live would be in the Oglebay Park area, one of the most beautiful areas in all of Appalachia.

Wheeling is an old rust belt city that is having to redefine itself, and is slowly doing that. With no large or medium sized universities, but numerous local colleges, it has a highly educated population for the most part and really comes closest to Morgantown in that regard. Although, with the closing of the factories and the loss of tens of thousands of steel worker jobs they have lost tens of thousands of population, they still have an outstanding symphony orchestra and good arts offerings because the monied folks still live there, and there are more of them there then any place else in our state.

I have worked and studied in various parts of our state, and for me the only places I would want to live would be Morgantown and Wheeling due to the nature of the towns themselves. They are the only towns that have the sophistocation that I find attractive, and they are both near great outdoor venues. But commuting between them on a daily basis would be too much of a grind. If you are going to be working in Wheeling, I would definitely look for a place to live there.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:08 AM

5 posts, read 9,088 times
Look for places in Moundsville or St. Clarisville if you aren't willing to drive 2 hours a day. Although the mileage would add up at the end of the week.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:39 AM

10,148 posts, read 13,260,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balbuena View Post
Look for places in Moundsville or St. Clarisville if you aren't willing to drive 2 hours a day. Although the mileage would add up at the end of the week.
Both Moundsville and St. Clairsville are viable options. St. C. is about a 12 minute drive from Wheeling, and depending on time of day (traffic can be an issue in Glen Dale) Moundsville is a 15 to 20 minute drive. Glen Dale is also a nice town in which to live, and it is the hometown of Brad Paisley.

Old 05-10-2013, 04:45 AM

5,721 posts, read 5,051,159 times
Back and forth from Wheeling to Morgantown gets old fast trust me I did it as well for a while for a job I had in the past. If you get stuck in traffic in Morgantown it can take almost an hour and a half to get home. Wheeling is actually closer to Pittsburgh than Morgantown. I would just look for something in the Wheeling area rentals are a little tricky because of all the gas drilling but if you're willing to buy you should have no problem at all. You're actually very lucky Wheeling is one of the best small cities to live in if you can find a decent job. Most have to look in PA though since Ohio doesn't have any jobs either until you get closer to Columbus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia