Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2006, 04:43 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,224,009 times

Advertisements

I'm wanting to leave the hot weather in Texas within a few years and move to either WV, VA, or NC. I absolutely love the mountains. I'm checking websites like crazy and am being very fussy in what I'm looking for, such as climate, demographics, poverty, weather catastrophes, etc. Monroe County looked good overall but then I went to check out Peterstown and am wondering why such a small town of about 500 has such a high violent crime rate, a rating of 6 on Sperling's.

Any comments would be appreciated. Many thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2006, 09:26 AM

12 posts, read 59,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amjb View Post
I'm wanting to leave the hot weather in Texas within a few years and move to either WV, VA, or NC. I absolutely love the mountains. I'm checking websites like crazy and am being very fussy in what I'm looking for, such as climate, demographics, poverty, weather catastrophes, etc. Monroe County looked good overall but then I went to check out Peterstown and am wondering why such a small town of about 500 has such a high violent crime rate, a rating of 6 on Sperling's.

Any comments would be appreciated. Many thanks!!
Peterstown is becoming a bigger town. A gold course just went in and big homes are going in. Peterstown is right on the Virginia border. Lots of people work in VA and live in Peterstown and surrounding area. There are no industry in Monroe county except Good Year De-icing and specialty items made for the airlines. People who work there stay until they retire. You can live in Peterstown and travel to close cities to work very easy. I would not know why the crime is rated high. Peterstown has a elementary middle school, one bank, family dollar store, fire house, 2 restaurants, hardware store, and a few other small shops. I would have to look what else when I am there. The gas is very cheap across the state line at Peterstown. No rental units. You can search the web at United Country Real Estate to see what Monroe County has for sale. The prices has skyrocked in the past 5 years.
I have only found one house that I would like to add to my collection, however it needs a new septic system. But the price looks good.

Old 10-21-2006, 09:35 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,224,009 times
Many thanks for the information on Peterstown.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:39 AM

1 posts, read 3,037 times
Default Fishermen Beware!!

If you're thinking on a nice atmosphere, getting away from it all and just relaxing for the week, trying to leave all your cares/problems behind and then it happens at the nicest place you never thought would happen.
Our V Bottom Jonboat was stolen July 31,2009 in Summers Co. WV at the Mouth of Indian Creek, we live but a couple miles down the road, and didn't see any since in hauling it back and forth, so hubby anchored it around the tree like we did for ages, so on that bright sunny day of discovery around 3 to 5pm, some nice theif just took off with our jonboat and loaded it upon his small vehicle of some sort and headed towards Rick Creek, Va, our Jonboat was silver/petrolium blue, grey, some read on the inside, with Beige Seats. If you have any info on it, please contact the Summers Co. WV State Police...So the next time you're out camping...FisherMen Beware!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia