Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 12:14 AM

941 posts, read 1,349,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
I suspect that if we looked at metro area gains, the gap between Huntington, Charleston and Morgantown would be smaller, and Parkersburg wouldn't even be in contention.
The metro areas were posted a while ago and they include the population estimates. Huntington, Charleston, and Morgantown are clearly the top 3, in that order. But there is quite a large difference between each: 365k, 240k, and 130k respectively. That's a difference of over 100k for each. Also, if your referring to solely the "gains" and not the overall metro population then that will be skewed as Huntington acquired a few counties from the Charleston metro, thus making Huntington's gain and Charleston's loss both massive. No matter the case, Parkersburg is out of the picture as I don't believe it's metro is over 100k after the loss of Marietta in it's metro. Quantitatively speaking Morgantown is closer to Parkersburg than it is Huntington and Charleston both.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:39 AM

708 posts, read 1,153,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PynballWyzyrd View Post
I know that they don't like it but those people could take advantage of wind power. It wouldn't have as great of an impact as coal did but it would be a start.
A few years ago they looked into putting wind turbines on East River Mtn in Bluefield/Tazewell County, but the residents opposed it.

Old 05-24-2013, 05:31 AM

671 posts, read 1,053,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Add 30k students to those numbers. Morgantown is actually the biggest city in WV by people living in it.
I disagree. Not sure how they get their numbers, but if they didn't count any students, how can you explain Granville's population going from 700 to 1400 over the past year....? The only explanation is that they've now included the students who live in the housing up at the University Town Centre. Now, I'm not suggesting that the Morgantown number includes all students (otherwise where would the full-time residents live?), but something is odd with the count.

Old 05-24-2013, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PynballWyzyrd View Post
The metro areas were posted a while ago and they include the population estimates. Huntington, Charleston, and Morgantown are clearly the top 3, in that order. But there is quite a large difference between each: 365k, 240k, and 130k respectively. That's a difference of over 100k for each. Also, if your referring to solely the "gains" and not the overall metro population then that will be skewed as Huntington acquired a few counties from the Charleston metro, thus making Huntington's gain and Charleston's loss both massive. No matter the case, Parkersburg is out of the picture as I don't believe it's metro is over 100k after the loss of Marietta in it's metro. Quantitatively speaking Morgantown is closer to Parkersburg than it is Huntington and Charleston both.
If you switch the counties back to their respective loci, can you get the numbers then?

Old 05-24-2013, 06:41 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,845,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
I suspect that if we looked at metro area gains, the gap between Huntington, Charleston and Morgantown would be smaller, and Parkersburg wouldn't even be in contention.
You would suspect wrong.

While there is probably no real difference in metro area growth between Huntington and Charleston most of the growth in morgantown is not in Morgantown itself, which is tiny in land area, but in the metro area. The gap between morgantown and other WV would only widen in Morgantown's favor.

Old 05-24-2013, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam36 View Post
I disagree. Not sure how they get their numbers, but if they didn't count any students, how can you explain Granville's population going from 700 to 1400 over the past year....? The only explanation is that they've now included the students who live in the housing up at the University Town Centre. Now, I'm not suggesting that the Morgantown number includes all students (otherwise where would the full-time residents live?), but something is odd with the count.
The motgantown area is booming. The metro area is growing faster than the city.

If students were included morgantown would have seen growth of 30k people.

Old 05-24-2013, 06:46 AM

Pinball wizard is right morgantown and the areas of WV near DC account for literally almost all the growth in WV.

Old 05-24-2013, 06:47 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,410,644 times
I'm pretty sure that only students living on-campus are excluded. In 2010, I was still a student living off-campus and was part of the Census count. Granted, many students live just outside Morgantown city limits in the West Run area.

Old 05-24-2013, 06:51 AM

http://www.census.gov/popest/methodo...12-su-meth.pdf

Here's the methodology. Sorry, Cry, but you didn't read my post thoroughly. If they weren't including student housing communities, Granville's numbers would be impossible. Try to explain it some other way...

Old 05-24-2013, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elewis7 View Post
I'm pretty sure that only students living on-campus are excluded. In 2010, I was still a student living off-campus and was part of the Census count. Granted, many students live just outside Morgantown city limits in the West Run area.
They are given a census form and list their residency most don't have residency in morgantown. Census population is not basedn on where people live but rather on declared residency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia