U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 10:04 AM

1 posts, read 685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by millersangel View Post
Yes, you're right GHO. People have a right to live the way they want and raise their children as they see fit as long as there is no abuse without government interference.

Now, you might have problems living like that within certain city limits but once you go out in the hollers, you see people from all kinds of socio economic backgrounds coexisting in peace and no one would even imagine commenting negatively on the worst hovel out there.

As for all the training programs, there is an invisible line at Beckley and they do not make it south of there. I have heard many children say their ambition is to work for the railroad or in the mines.

The alternative is fast food or retail. A college education is not even in the equation for people who are poor.

Yall seem to make the assumption all these folks are miserable living like this when in fact most are pretty content with what they have.

Just because you need status symbols and aspire to make $100,000 a year doesn't mean everyone is as materialistic. I'm not saying that to be judgemental. Everyone makes their own choices and people should respect them.

Anyway, with the state of the economy, when the house of cards collapses, it will hurt you more than them. Recessions don't effect poor people, only those with money.

Here is a story from today's Bluefield Daily Telegraph on someone yall would have probably liked to have removed from his home.

Homecoming

By Bill Archer
Bluefield Daily Telegraph

WOLF CREEK — The nation’s senior statesman, U.S. Senator Robert C. Byrd, D-W.Va., made a pilgrimage to the site of his boyhood home in Mercer County on a “bleak” day that was made warm by the love emanating from several descendants of the families he grew up among and the people he serves in the public arena.

Byrd’s slow-speed, country roads motorcade weaved its way a few miles down U.S. Route 19 south of Camp Creek to a state-maintained gravel road along Wolf Creek to the 26-acre slice of almost heaven that Byrd’s father — Titus Dalton Byrd — bought for $1,800 in 1925.

The unique motorcade consisted of three state troopers in their own cruisers and a seven-man detachment of the Capitol Police there to guard Byrd, who serves as president pro-tempore of the U.S. Senate. Byrd, 90, traded in his seat in a spacious Chevrolet Denali for a Ford Explorer with more ground clearance to negotiate the last quarter-mile of a rock-infested, unimproved path to the site of the cabin with no heat, running water or electricity where Byrd read by the light of a kerosene lamp.

“We had a little patch of ground and tilled it,” Byrd said as he strolled around the rocky ground of his one-time front yard. “There’s where the old house stood. There...” he said pointing to a clearing near a wooded area. “Right up there.

“Bleak,” he said. It was bleak up here,” he said. Byrd walked around the uneven land with the help of two walking canes as his long-time personal assistant Jim Allen stood ready to help on one side, and Sam Vaught, the present owner of the former Byrd farm, stood by on the other side. Byrd didn’t need their help, but expressed appreciation for their support.

“We had nothing but an old lamp. No heat, no electricity, no radio, no nothing,” Byrd said as he walked slowly and shared stories of his family and the people who shaped his youth. “I’m just trying to get a feel of the place.”

Byrd shared stories about the teachers who ignited his thirst for learning, the neighbors who helped and provided details about when deputies of Mercer County Sheriff G.H. Crumpecker arrested his father for operating a moonshine still. “There were some other men making booze at the still too, but he was the one that was caught,” Byrd said.

“Well, this is the real thing,” Byrd said. “This is the place that produced a U.S. Senator ... I mean, the U.S. Senator from the state of West Virginia.”

Several of Vaught’s neighbors as well as a bluegrass ensemble gathered at Vaught’s home for a reception honoring Byrd,” “Hey! Hey! The gang’s all here,” Byrd said as he entered the room. Several spoke to him as a line of camera flashes went off with each smile. He greeted every expression of kindness with an even warmer expression of gratitude.

When he was told by a reporter that Tom Colley, executive editor of the Bluefield Daily Telegraph wanted to thank him for inviting the newspaper to accompany him on the visit, Byrd replied that he delivered the Daily Telegraph in his youth. “I managed to save $7, so I put it in a bank at Matoaka,” Byrd said. “The bank folded and I never saw that $7 again.”

Byrd addressed the people gathered at the Vaught home and read a passage from his autobiography, “Robert C. Byrd Child of the Appalachian Coalfields,” as a fire crackled from the fireplace in the main room of the Vaught home. Byrd, the oldest senator and the longest serving member of the U.S. Congress who has served almost 49 years in the House and Senate seemed right home among friends in Mercer County.

My papaw is Sam Vaught, he grew up with Senator Byrd.
I wasn't there at the time when they had the reunion, but it's a great feeling knowing that the oldest Senator in the state was in the same house I helped my papaw build. R.I.P Senator Byrd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 11:53 AM

9,705 posts, read 12,086,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
We have those services "down south" as well in the majority of the areas but there are more than likely a few areas where such services are very limited if anything beyond regular pick-up is provided. The area in the video above is likely not within any city limits and is probably "out" in the county somewhere. Knowing how difficult it is to access some areas of this state, I doubt many would be willing to drag such things to the end of their driveway to have it picked up and some garbage trucks won't travel up long driveways.

FYI, cost for the services you described down here:

Huntington is about $18 for general service with some limits on the number of bags, large item collection 2x per year but free access to the city land fill once a month.

Barboursville is totally free with unlimited number of bags, large item collection 2x per year and a one week period in the Spring to unload almost anything you want.

Never said those service weren't provided down here, I just seriously doubt they are provided in all areas. And for the record, I've seen places like that in the video up there too so don't try to act like it's all pristine up there. One need only to drive the old road between Fairmont and Morgantown or drive just outside of Morgantown to Richard and up into areas like Pixler Hill to see the same thing. Once you get outside city limits, the services just aren't the same. I think that's the case in most places.
Honestly, there is very little of that in this whole area thanks to Jambie and his county crew, which makes a sincere effort to keep right on top of it. For $5 per month they literally take any crap away here. It is a good deal. They actually drive around looking for it.

Old 10-02-2011, 12:02 AM

130 posts, read 320,955 times
As a Miltonian, I am not even going to begin waxing eloquent on what it's like to live in Huntington's shadow.

Last edited by westvissouri; 10-02-2011 at 01:14 AM.. Reason: spelling correction. edited again because i didn't give a reason to edit the first time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia