U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 04:19 PM

10,301 posts, read 10,396,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
..... In my opinion, the biggest negative about chemicals in Kanawha is some of the plants are located right in the midst of populated areas as opposed to the Marshall county plants that were carefully located away from them. .....
The chemical plants were there first. In many cases employees built houses close by to minimize the commute to work. This is true of the DuPont plant in Belle, Carbide in South Charleston, and the Institute plant. I don't know if it is true of FMC, but the others are historical facts. You can find pictures of the early days of the chemical plants with nothing around them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 04:30 PM

6,349 posts, read 8,106,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydoc View Post
No matter what the cause, the fact is that clean water is becoming scarcer. I was listening to NPR and an interview about the chemical spill in Virginia's water supply. The fellow they talked to said that he was amazed at how important water was. He'd never thought about it and just took it for granted. He was upset because he couldn't shower, make coffee or use tap water.

Keeping several days of clean water (and food?) stored at your home is just common sense. You never know what may affect your water or food supply... You figure about 1 gallon of water per person per day, and about 1,500 - 2,000 calories per adult person. Yes, you could get by on less, but that gives you a rough idea of what you need.
Why let clean water get in the way of some companies profit that will all go to upper management and big investors. The rest of the peasants can go drink chemical water. It is healthy or something.

Old 01-11-2014, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtercupMcToots View Post
West Virginians don't want any job killing EPA regulations.
They do now.

It is a shame that people need to get their water supply destroyed before realizing how stupid they were in the past. This country, and this state, engaged in a race to the bottom and we reached the bottom. Now that people see how bad it is the race is up again.

Old 01-11-2014, 05:06 PM

71,504 posts, read 30,085,054 times
We have all sorts of regulations. It's funny how all of this happens almost every time. There are regulations in place. They are not enforced. When they are it's simply a fine which is considered the cost of doing business. The company carries on and the government gets a little extra money and both are happy.

Look at the banking mess. We had a really strong law in place. Sarbanes/Oxley. It set criminal sanctions against the CEO's of companies that ran afoul of the law. Countrywide clearly did. Many others did also but Countrywide is just the low hanging easy one to pick on. Did Mozila go to prison? No, of course not. He got to retire with many millions of dollars and the government got their taste.

From what I've heard the state knew there was problems here. That the company had been fined before. Nobody is against regulations. Many are against new regulations to try and hide the facts that the old ones were never enforced.

Old 01-11-2014, 05:39 PM

4,984 posts, read 6,544,830 times
As a Kanawha County resident, this Chemical spill has not changed my perspective on the chemical industry in the area. Obviously this company has fouled up big time, but the other plants in the city have never been an issue. I hope that tougher safety measurements come from this accident, but not anything that would cripple the industry.

My thoughts and prayers go out to my family, friends, neighbors, and others as they have to experience this tragedy. Luckily my parents are in Lewis County at the cabin until this mess is cleaned up. Unfortunately the rest of my family is without water.

Old 01-11-2014, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
As a Kanawha County resident, this Chemical spill has not changed my perspective on the chemical industry in the area. Obviously this company has fouled up big time, but the other plants in the city have never been an issue. I hope that tougher safety measurements come from this accident, but not anything that would cripple the industry.

My thoughts and prayers go out to my family, friends, neighbors, and others as they have to experience this tragedy. Luckily my parents are in Lewis County at the cabin until this mess is cleaned up. Unfortunately the rest of my family is without water.
It did change your opinion than since you want more regulation.

I dont blame you.

It must be terrible to live without water. I was actually thinking of filling my car full of water and driving down to the area to hand it out, but I heard water is now widely available. However, if you need any water ill overnight you some, on me, to you or any other poster who cant get it.

Old 01-11-2014, 05:53 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,478,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
The chemical plants were there first. In many cases employees built houses close by to minimize the commute to work. This is true of the DuPont plant in Belle, Carbide in South Charleston, and the Institute plant. I don't know if it is true of FMC, but the others are historical facts. You can find pictures of the early days of the chemical plants with nothing around them.
That makes sense. Does DuPont still make that pesticide there? That is the most troublesome aspect. A leak of that stuff could be catastrophic. There is no way I would want to live near that plant if they still make it.

Coincidentally, I was at the basketball game tonight, and the guy sitting next to me (who also happens to be the girl's basketball coach at a Kanawha County high school), was planning on staying overnight at a hotel so he could shower and the like and he plans to take as much water back with him as his vehicle will carry.

Old 01-11-2014, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
That makes sense. Does DuPont still make that pesticide there? That is the most troublesome aspect. A leak of that stuff could be catastrophic. There is no way I would want to live near that plant if they still make it.

Coincidentally, I was at the basketball game tonight, and the guy sitting next to me (who also happens to be the girl's basketball coach at a Kanawha County high school), was planning on staying overnight at a hotel so he could shower and the like and he plans to take as much water back with him as his vehicle will carry.
If this turns out to be serious we can setup a refugee camp somewhere in Northern WV to help out displaced WVians. It is time to assert leadership during this crisis. The first order of business is cleaning the water, and getting everyone water. Once that is restored we can investigate these companies and the politicians in Charleston for corruption.

Old 01-11-2014, 07:06 PM

4,984 posts, read 6,544,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
It did change your opinion than since you want more regulation.

I dont blame you.

It must be terrible to live without water. I was actually thinking of filling my car full of water and driving down to the area to hand it out, but I heard water is now widely available. However, if you need any water ill overnight you some, on me, to you or any other poster who cant get it.
Thanks, but I am not in WV anymore due to my job. And no it did not change my opinion of the chemical industry in the Kanawha Valley. I think that because of the accident that more safety regulations need to come as a result, but that should happen after every industrial accident. This company should be cited for violations and fined for the costly clean up. But I still support the chemical industry here in the KV because of the impact it has on the economy and the jobs it creates. There has not been an accident before, and one spill by a plant that is not even a major facility is not going to change my opinion.

Old 01-11-2014, 07:30 PM

1,443 posts, read 2,150,514 times
It kinda blows my mind that the water source for the entire Charleston metro area is being sucked up downsteam from an outfit like this' chemical storage. What other chemical storage is just upsteam from the intake?? And who is this WV American Water Co.? I thought the municipalities/counties controlled the water, not private companies, at least not in metro areas like Charleston - that's kind of surprising to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia