Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 12:41 AM

708 posts, read 1,156,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Alcohol is culturally involved for thousands of years. Good or bad, it isn't going anywhere and since it can't be stopped (proven time and again) the focus should be on responsible behavior with it.

I believe you are right about the scientific evidence. It appears very sketchy... perhaps because with use being largely illegal it is difficult to conduct the research? I just know that in my more than 2 decades of work with inmates, a very large percentage of whom are drug users, most of them indicated to me that they began that journey by using marijuana. Not scientific, mind you... but experience with users has indicated to me it is a triggering factor. And, since it does not have universal acceptance to the degree long achieved by alcohol, in my view there is no logic to promoting its use. One mind altering vice is sufficient.
I agree that with alcohol or pot you have to have responsible usage, used in moderation. I drank alcohol before I ever smoked pot, and I think that applies with a lot of people. Canadian Mist, Crown Royal and PBR were always staples at our family gatherings/card games so me and most of my cousins drank, so to me alcohol was the first gateway drug. Alcohol has always had a less stigma attached to it, even though its more dangerous that pot, especially with the older generation in our and most families.

With the legalization of pot in some states, perception is changing rapidly making pot socially acceptable. Eventually in the next 10-15 years I foresee pot being legalized in the U.S. depending on what Party is running the show. Still the alcohol interest, prison industrial complex, most republicans, law enforcement, and cartels will fight legalization. The drug war has been a complete failure on so many levels. Look at the drug abuse situation in WV, it isn't pot, alcohol, or even cocaine that has made a impact, it was legal prescription pain pills made by Big Pharmacuetical Companies that were given free reign to use this place as there own little drug proving ground(aka The Great OxyContin Genocide). These companies raked in billions and paid pennies on the dollar in lawsuits filed by our and other Attourney Generals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 12:55 AM

708 posts, read 1,156,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
The law that made home brewing legal was signed by Jimmie Carter. It basically says that you can make 200 gallons of alcoholic beverages per year in your own home for personal consumption without having a license or paying federal alcohol taxes. I don't think it makes any difference whether you want to make wine, distill spirits, or brew beer.

At one point, WV law was very much unclear about the legality of home brewing. I'm not sure what the case is right now, but I don't expect to see any revenoorers knocking on my door any time soon.
I know someone who had there still smashed in, even though they had never sold any shine, that's what confused me on WV state law if it just pertained home brew or wine making. Seems like Moonshine gets the whammy when it comes to distilling spirits.

If you ever been to Pipestem Resort in Summers County and rode the tram down the mountain to the lodge on the river, there is a nonoperational still under a rock ledge that can be seen, even the the website for the Park promotes it. It's a shame that so much red tape exist that blocks tourism development when it comes to trying to do something that promotes our state heritage. Our country and state is so great but so broken as well.

http://www.nps.gov/blue/historyculture/stories.htm

Old 03-14-2014, 10:12 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,243,220 times
What I think is a shame is that the distilling industry is big business and provides jobs and taxes for Tennessee and Kentucky. West Virginia has a natural marketing edge but state laws have hampered development. Those are jobs and businesses that would stay in the state, as long as people drink. In other words, forever.

Kentucky Distillers Association

Old 03-14-2014, 10:33 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,031,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post
What I think is a shame is that the distilling industry is big business and provides jobs and taxes for Tennessee and Kentucky. West Virginia has a natural marketing edge but state laws have hampered development. Those are jobs and businesses that would stay in the state, as long as people drink. In other words, forever.

I agree. I think the state is really missing the boat here. You'd think someone with some vision in government would realize this potential, but they are too busy concentrating on giving each other pay raises.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:31 AM

33 posts, read 103,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurseOfWilmore View Post
2. WV really needs to get Maurijuana legalization steamrolling, this would benefit tourism, decrease drug abuse, and open the states coffers to additional tax revenue.
Agree. While the recreational aspect would be fun and all, there are so many other ways hemp production could help diversify the economy of the state. Textiles, biofuels, further medicinal research. Might as well take a hint from Colorado and Washington and become the pioneer for the east coast before another state beats us to the punch. Just like gambling, get in first before everyone else jumps in.

Old 03-16-2014, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDT1211 View Post
Agree. While the recreational aspect would be fun and all, there are so many other ways hemp production could help diversify the economy of the state. Textiles, biofuels, further medicinal research. Might as well take a hint from Colorado and Washington and become the pioneer for the east coast before another state beats us to the punch. Just like gambling, get in first before everyone else jumps in.
Brother1211 ... West Virginia could jump in immediately with both feet, and still be way later than the real wacko centers on the left coast. I agree hemp production would be a good thing. I don't agree on the Mary Jane part. YITB CTM644.

Old 03-18-2014, 11:05 AM

16,674 posts, read 15,644,927 times
Quote:

Your post made me curious (as you often do ), so I did a little searching. Apparently it is not legal in the United States to operate an alcohol still without a license from the ATF. Of course that comes only after an extensive application process and some hefty fees. So, it's not just state laws, but federal laws that are in the way.

Most craft breweries have been opened by people who developed a passion for good beer by learning how to brew their own. Maybe if it was legal to distill your own whiskey, people would develop a passion for doing it and open a small business to some some home made hooch.

Old 03-19-2014, 11:43 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,243,220 times
Hi MG. Yes, it's been illegal to make moonshine without giving the government their cut, as in the Whiskey Rebellion. West Virginia instituted prohibition in 1914, and the nation went dry 6 years after that. Here is a NY Times article about West Virginia's prohibition. It mentions that in Wheeling alone 900 people became unemployed.

BARGAINS IN DRINKS ON EVE OF DRY LAW - Prohibition in West Virginia Quietly Shuts 1,200 Saloons. - View Article - NYTimes.com

Here is a distillery database that lists about 8 WV pre-prohibition distilleries, though the information is a bit bare.

The pre-Prohibition Distillery Database

Here's an interesting article on a Wheeling company that dealt in whiskey and other liquor.

Those Pre-Pro Whiskey Men!: July 2013

And here's another article on how prohibition hit West Virginia.

https://www.libraries.wvu.edu/about/...west-virginia/

Here's a list of the current distilleries in the state. It is unfortunately small potatoes compared to Kentucky and Tennessee, but hopefully it will grow.

Distilleries

Here in Pennsylvania we still have the state store system, which everyone hates unless they work for the PLCB or their relatives do.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Hi MG. Yes, it's been illegal to make moonshine without giving the government their cut, as in the Whiskey Rebellion. West Virginia instituted prohibition in 1914, and the nation went dry 6 years after that. Here is a NY Times article about West Virginia's prohibition. It mentions that in Wheeling alone 900 people became unemployed.

BARGAINS IN DRINKS ON EVE OF DRY LAW - Prohibition in West Virginia Quietly Shuts 1,200 Saloons. - View Article - NYTimes.com

Here is a distillery database that lists about 8 WV pre-prohibition distilleries, though the information is a bit bare.

The pre-Prohibition Distillery Database

Here's an interesting article on a Wheeling company that dealt in whiskey and other liquor.

Those Pre-Pro Whiskey Men!: July 2013

And here's another article on how prohibition hit West Virginia.

https://www.libraries.wvu.edu/about/...west-virginia/

Here's a list of the current distilleries in the state. It is unfortunately small potatoes compared to Kentucky and Tennessee, but hopefully it will grow.

Distilleries

Here in Pennsylvania we still have the state store system, which everyone hates unless they work for the PLCB or their relatives do.
Bob ... thanks for that awesome post! Interestingly, the Weltys moved from whiskey production to later selling automobiles in Wheeling. As far as I know, they still do that. My great uncle was one of West Virginia's first state troopers (back when they rode on horseback), having entered the service from Wheeling. Later, when he was assigned to the southern part of the state the Charleston newspaper has records of him having participated in dangerous moonshine still raids with federal agents.

Wheeling had speak easys, one of which was reopened in the early 70s (called Tin Pan Alley) (it had been closed for many years), but the original building with furnishings were closed up but still in place. It operated as a night spot for several years but eventually closed when the manager was murdered in an unrelated incident in Ohio.

As you pointed out, the obvious alcohol businesses were closed up, but I'd be willing to bet those 900 folks still had their jobs operating under the radar there. Wheeling... ethnically German, had no respect for the prohibition laws and I have a strong hunch alcohol was readily available there throughout the entire process. I know from growing up there in the 50s and 60s, when WV did not have "liquor by the drink", Wheeling bars only sold "low test" beer openly, but every one sold whiskey from bottles that were kept under the counter. They obeyed the beer laws... stopping beer sales at midnight so as to not threaten their beer licenses, but they continued to sell whiskey all night long. They also paid absolutely no attention to "age laws". If you were old enough to get yourself up on a bar stool, you could get a drink... just like in Europe. Nobody paid any attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia