U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 05:35 PM

2,429 posts, read 2,481,906 times

Advertisements

Hi looking at many places around the USA for retirement, I am in the PNW currently in a very large, city, I went to college in Wheeling WV many years ago, and loved the people there, and the nature of the state.

I am looking for

homes under 190k with a little acreage

low crime

friendly people, decent singles market

pretty nature

acceptance of outsiders

a VA facility nearby

all 4 seasons, but with mild snowfalls

I thus far been looking at Parkersburg, Huntington, and Fairmont, and the surrounding areas of each one...what would be the best area for me to further consider..thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 06:02 PM

4,568 posts, read 7,741,847 times
The Huntington area would meet pretty much all of your needs. We have all four seasons here with about the most mild winter weather in the state. We get snowfall here but rarely more than 3-4 inches at a time. With our location on the western border of WV, we are close by to not only the outdoor recreation in WV, but KY and OH as well.

The VAMC here often receives rewards for the quality of care and should you need a higher level of care, some of the best hospitals in the state are here in Huntington. This is due in part to the Marshall School of Medicine. Having Marshall here also means that "outsiders" are readily accepted due to the large number of people here due to the school. Having Marshall also provides opportunity for college athletic events and performing arts. This is in addition to what the city itself offers in the arena and performing arts centers. We also have a great parks system here with some great museums and local restaurants/shops.

You should be able to find the type of property you are looking for in the outlying areas. The crime in these areas is typically very low as well. One of the consistent positive attributes of the area is also the friendliness of the people. Come check us out here and should you have any other questions about Huntington, feel free to ask.

Tim

Old 02-26-2014, 06:51 PM

I possibly would have put a little bit more of an emphasis on the Morgantown area as there is a VA hospital in Clarksburg, but the problem is the home prices with a little bit of a acreage there around Morgantown, ... is a bit out of my housing budget range. I have read about some of those great mom and pop Italian little restaurants over there in Clarksburg though. Does Huntington have any decent Italian owned pizzerias? That is no way a deal breaker but it sure would be nice after living out here on the West Coast for so many years, where there really are no decent italian eateries.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:59 PM

79,582 posts, read 37,548,157 times
If it was me I would find a cabin along the Cheat River.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:04 PM

I want a at least a 1700 square ft home with one acre. Not ready to retreat to a cabin out in the woods just yet.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:24 PM

4,568 posts, read 7,741,847 times
Right in Huntington there is a great little place called La Famiglia. It's a small local place with some great food. There is also a place just outside of town called Rocco's that has very good Italian food as well. Rocco's Little Italy is in downtown but specializes more in sandwiches. There's also a very good pizza place that, although not Italian owned, has some darn good pizza. It's called Backyard Pizza and specializes in wood fired artisan pizzas. Hope this helps.

La Famiglia / A Southern Italian Deli

Rocco's Ristorante Italian Cuisine | Ceredo, WV

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rocco...n/193348839171

Backyard - Taste the Wood Fire

Old 02-26-2014, 10:31 PM

10,148 posts, read 13,230,218 times
If you went to school at Jesuit, you probably know something about Morgantown. This is a terrific place to retire for many reasons... plenty of amenities in a small city, a national university that has planned activities and classes for retirees, lots of transplants and thus ready acceptance of newcomers, and wonderful outdoor amenities nearby. We have several Italian eateries here, and more pizza shops than I can remember off hand although Clarksburg easily has more of them than any place else in the state. There is a strong Italian ethnic presence there.

I agree that it would be hard to get land with a house for that price range here though. There are townhouses available, but the land is an issue. We do have a V.A. clinic here at Westover, but perhaps you should consider Fairmont. I'm sure there are houses with land in that range there, and it is close to both the V.A. in Clarksburg and the outstanding ambience of Morgantown, Cheat Lake, Coopers Rock, and all the stuff that goes with that.

Old 02-26-2014, 10:46 PM

yes I figured Fairmont would be cheaper, and it would put inbetween Morgantown and Clarksburg (where the VA hospital is), how is Fairmont? Is it a nice place to live? Again I am in the PNW right now, and researching a few possible states and places for retirement...so not sure where I will land just yet

Old 02-27-2014, 06:10 AM

10,148 posts, read 13,230,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrider434 View Post
yes I figured Fairmont would be cheaper, and it would put inbetween Morgantown and Clarksburg (where the VA hospital is), how is Fairmont? Is it a nice place to live? Again I am in the PNW right now, and researching a few possible states and places for retirement...so not sure where I will land just yet
I think Fairmont is a nice town. It is in the heart of prosperous North Central West Virginia and the state's High Tech Corridor and home to a NASA research facility. It also has one of what I consider to be the state's two medium sized institutions of higher learning.

There are really 6 distinct areas in West Virginia, with each being quite different from the others. Mostly historically German ethnic Wheeling with its old money and outstanding park system and the rest of the Northern Panhandle is a distinct area that in many ways is similar to Pittsburgh. North Central West Virginia is most similar to that in terms of the rest of the state, but NCWV is much closer to the mountains of the Allegheny Range and it has a more prosperous vibe to it since it has not lost nearly as much of its economic base as has the Panhandle, and has compensated for what it did lose with gains in technology better positioning it for the future.

If you liked living in Wheeling (and I am a Wheeling native living in Morgantown), you would very likely also like living in any of the three primary North Central West Virginia cities. The other areas, with the possible exception of Parkersburg, are quite different than what you experienced in Wheeling but Parkersburg at this time lacks the feel you would get in the Panhandle or NCWV in my opinion. It is more removed from Pittsburgh influence.

http://www.fairmontwv.gov/index.php?...sk=view&id=144

Old 02-27-2014, 10:50 AM

2,429 posts, read 6,692,987 times
Keep in mind that even the "big cities" in WV are only 50K in population. I don't think there's a place in the state where you would be more than 10-15 minutes from a rural area, where I think you could easily find something under $190K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia