Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 11:27 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,040,332 times

Advertisements

Easily recoverable coal and wet gas resources will give the Northern Panhandle's Marshall County unprecedented wealth, making it West Virginia's richest county.

Marshall To Be Richest County - News, Sports, Jobs - The Intelligencer / Wheeling News-Register
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 12:19 AM

941 posts, read 1,355,242 times
I can't wait to see how this area grows! It will surely spill into Wheeling, which was once WV third largest city just barely behind Huntington and Charleston.

That area, and in particular Wheeling, has sooo much potential. I'm sure that Marshall county and the surrounding area will soon be filled out once again.

Though, I hope that they keep in mind what has happened in the past with natural resources. I say that they need to try and use some of the money that they make to further diversify their economy. They don't want to put all of their eggs in one basket.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:09 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,040,332 times
The important thing is they have to make sure the politicians don't get their hands on the money. Considering the adjacent areas in Ohio, West Virginia, and Pennsylvania the Wheeling area was once easily not only the most prosperous part of the state, but also the most populous. The decline of the steel industry reversed those fortunes. The potential of energy can reverse that decline. Marshall County, along with Belmont County in Ohio, are gold mines waiting to happen.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:37 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,873,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
The important thing is they have to make sure the politicians don't get their hands on the money. Considering the adjacent areas in Ohio, West Virginia, and Pennsylvania the Wheeling area was once easily not only the most prosperous part of the state, but also the most populous. The decline of the steel industry reversed those fortunes. The potential of energy can reverse that decline. Marshall County, along with Belmont County in Ohio, are gold mines waiting to happen.
Wheeling needs to protect its wealth from a corrupt state government and energy interest who stole all of WV's coal providing both benefits to WV and left a mess.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:36 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,235,461 times
Hopefully some of that prosperity will seep south into Wetzel and Tyler. And please, please, please extend 68 to hook up with I-70.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorpus View Post
Hopefully some of that prosperity will seep south into Wetzel and Tyler. And please, please, please extend 68 to hook up with I-70.
Definately

Old 08-16-2013, 08:35 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,873,540 times
Quote:
It would if the state would build infrastructure and provide funding to the new economic heart of WV in the north. However, the benefits to the south are limited by the states lack of support. They are stopping huge long term benefits for very small very short term benefits. For every dollar invested in the north of WV they would get several dollars back. For every dollar you take from northern wv is several dollars you will lose in the long run.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:14 AM

423 posts, read 1,237,337 times
Quote:
And please, please, please extend 68 to hook up with I-70.
I-68 currently connects to I-70 and to I-79. Are you talking about extending I-68 further west of I-79?

Old 08-16-2013, 09:33 AM

I think that upgrading 250 to an Interstate and connecting Wheeling to Fairmont would be a good idea.

That would not only connect Wheeling to Morgnatown and the Eastern part of the state, but it would give them a direct connection to the southern part of the state as well.

Our interstates in WV connect all of the bigger cities together with the exception of Wheeling. If that part of the state becomes as prosperous as they predict, then hopefully the state will consider an upgrade to that route or at least something similar.

Old 08-16-2013, 10:24 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,235,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billscamaros View Post
I-68 currently connects to I-70 and to I-79. Are you talking about extending I-68 further west of I-79?
Yeah, Bill, west from Morgantown to Hundred, Littleton, Cameron, Moundsville, then northwest to I-70 somewhere west of Wheeling. Maybe a spur from Hundred to New Martinsville.

Instead of following WV-7 west from Morgantown, another alternative would be to follow US-250 from Fairmont to Mannington to Hundred.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia