Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 01:27 AM

14,173 posts, read 22,614,214 times

Advertisements

This is my basic assessment of the cities and significant towns in West Virginia...

Charleston/Huntington: The government epicenter and largest conurbation in the state. Relatively isolated, but with some influence from Cincinnati.

Morgantown/Fairmont/Clarksburg: The academic and technological epicenter of the state. Fairly well-connected, with moderate influence from Pittsburgh.

Martinsburg/Charles Town: Rapidly-growing, well-connected exurban area with heavy influence from Washington DC.

Wheeling/Weirton: Classic "Rust Belt" conurbation with heavy influence from Pittsburgh, and Weirton practically becoming part of the Pittsburgh exurban fringe.

Elkins/Fayetteville/Summersville: Small towns with decent potential for growth (or even "resort" status) due to nearby outdoor recreation.

Parkersburg/Beckley/Bluefield: Smaller cities with low growth potential due to geographic isolation and a lack of proximity to other major urban areas.

Generally speaking, are my assessments correct? Fill me in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 07:25 AM

10,147 posts, read 14,985,383 times
In one manner of speaking, they are correct. They ignore or minimize, however, the massive overlaps that exist in the northern and eastern areas. While Charleston, Huntington, Beckley, and to a degree Parkersburg are relatively isolated, the northern and eastern areas are immediately adjacent to, and an some respects actually a part of, far larger urban clusters. Those areas benefit from that association and proximity.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:01 AM

941 posts, read 1,348,472 times
It appears that you certainly have the right idea. If you consider Cincinnati having an influence on the Metro Valley, then you must also consider the even larger influence of Columbus on the area. You could possibly even include Lexington as well. I will add that Columbus certainly has an influence on Parkersburg.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:46 AM

1,946 posts, read 4,055,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PynballWyzyrd View Post
It appears that you certainly have the right idea. If you consider Cincinnati having an influence on the Metro Valley, then you must also consider the even larger influence of Columbus on the area. You could possibly even include Lexington as well. I will add that Columbus certainly has an influence on Parkersburg.
I agree Pynball about the influence of Columbus in the Huntington area. I was unaware until moving to Putnam County and now working in Huntington how many people in this area day trip on weekends to Cinci, C-bus, and to a lesser extent Lexington. There are even a large number of people that are Cincinnati Reds or Bengals season ticket holders.

Charleston doesn't necessarily have that influence and is rather isolated.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:59 AM

941 posts, read 1,348,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
I agree Pynball about the influence of Columbus in the Huntington area. I was unaware until moving to Putnam County and now working in Huntington how many people in this area day trip on weekends to Cinci, C-bus, and to a lesser extent Lexington. There are even a large number of people that are Cincinnati Reds or Bengals season ticket holders.

Charleston doesn't necessarily have that influence and is rather isolated.
Unfortunately, that is the case with Charleston, but I was trying to be kind and just say the "Metro Valley." Lol.

I will say that it is impossible to go to King's Island and not run into someone that I know from Huntington. Guaranteed...every time. Haha

And yes, most people are Reds or Bengals fans. To an extent, many people are either OSU or UK fans as well. (Mostly OSU by a rather large margin).

I remember growing up that it was very common to spend the weekend in Columbus, Cincinnati, or Lexington (that is in the order of my family's preference).

Old 11-07-2013, 03:01 PM

282 posts, read 482,397 times
I don't agree with your assessment of Parkersburg at all. Parkersburg is no more isolated than anywhere else in the state, and given it's within a three hour drive of four major cities, at the crossroads of I-77 and U.S. Route 50 as well as right on the Ohio River, 70 miles from Charleston, it may be one of the least isolated areas. How much the area grows or not depends on a lot of factors including support from the state capital, but it certainly has as much growth potential as anywhere in the state, especially with the Marcellus & Utica shale. Columbus and to a lesser degree Pittsburgh both have a significant influence on the area. Columbus is less than 2 hours away, and now with the completion of the Nelsonville bypass it's continuous four lanes in a very direct route. Also, three of the local channels on the local cable are Columbus or Pittsburgh stations. Also, while no cities in the state are large, Parkersburg is currently the state's third largest city (based on permanent resident population). So I'm not sure where the "smaller cities" comes from.

Old 11-07-2013, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route50guy View Post
I don't agree with your assessment of Parkersburg at all. Parkersburg is no more isolated than anywhere else in the state, and given it's within a three hour drive of four major cities, at the crossroads of I-77 and U.S. Route 50 as well as right on the Ohio River, 70 miles from Charleston, it may be one of the least isolated areas. How much the area grows or not depends on a lot of factors including support from the state capital, but it certainly has as much growth potential as anywhere in the state, especially with the Marcellus & Utica shale. Columbus and to a lesser degree Pittsburgh both have a significant influence on the area. Columbus is less than 2 hours away, and now with the completion of the Nelsonville bypass it's continuous four lanes in a very direct route. Also, three of the local channels on the local cable are Columbus or Pittsburgh stations. Also, while no cities in the state are large, Parkersburg is currently the state's third largest city (based on permanent resident population). So I'm not sure where the "smaller cities" comes from.
I agree with the fact that Parkersburg has good access to Columbus. Route 33 provides 4-lane access from Columbus to the Mid-Ohio Valley cities of Parkersburg and Ripley/Ravenswood. Parkersburg is less isolated from a larger metro area than Charleston. Even though Charleston itself is a part of a slightly larger urban area.

I disagree slightly about the comment that Pittsburgh has influence in Parkersburg. I would have to say that Cleveland would hold that title.

Old 11-07-2013, 04:38 PM

282 posts, read 482,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
I agree with the fact that Parkersburg has good access to Columbus. Route 33 provides 4-lane access from Columbus to the Mid-Ohio Valley cities of Parkersburg and Ripley/Ravenswood. Parkersburg is less isolated from a larger metro area than Charleston. Even though Charleston itself is a part of a slightly larger urban area.

I disagree slightly about the comment that Pittsburgh has influence in Parkersburg. I would have to say that Cleveland would hold that title.
Corridor D (Route 50) connects with U.S. 33 in Athens, which is the route from Parkersburg to Columbus. It's not a big deal but I would say the influence with Pittsburgh is greater than Cleveland but neither as much as Columbus, especially when you cross the river. People around here go to Pittsburgh all the time just to shop for the day. Cleveland is a good 30 minutes further

Old 11-07-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Corridor D (Route 50) connects with U.S. 33 in Athens, which is the route from Parkersburg to Columbus. It's not a big deal but I would say the influence with Pittsburgh is greater than Cleveland but neither as much as Columbus, especially when you cross the river. People around here go to Pittsburgh all the time just to shop for the day. Cleveland is a good 30 minutes further
I did not realize that. I do have some family from Parkersburg that frequent Pittsburgh on a more regular basis. But I figured that was outside the norm.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:02 PM

10,147 posts, read 14,985,383 times
Quote:
I don't think Parkersburg is anywhere near as isolated as is Charleston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia