Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 07:46 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,150,035 times

Advertisements

Alternate funding options still possible for U.S. 35* - News - The Charleston Gazette - West Virginia News and Sports -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 08:41 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,875,345 times
Sounds fair. If people want a useless road they need to pay for it. The bacon train is out of bacon. Buy your own bacon instead of stealing it.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:54 AM

6,077 posts, read 9,104,352 times
Simply looking on a map would show you why US 35 being completed as a four lane highway is crucial. Simply adding about 20 miles or so of four lane will open the entire southern half of the state up to major markets in Ohio, and will make business, industry, and transportation a heck of a lot easier!

Charleston to Columbus (time without highway)
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=C...mra=ls&t=m&z=8

to Dayton (time without highway)

to Cincinnati (time without highway)

Old 10-14-2013, 09:23 AM

The possible funding options discussed in the article could also be used in the north central part of the State too. I think we may see more financing like this for roads in the future.

As for US 35, perhaps establishing it has a toll road to pay for completion, then removing the tolls, is the best option.

Old 10-14-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
As for US 35, perhaps establishing it has a toll road to pay for completion, then removing the tolls, is the best option.
I agree, tolls are supposed to be permanent things in my opinion.

Old 10-14-2013, 05:40 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,875,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Simply looking on a map would show you why US 35 being completed as a four lane highway is crucial. Simply adding about 20 miles or so of four lane will open the entire southern half of the state up to major markets in Ohio, and will make business, industry, and transportation a heck of a lot easier!

Charleston to Columbus (time without highway)

to Dayton (time without highway)

to Cincinnati (time without highway)
If it brings in such great benefits it will be well worth the small toll.

Old 10-14-2013, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
If it brings in such great benefits it will be well worth the small toll.
Oh yes I totally agree. I'm in favor of a toll for that access. I just think it needs completed instead of half way done like it is now. US 35 now is literally one of the most dangerous roads in the state.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:01 AM

Agree chriscross.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:50 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,042,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Oh yes I totally agree. I'm in favor of a toll for that access. I just think it needs completed instead of half way done like it is now. US 35 now is literally one of the most dangerous roads in the state.
If that road is to be built, tolls are the only answer.

My question to you is this ... what exactly do you expect to sell to Columbus with that 20 miles of roadway that you don't sell them now? You speak of "opening up" southern West Virginia, but what will you be opening up to justify the expense when there are more pressing needs in areas with demonstrated demand potential?

From what I can tell, the primary export from that part of the state is in serious decline for reasons that have absolutely nothing to do with roads, and there are no major wet gas areas located there. Projections call for southern WV coal to continue the downward slide brought about by diminished demand as a result of wacko regulations, and the fact that the coal there is harder to reach and higher in sulfur content. Demand for northern WV coal is expected to remain basically stable while new gas and oil developments make that area ripe for real development, not the imaginary kind that "opening up" references. Pushing I68 to Moundsville, and expanding WV 2 from Moundsville to Huntington would yield far more return for the investment.

Old 10-20-2013, 01:21 AM

10,214 posts, read 15,925,047 times
If they make it a toll road, there MUST be something from the legislature in writing specifically stating that once the road is paid off, the tolls will be removed. I don't want it to be like the West Virginia Turnpike, or the countless toll roads in Maryland where I used to live, that were paid off long ago but tolls not only have been kept but been increased.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia