Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 09:30 PM

537 posts, read 958,308 times

Advertisements

He's racist (and stupid) for spouting garbage like "People in small town America work hard and are not the same as the ghetto people and illegal immigrants who simply want a handout."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 09:36 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,038,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
Not to mention imported from our "friends" in Venezuela, etc. Here in the northern extension of WV, even row homes use heating oil, often converted from coal.

It would be helpful if our government would incentivize the "last mile" in natural gas delivery. I live in a subdivision that was laid out in the energy crisis mid-1970's without gas lines. The next street over has gas lines that serve the house backing up to ours. I called the local gas utility and they told me I could get my own easements and pay for a gas main extension around the block ($$$) if I wanted gas. Meanwhile our PA Gov bleats about natural gas fueling stations for transportation, and old gas lines in inner city Allentown explode. It does not seem like it would take much incentive, probably more rule changes than financing.

So without meaningful access to gas, I supplement the electric baseboard and heat pump with a hand fired coal stove in below freezing weather. It doesn't even get imported from WV though, with an anthracite breaker right in the county where I live.
That is just part of the problem in New England. There (and I lived for many years in CT) urbanized areas actually often don't even have public sewage. I lived in a town with 20,000 people in it that not only had oil heat for homes as the predominant heating source, they had no public sewage (everyone had a ceptic tank that essentially put crap right into the water table) they had no public water, so everyone had to drink and use the water that had the sewage water added right into it. They are too cheap to invest in natural gas delivery systems, public water, or public sewage. Yet the idiots who made decisions in Wacko City criticized coal fired power plants as the source of all evil.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:43 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,038,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunkydawg View Post
He's racist (and stupid) for spouting garbage like "People in small town America work hard and are not the same as the ghetto people and illegal immigrants who simply want a handout."
It has absolutely nothing to do with racism to expect that foreigners would respect our immigration laws, that those who break them should be deported because they are not supposed to be here, and should not be rewarded for breaking into our back door. Those individuals, regardless of their race, compete for jobs with millions of unemployed Americans, and more than anyone else, minorities are victimized by their presence. In addition, their presence results in massive social cost in terms of unfunded mandates on the part of local governments (free education, health care at emergency rooms) and their higher than average crime rates (they don't respect other laws much either, which shouldn't be much of a surprise since their very presence breaks our laws), result in huge costs in terms of property loss, violent crime, and costs associated with their involvement in the criminal justice system. In some states, they comprise the majority of inmates in correctional facilities.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:58 PM

537 posts, read 958,308 times
CTMountaineer, I agree with much (though not all) of what you say. And I don't want to stray too far off topic, since we were supposed to be discussing WV and coal here.

But when someone says "People in small town America work hard and are not the same as the ghetto people and illegal immigrants who simply want a handout", that's clearly a thinly-disguised way of saying "Whites work hard and are not the same as the blacks and Hispanics who simply want a handout".
That's the disgraceful racism that's being called out here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia