Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 10:41 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,491,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
By Mannix Porterfield
Register-Herald Reporter

BECKLEY — Bradley looms as the key to keeping traffic moving smoothly along the West Virginia Turnpike over the 10-day duration of the Boy Scouts Jamboree.

If one snarl develops in that community, it’s Katy bar the door, Turnpike Manager Greg Barr warned Thursday, at the monthly meeting of the road’s governing board, the West Virginia Parkways Authority.

Barr said the Turnpike has been working directly with Scout leaders in an effort to keep traffic moving.

“The primary hub of activity, of course, will be around Bradley and U.S. 19,” he said, since that highway is a direct link to the Summit Bechtel Family Scout Reserve in Glen Jean.

“If that were to start to back up at the hub area, into our North Beckley toll plaza, and back into the main line, that’s where we would start having a big problem. That’s where we’re really geared up to do traffic control if it backs on the mainline.”

Barr said his “fear” is that even if some traffic is waved through North Beckley to clear out a jam quicker off the main highway, “if it’s backed all the way from Bradley to the toll plaza, there would be no place to wave the traffic through to until the blockage is stopped.”
Turnpike gearing up for Scout Jamboree » Today's Front Page » The Register-Herald, Beckley, West Virginia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 07:48 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,150,035 times
Glad I'm not heading in that direction during the time of the jamboree.

Old 07-12-2013, 07:00 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,042,956 times
You know, I haven't checked this out. Are those visitors going to have to go through Summersville and Fayetteville to get to the Jamboree? If so, I hope the scouting organizations have warned them about the potential for rediculously tight speed enforcement in those towns. It would be a real shame to have the experience ruined by that for unwary travelers.

Old 07-13-2013, 06:11 PM

282 posts, read 484,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
You know, I haven't checked this out. Are those visitors going to have to go through Summersville and Fayetteville to get to the Jamboree? If so, I hope the scouting organizations have warned them about the potential for rediculously tight speed enforcement in those towns. It would be a real shame to have the experience ruined by that for unwary travelers.
And you can add Gauley Bridge to that as well, for anyone taking scenic Route 60 from Charleston.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:40 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,236,021 times
If they don't go thru Faytetteville, Summersville, or Gauley Bridge, about the only choice left is to hop on an empty boxcar in Hinton and ride the rails, right?

Old 07-14-2013, 11:16 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,882,478 times
I drove the turnpike from Charleston to Beckley yesterday and traffic was no worse than usual. I believe Monday is anticipated to be a bad day then again on the last day of the Jamboree.

Many will be flying into Charleston and be transported by bus; others may fly into the smaller Beckley or Lewisburg/White Sulphur Springs airports.

It is nearly impossible to bring thousands of people into this area without causing bottlenecks.

I am interested to see how it is all handled and my hope it goes well enough that it projects a positive image upon our beautiful state.

Old 07-14-2013, 02:56 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,042,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballjunkie View Post
I drove the turnpike from Charleston to Beckley yesterday and traffic was no worse than usual. I believe Monday is anticipated to be a bad day then again on the last day of the Jamboree.

Many will be flying into Charleston and be transported by bus; others may fly into the smaller Beckley or Lewisburg/White Sulphur Springs airports.

It is nearly impossible to bring thousands of people into this area without causing bottlenecks.

I am interested to see how it is all handled and my hope it goes well enough that it projects a positive image upon our beautiful state.
Exactly, which is why they should require the Fayetteville and Summersville police to stay at home on those travel days.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:02 PM

4,954 posts, read 8,950,320 times
We drove the turnpike Friday and it was awful. Every toll plaza was backed up and slow for a couple miles at least. Much worse than usual that day!

Old 07-17-2013, 01:06 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,491,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Exactly, which is why they should require the Fayetteville and Summersville police to stay at home on those travel days.
unless they're coming south on 19 from 79, they won't hit Summersville or Fayetteville. The reserve is adjacent to Mt. Hope which is just north of Beckley and south of Oak Hill.

Old 07-17-2013, 01:19 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,875,345 times
It is not so big that it will effect traffic. The issue is this is a rural area and people fly down them. WVians know this is whole area is a speed trap but many people won't. Every state trooper and local law enforcement will be ticketing people. They are going to make a ton of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia