U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2007, 02:37 PM

1 posts, read 3,009 times

Advertisements

Cabell County search on YouTube shows you how the locals live. I blame our Lack-of-Leadership. Don't get mad at the messenger, contact your local representative(s).
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2007, 05:01 PM

4,151 posts, read 6,850,454 times
For the record, this is not how the majority of the locals live in Cabell County and this type of thing is a problem that effects the entire state. One could drive a few minutes out of any of the major cities in the state and see the same thing. The state as a whole needs to be tougher on this type of thing and work to get these places cleaned up. Not only are they an eyesore, but they are also health and fire hazards as well. Not enough standards on the books for this type of thing and the laws that do address this aren't enforced enough. For those not familiair with the state though, these places are few and far between. That doesn't make them any less annoying though.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:39 PM

120 posts, read 556,850 times
Default re

Stuff like this is made by someone trying to perpetuate a negative stereotype. Junky people live in every state.

Last edited by awakenthesun22; 11-14-2007 at 12:57 PM..

Old 11-14-2007, 02:13 PM

240 posts, read 656,028 times
I see places like this all the time in my travels round and about. I never even thought about it let alone got offended by it. It's all some people can afford. In fact, I've seen worse. People living in campers and school busses.

Personally, I resent having the government legislate what's an eyesore and what is attractive. I have a neighbor who's a crack head and a very productive one. He's covered his entire lot with wooden walkways, ponds, one hundred fifty eleven figurines. He can't stop. It's not junk. But to my mind, it's just as much of a blight as an old trailer with a bunch of nonworking vehicles and appliances outside.

And if you throw these people out of their homes, because it is their homes, then where are they going to live? Is the state going to build a bunch of HUD apartments. Be careful what you wish for. They might end up in your neighborhood.

As for it being a stereotype, I guess I forget when we wiped out poverty in Appalachia.

Old 11-14-2007, 03:45 PM

I was in no way saying that the government should come in and kick these people out of their homes when I was talking about the state being tougher, I was mainly referring to the things often found in the yard. Many of these items such as old cars, old air conditioners, refrigerators etc. have things in them that could be hazardous to the environment and to peoples health such as oil, refrigerant, etc. These things often end up in the yard as many people have no convenient way to get rid of them. It's not that they have them there as lawn ornaments, just that their trash company won't pick them up and the nearest junk isn't convenient or they have no way to get it there. I agree though about government intervention. There's a fine line between concern for the common good and legislating how people should live.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:23 PM

4,714 posts, read 11,711,452 times
Up here in Yankeeville, we pay an extra $5.00 a month on our garbage fee.

That means the old TV's, Miro-waves, A-C units and the couches and chairs are picked-up with the regular weekly garbage.

I like to see that truck eat a couch...just three big bites.

The big stuff goes on regular dates...like every 6 months for the refer's and stoves. A seperate vehicle tags along behind the main truck for these items...We are asked to all ahead to let them know about these items.

The total cost per month is $16.50. If we can do it...you can do it too...For the extra $5 this is a real service.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:19 PM

We have those services "down south" as well in the majority of the areas but there are more than likely a few areas where such services are very limited if anything beyond regular pick-up is provided. The area in the video above is likely not within any city limits and is probably "out" in the county somewhere. Knowing how difficult it is to access some areas of this state, I doubt many would be willing to drag such things to the end of their driveway to have it picked up and some garbage trucks won't travel up long driveways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
The total cost per month is $16.50. If we can do it...you can do it too...For the extra $5 this is a real service.

FYI, cost for the services you described down here:

Huntington is about $18 for general service with some limits on the number of bags, large item collection 2x per year but free access to the city land fill once a month.

Barboursville is totally free with unlimited number of bags, large item collection 2x per year and a one week period in the Spring to unload almost anything you want.

Never said those service weren't provided down here, I just seriously doubt they are provided in all areas. And for the record, I've seen places like that in the video up there too so don't try to act like it's all pristine up there. One need only to drive the old road between Fairmont and Morgantown or drive just outside of Morgantown to Richard and up into areas like Pixler Hill to see the same thing. Once you get outside city limits, the services just aren't the same. I think that's the case in most places.

Old 11-14-2007, 10:49 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,220,904 times
I honestly can't believe that. Do people really live in places like that?! Why aren't those places condemned by the health department. I don't see how people could live like that. I don't know what exactly.. but something needs to be done about this. I mean I've heard how WV is the poorest state in the nation. But until I watched that video I've never seen homes that bad.

Old 11-15-2007, 04:37 AM

4,714 posts, read 11,711,452 times
Bailey....Bailey....Bailey...I'm not acting like anything...up here...and I appreciate the 'forward' attitude of Morgantown..FYI, a county crew is doing nothing but cleaning up the public dumping points. They have almost eradicated the trash from Morgantown to the county line on Rt # 7...The areas you mentioned, at Richard towards Kingwood and Pixler Hill are history. A great effort is being done to clean up everything everywhere....thanks for the concern. (our bag limit is 5..free dump 1 Saturday a month)

One of the signs of civilization is 1. A bathing population 2. Disposal of the dead. 3. Garbage collection 4. Public education/medicine....
We're doing OK...the last civilization to render these services in any orderly manner was the Romans. Think about it.

GHO: If you get down to Mississippi or New Orleans you will see habitation just like the video. Tin roof shacks built about 4' off the dirt to be above the water flood level.
I was in Louisana 2 years before the hurricane and saw dwellings beside a 75' levee that eventually burst...What struck me as odd/unusual was the fact that the lower 1 or 2 feet of the 'Yankee Framed' board siding was rotted off...along the bottoms of the houses you could see daylight.
Every year the inhabitants got their $3500 FEMA checks and went on with their lives...
until the 'Big One' Katrina wiped them out...now, no FEMA checks...

Last edited by David Kennedy; 11-15-2007 at 04:45 AM..

Old 11-15-2007, 05:25 AM

240 posts, read 656,028 times
For those of you who have NEVER seen anything like that, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Btw, the majority of people who live like this are perfectly happy and would like you to leave them alone. They don't need or want your version of civilization.

In my line of work, I have to accept lifestyles that may differ from mine. I am not in the least bit judgemental either. In fact, I admire people who have so little but will give you the shirt off their back if you need it.

I think you could learn something from their attitudes as you tool around in your brand new SUVs sucking up gas and emitting pollutants.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd318/courgar72/P9225147copy2.jpg (broken link)

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd318/courgar72/P1010377copy2.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia