U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 05:37 PM

4,715 posts, read 8,578,998 times
Again Cudos for your efforts and observation...I feel Tom Paine here...Our People feel these things but lack a voice of expression for them...it takes everyones effort to keep us breathing free....

ps: Our Marine boot camp training came directly from those 'Commie brainwashing' techniques you mentioned earlier...

Our Marines, a clone in the image of the French Foreign Legion, the Bu****o/Samuri code, the Knights of Malta, and the Roman Army...God bless us for being protected by their sacrifice and their brothers and sisters in the other services.

>>>>CD's automatic deletion of a word containing letters of another word...in ebonics: bush she do...ha ha censorship?

HOME RULE: Morgantown voters shot down the effort of increased taxation. 27% of the elligible voters voted out of
a field of 49,699 total... (11,048 voted no...2542 voted Yes) a high turnout for a special election...
Morgantown needs 18 major road projects...Where's that invisible surplus Charleston? If its in some
Swiss Bank...please give the account number to Asel Kennedy.

Last edited by David Kennedy; 02-03-2008 at 06:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 12:08 AM

11,962 posts, read 7,465,198 times
thanks for the results, I was wondering which way it was going.
Don't be talkin so loud about bushido, 4-10. clearly states the fighting of duels is prohibited.
I've read the links posted, so far I'm thinking whichever city gets the pilot, it would be wise to have a cap limit of whatever % a town can impose. It should also include a % limit on debt. Folks just don't know what a pandora's box that can be until its too late.

Mojo didn't create this state restriction, so it's not fair to bust on him for that, but he did promise in his state of the state address in jan 08 that he'd allow more autonomy. I just don't think it's right that it should depend on his permission. THAT is a legislative/senate problem, because they allowed this situation if I've read your constitution correctly.

people really do need to be able to participate in shaping their government, because when it's all top down WV is no longer a democracy.
this voter apathy is so very sad. It's not just this election- it's every election. Apparently something big happened in 1996 and a whopping 54% showed up. Too sad.

I wish on all ballots there were an "NQ" choice to pick. One that states that I don't believe either candidate is qualified, and we need to have another election. In the case of yes or no proposals, the third choice of additional research is needed, please go back to the drawing board and come back with something better. I think it would help out in situations like these, where people really do want to fix things, but the plan proposed seems half baked.

I have a question for the forum that relates to all this WV gov stuff. Is there a link or a govt office where I can see how the state/county/towns finance themselves, who is responsible for providing what services, and where the money goes?
I can't seem to craft the right google question to get a comprehensive answer and WVgov site is not specific.

Old 02-04-2008, 04:29 AM

Ha Ha Ha...Oversight in WV...you must be kidding....how would the money be stolen

Old 04-05-2008, 06:37 AM

2 posts, read 2,523 times
Morgantown did not file an application because their council along with the attorneys the city hired to help prepare their application for home rule feel the legislation as it is written is unconstitutional.

Old 04-05-2008, 06:47 AM

2 posts, read 2,523 times
Default Morgantown Home Rule Decision

Morgantown did not file an application to participate in the home rule pilot program because its council was advised by the attorneys that the city hired to help file their application that the WV legislation creating the home rule pilot program as written is unconstitutional. Morgantown wanted to see this 2008 legislative session make changes to the 2007 statute to correct the problems and push back the date for the home rule board to accept applications under the new corrected statute, but it did not happen. The home rule board is going forward with the 4 applications it received, although a lawsuit has been filed in Harrison County regarding Bridgeport's application.

Old 04-05-2008, 08:20 AM

When the smoke clears, the misnomer of 'Home Rule' will have its place in Wv.
Tax increases, like a terminal cancer have a way of working their way into the system...infrastructure repair costs demand new money..it must come from the backs of the people. An alternative would be to have the state and some regions generate money from durable goods...like gasoline from coal...technology is there and should be used...but government is not a business...it can fail on its own because of the built-it system of try and fail or party affilitaing programs that spend money and fail...Government is not designed to succeed.. We (West Virginia) is in the black in this cycle because of huge coal taxation and gambling revenues...those things will change significantly in the next cycle...the country-wide recession is an indicator with the huge layoffs of un-needed job holders...now, as the Democrats take over in DC the crunch will come...too bad the business and taxation models are so detached and foriegn to each other...why not a economic plan for 10 or 20 years? Not a roller coaster of highs and lows...and when the lows hit, everyone stampeds to the foriegn markets to make their money...But...and this is a good but...Wv is the paradox...when everyone else is having the hard time..things are not so bad in the W of V...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia