Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 03:50 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,845,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-tip motha View Post
So I can quote statistics that show that Morgantown has a higher incidence of rape, binge drinking, and alcohol related violence and you'll agree that this illustrates everything that I said?

Again to the OP, don't listen to the clown who constantly denigrates one area to try to promote another. Make a day trip through the state and see if his misused statistics are indicative of reality.
Sure quote whatever you want.

If you have support good for you.

Again to op, don't listen to this clown. stick to the facts and not ignorant opinions which are proven wrong by facts and statistics. Certain areas are considered bad for a reason ans good for a reason. They blindly promote an area in the same way a used car salesman promotes a car he wants to sell, and they are about as honest. The facts expose their lies. always be wary of an individual who tells you to ignore evidence while having none of their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Order66 View Post
Reading this thread is quite interesting. CTMountaineer, are these the positve attitudes and understanding that you spoke of in your message?

I can't understand for the life of me why some feel the need to be so negative. And why in the world drag other places like Detroit, MI and Gary, IN into this thread? They aren't even in WV! Funny thing is, they were used to try to denigrate other areas but the poverty rate in Morgantown is higher than both!

The attitudes of some on here are beyond ridiculous!
It is not fair to compare Detroit and Gary to Huntington and Charleston, that is insulting to Detroit and Charleston to imply quality of life and obesity is as bad as charleston and huntington.

Old 07-09-2013, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-tip motha View Post
So I can quote statistics that show that Morgantown has a higher incidence of rape, binge drinking, and alcohol related violence and you'll agree that this illustrates everything that I said?

Again to the OP, don't listen to the clown who constantly denigrates one area to try to promote another. Make a day trip through the state and see if his misused statistics are indicative of reality.
Hey,

Since you havent yet I have some crime states for you. It was a really bad idea for you to bring this topic up, and I figured after you looked into it you probably wish you never mentioned it. However, the crime rate may be very relevant to this person so let's explore it.

Huntington's crime rate is much higher than the national average, and so is Charleston. Huntington also has an insanely high rate of hate crimes. To the OP given the amount of hate crimes in Huntington I would avoid it. Meanwhile, Morgantown is below the national average.

Morgantown.

Huntington, seriously what is up with all the hate crimes?

Charleston

Old 07-10-2013, 06:55 AM

27 posts, read 86,518 times
Check out Indianapolis, Indiana it addresses each of your concerns as well... 10,000 jews and one of the lowest costs of living in the US.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:29 AM

3,533 posts, read 5,802,981 times
I could never live in Indiana, it's just too flat. Growing up in the mountains, I really need to be around mountains. Yeah, I do know Illinois and Indiana do have larger Jewish communities.. But, I think I may die of boredom in a place like Indianapolis. I've talked to a few people who lived there who told me there isn't much to do there for a city its size. I pretty much want to avoid living in the Great Plains or Midwest.

As of now, I think CryHavoc has scared me away from Huntington, but I am going to look around the web and see what information I can gather about it and other areas. I have to admit that a town centered around a college doesn't sound so appealing, especially if it is the type of college town that is big into partying. Being around loud, drunk, obnoxious and aggressive college kids is not appealing. I also find college towns quite cliquey and a little too liberal for my tastes. I have nothing against being in a town benefited by a college and where a college is part of the town, but not centered around the town. Eugene, was an example of a town that, although had a large university, also had a sizable town that had its own character and was separated from the university outside the university area. I guess I am not sure if you are not into the college scene and in your mid 30s, how much you would enjoy the town. Also, being on the more conservative side, wouldn't I be looked down on? In Seattle, I have to keep my political views secret, for fear of being antagonized. There is no point to travel 3000 miles just to be in a place with the same mindset as you left in the first place.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:03 PM

941 posts, read 1,349,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
I could never live in Indiana, it's just too flat. Growing up in the mountains, I really need to be around mountains. Yeah, I do know Illinois and Indiana do have larger Jewish communities.. But, I think I may die of boredom in a place like Indianapolis. I've talked to a few people who lived there who told me there isn't much to do there for a city its size. I pretty much want to avoid living in the Great Plains or Midwest.

As of now, I think CryHavoc has scared me away from Huntington, but I am going to look around the web and see what information I can gather about it and other areas. I have to admit that a town centered around a college doesn't sound so appealing, especially if it is the type of college town that is big into partying. Being around loud, drunk, obnoxious and aggressive college kids is not appealing. I also find college towns quite cliquey and a little too liberal for my tastes. I have nothing against being in a town benefited by a college and where a college is part of the town, but not centered around the town. Eugene, was an example of a town that, although had a large university, also had a sizable town that had its own character and was separated from the university outside the university area. I guess I am not sure if you are not into the college scene and in your mid 30s, how much you would enjoy the town. Also, being on the more conservative side, wouldn't I be looked down on? In Seattle, I have to keep my political views secret, for fear of being antagonized. There is no point to travel 3000 miles just to be in a place with the same mindset as you left in the first place.
If you think that you will be bored in Indianapolis, then I might suggest you look somewhere else than WV. Nothing here even comes close to Indy. Also, keep in mind that most liberals are located in cities. That includes WV as well. While I think that it is less in WV than other places, in general it's the same. You should really look for more rural places to find people with more of your mindset. Either that or look further south. If anything, that would be a reason to stay away from Huntington. Not the over exaggerated posts of some of the posters on this forum. There are more liberals there than most places in WV. Also, any city along the Ohio River in WV are very Midwestern by character. I would include Charelston in this category as well. If you go anywhere in WV, I think you need to look for more rural areas, if you are open to that, located along the eastern side of the state (i.e. from the eastern panhandle [Martinsburg maybe] down through Princeton, WV).

Old 07-10-2013, 01:42 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,802,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PynballWyzyrd View Post
If you think that you will be bored in Indianapolis, then I might suggest you look somewhere else than WV. Nothing here even comes close to Indy. Also, keep in mind that most liberals are located in cities. That includes WV as well. While I think that it is less in WV than other places, in general it's the same. You should really look for more rural places to find people with more of your mindset. Either that or look further south. If anything, that would be a reason to stay away from Huntington. Not the over exaggerated posts of some of the posters on this forum. There are more liberals there than most places in WV. Also, any city along the Ohio River in WV are very Midwestern by character. I would include Charelston in this category as well. If you go anywhere in WV, I think you need to look for more rural areas, if you are open to that, located along the eastern side of the state (i.e. from the eastern panhandle [Martinsburg maybe] down through Princeton, WV).
PynballWyzyrd, when I was talking about being bored in Indianapolis, I didn't exactly mean because of lack of urban amenities. I am referring to the fact, that beyond the city, there is no mountains, forests, etc. I'm an avid hiker and love the outdoors, and being stuck in the corn belt, I think I would have no where to go outside the city. In West Virginia, there is beautiful mountains, trees, lakes, rivers, etc. I think the outdoor activities are numerous and considerably more than anything Indiana would have to offer. Growing up in the mountains, I would just go a bit crazy living in such a flat place. That was what I was implying. As far as cities are concerned, I suppose a large city like Indianapolis has more going for it than a small town in West Virginia. However, being a large city alone doesn't necessarily guarantee more amenities and more cultural activities, etc.

Old 07-10-2013, 02:04 PM

941 posts, read 1,349,690 times
Quote:
PynballWyzyrd, when I was talking about being bored in Indianapolis, I didn't exactly mean because of lack of urban amenities. I am referring to the fact, that beyond the city, there is no mountains, forests, etc. I'm an avid hiker and love the outdoors, and being stuck in the corn belt, I think I would have no where to go outside the city. In West Virginia, there is beautiful mountains, trees, lakes, rivers, etc. I think the outdoor activities are numerous and considerably more than anything Indiana would have to offer. Growing up in the mountains, I would just go a bit crazy living in such a flat place. That was what I was implying. As far as cities are concerned, I suppose a large city like Indianapolis has more going for it than a small town in West Virginia. However, being a large city alone doesn't necessarily guarantee more amenities and more cultural activities, etc.
Ah I see. Sorry for being mistaken. Well there is a lot of that in WV for sure. However, I would still suggest the eastern part of the state. North to South.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:06 PM

708 posts, read 1,153,409 times
Quote:
I appreciate you sharing this with me Curse! Wow, well , of course, what you mention is exactly what I was for what I was hoping. I'd love to see the real West Virginia and experience real culture of the land. If I want to live in an expensive place, with a booming economy, a prestigious university (U of W) and that is considered very desirable to live, then I could just stay in the Seattle area. I'd hate to go all the way to West Virginia just to be in a place that is reminiscent of where I left. Of course, I don't want to live in a slum, but I don't need to live in the trendiest, most upscale town either. Perhaps, I'm going to check out Welch/McDowell countries. I see CryHavoc is warning me against doing so and claims the place is just horrible. Well, considering how ignorant I still about West Virginia, I am going to have to investigate every claim.

I will just say, that right now I don't need a job, so as long as I have high speed internet, I don't need to be in area with lots of IT jobs. If I truly wanted to be in a place that is #1 for IT jobs, I could just stay in Seattle. This isn't about finding work. One thing that is disappointing me from looking at ads is the price of places in Morgantown. It appears Morgantown does't have the cheap West Virginia prices I was desiring. They are certainly cheaper than what we have out in the Pacific Northwest, but I was hoping to find a place that is peaceful and not run-down, but is a bit cheaper to live.

What can I say, maybe my goals of enjoying the true, old-fashioned West Virginia life are not possible. I can say that CurseOfWilmore though has addressed my concerns. The larger, modern cities seem to just seem to not have any soul and you are just any rat in the cage. If you need a prime example, come to Seattle, where there is less smiles per capita than any other city. It is probably one of the most unfriendly and conformed places on Earth.

I will have to do my research Cry Havoc. I'll have to come out for a trip to West Virginia and just travel throughout the state to get a good feel for the areas. It appears you and the other posters have engaged in a heated debate over the issue, which is hard for an outsider like me to truly comprehend.
McDowell has some issues, I can't deny that. There are nice areas of the county along with some poor areas, but far from a slum. I love McDowell, thru the good and bad, it is my homeland. Some people look down on it, but it is a part of WV and the coal mined here sent tax dollars to the coffers of WV but never received anything in return, such as proper four lane highways and other basic infrastructure. Things are changing and improving,and the people can't be beat. You can do what you want and nobody will get in your business. If you ever make it down here I would come up and give u a tour,lol! But after reading several of your post I'm trying to find the best town or area to fit your needs, with the true WV culture you need to feel and live!

Some of the areas I recommend are:

Beckley-A great city that's not as crowded as the big ones in WV, but is growing and has all the amenities and charms of small town life. Located on I-77/64 and U.S. 19 for a quick trip anywhere in the eastern US. This would probably be my number one choice. Areas close around are Beaver, Shady Spring, Ghent, Bolt Mtn, and Crab Orchard, that would be nice as well.

Lewisburg-A scenic town, very beautiful, close to The Greenbrier, quaint and rural, very clean, and located of I-64. Very artsy and cosmopolitan. White Sulphur Springs is close by and very nice as well.

Princeton-A bustling small town, located close to Bluefield, with amenities, restaurants and freedom. I-77 and U.S. 460 run through this area for fast travel as well. Athens, Oakvale, and Green Valley are towns and communities close by to look at as well in this area.

Hinton/Summers County/Monroe County have the Bluestone and New Rivers running thru them, with great fishing, boating, camping, and other outdoor activities to keep you occupied, along with Internet access. Their proximity to Blacksburg/Christiansburg/Giles, Virginia are a plus as well, especially in Monroe County.

Other towns and cities to keep in mind are Pineville, Gilbert, Madison, Bluefield, Mullens, Iaeger, Logan, Williamson. They all have the attributes of true WV culture.

Whatever you do decide in ANY part of WV, we would be glad to have you as a resident here. Wish you the best in whatever or wherever you go to.

CoW

Old 07-10-2013, 10:20 PM

708 posts, read 1,153,409 times
Looks like the party in Morgantown just slowed down a little, will pick up again shortly. I'm concerned about the children and the students who were subjected to these drug dealing outlaws. Even the playgrounds aren't safe from these dope peddlers.

WV MetroNews – Major drug bust in Morgantown
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia