Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 06:43 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,132,770 times

Advertisements

Shell may pull plug on Pa. cracker* - News - Charleston Daily Mail - West Virginia News and Sports -

Story regarding Royal Dutch Shell may not invest in a $2 billion petrochemical plant in PA. I wonder if this will open up the possibility of placing a cracker plant in WV?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 03:04 PM

79,907 posts, read 43,945,307 times
From what I hear.......and it's pretty darn solid. I know 100% for sure that the property has been sold, there is a cracker plant coming to WV.

Old 11-01-2013, 06:48 PM

1,642 posts, read 2,409,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
From what I hear.......and it's pretty darn solid. I know 100% for sure that the property has been sold, there is a cracker plant coming to WV.
Is this at Washington Bottom?

Old 11-01-2013, 09:48 PM

10,147 posts, read 14,990,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
Shell may pull plug on Pa. cracker* - News - Charleston Daily Mail - West Virginia News and Sports -

Story regarding Royal Dutch Shell may not invest in a $2 billion petrochemical plant in PA. I wonder if this will open up the possibility of placing a cracker plant in WV?
There are cracker plants, and there are cracker plants. The Shell project was to be a massive undertaking. With all those resources located in that region, somebody is going to build something there or nearby. The area from WestPenn south to Parkersburg is going to get a cracker sooner or later. It might be in Ohio, but that area will get a plant. It costs too much to move all that gas out of there.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:25 PM

354 posts, read 503,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
I wonder if this will open up the possibility of placing a cracker plant in WV?
Not sure how balking the PA cracker because of planned pipelines to already built and unused refineries along the Gulf helps WV in any way. Uh not to mention this quote:

"...the company over-invested in the U.S. oil and gas shale market. He told the Financial Times in early October his "biggest regret" as Shell CEO was the company's $24 billion bet on North American shale."

Old 11-03-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greystreet21 View Post
Not sure how balking the PA cracker because of planned pipelines to already built and unused refineries along the Gulf helps WV in any way. Uh not to mention this quote:

"...the company over-invested in the U.S. oil and gas shale market. He told the Financial Times in early October his "biggest regret" as Shell CEO was the company's $24 billion bet on North American shale."
You are reading far too much into a single comment. These companies have to balance out their investments for various reasons. Shell is currently cash strapped and has to decide among three priorities... that is the thrust of his comments, not that the cracker investment is a poor choice. While Shell is cash strapped, Consol energy has recently taken moves to throw $14 billion more into their northern West Virginia Marcellus investments so that they will have sufficient cash to take advantage of the opportunities.

Also, while there is currently over capacity in Gulf Coast cracking facilities, it is not anticipated that this situation will remain that way, and the pipelines do not have the capacity to transport the kinds of volume that new developments will bring about long term.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:59 AM

79,907 posts, read 43,945,307 times
Major Economic Development Announcement Thursday

Old 11-14-2013, 04:57 PM

282 posts, read 482,642 times
WV Governor Announces Ethylene Cracker Plant Project

Old 11-14-2013, 07:01 PM

6,010 posts, read 9,000,986 times
well it's about time! Glad to hear, and glad for the communities in that part of the state that will be impacted by the economic impact. I believe that as far away as Clarksburg, Charleston, Wheeling, and even to some extend Huntington because of the growing transportation industry there will be impacted in some way. the whole state will no doubt reap the benefit!

Old 11-14-2013, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
well it's about time! Glad to hear, and glad for the communities in that part of the state that will be impacted by the economic impact. I believe that as far away as Clarksburg, Charleston, Wheeling, and even to some extend Huntington because of the growing transportation industry there will be impacted in some way. the whole state will no doubt reap the benefit!
There is no doubt the whole state will benefit. Manufacturing wise this is huge for the Ohio Valley, and of course Charleston is always interested in finding fatted cows to milk for tax money and pork. From Parkersburg north will be booming with plastics and oil and gas production, and Huntington will be bursting at the seams with transportation activity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia