Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 10:08 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,630,500 times

Advertisements

Berkeley County in the Eastern Panhandle passed an law to become a smoke-free county starting on July 1st. It will affect me very little as most of the places I/we visit are smoke-free already but I am sure others will be happy. I don't think the ban covers open areas like parks, etc. What galls me about some smokers (ex-smoker here) is NOT the second hand smoke but the trash. Butts left on the ground where there is a butt can nearby. Or instead of rolling out the tobacco and sticking the filter in your poacket for the trash, the whole thing goes on the ground. I watched one lady get out of her car this morning in my work parking lot, cigarette in hand, and take one last puff before throwing it on the ground and stepping on it. It is easy to tell smoking areas around where I work, just look for the butts. And putting a smoker (one of those things with a wide base and long neck to put cigarette butts in) out helps little. Some still throw the butts on the ground and others stick trash in the smoker causing small fires. Anyway, it is too bad that all have to suffer for the wrongs of the few. It is what it is.

Berkeley County passes tougher smoking ban - Herald Mail Media: West Virginia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 09:29 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,041,303 times
Yet more liberty and freedom slips by in the name of social engineering. A business should have the right to decide whether or not to permit smoking on their property, just as a customer has the right to decide to patronize or not to patronize an establishment that permits smoking. Nazis want to control every form of behavior possible, all for the "common good" of course. Before you know it, you will be told when you can relieve yourself in order to maximize good usage of the sewage system, and assessed a penalty for using it out of turn. Big Brother will keep you in line. You need it of course. He has ways of making you conform.

By the way, I do not smoke. I simply resent being told by government that I don't have a right to do it if I were to choose to do it.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:53 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,491,448 times
Its a disgusting and inconsiderate habit and a matter of public health. Secondary and tertiary smoke are significant carcinogens that affect everybody regardless of their attempts to avoid it, short of living in a bubble.

Secondhand Smoke

Also, smoking is a heavy contributor to litter, typically making up the majority of all litter in an area.

https://news.vice.com/article/millio...ing-the-planet

Quite honestly, I would be in favor of a full on public smoking ban, which would ban smoking in all public spaces, including sidewalks, streets, parks, ect in addition to what is already typically covered. I would also examine limiting use within motor vehicles.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattec View Post
Its a disgusting and inconsiderate habit and a matter of public health. Secondary and tertiary smoke are significant carcinogens that affect everybody regardless of their attempts to avoid it, short of living in a bubble.

Secondhand Smoke

Also, smoking is a heavy contributor to litter, typically making up the majority of all litter in an area.

https://news.vice.com/article/millio...ing-the-planet

Quite honestly, I would be in favor of a full on public smoking ban, which would ban smoking in all public spaces, including sidewalks, streets, parks, ect in addition to what is already typically covered. I would also examine limiting use within motor vehicles.
What you are saying might well be true. It is still an individual's right to do disgusting things if they choose. It is not inconsiderate if everyone knows that smoking is permitted some place. Then someone has a choice to make. They can choose to go there, or they can shop another place where the owner does not permit it. In West Virginia, about 30% of adults choose to do that disgusting thing and that is their right. It is improper to impose a Prohibition on them for making a choice that is perfectly socially acceptable for a large segment of the population. Big Brother does not always know best, sheeple effect not withstanding.

Old 05-09-2014, 02:56 AM

537 posts, read 958,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
It is still an individual's right to do disgusting things if they choose.
You sure about that?
'Cause I can think of a good number of disgusting things I'm not allowed to do in public.

Heck, some people might say that my wife and I making whoopee in the middle of a library isn't even all that disgusting... but we're still not allowed to do it.

And unlike smoking, that's not even a health hazard to others nearby.

I guess we're just sheeple for not doing it. Presumably you are too.

Old 05-09-2014, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunkydawg View Post
You sure about that?
'Cause I can think of a good number of disgusting things I'm not allowed to do in public.

Heck, some people might say that my wife and I making whoopee in the middle of a library isn't even all that disgusting... but we're still not allowed to do it.

And unlike smoking, that's not even a health hazard to others nearby.

I guess we're just sheeple for not doing it. Presumably you are too.
My point is, people have rights. You are correct in my behavior choices. 30% of the folks who use libraries don't make whoopee in libraries. And, libraries are public facilities. Businesses are not. It is not Big Brother's right to tell a business owner what he can allow in his business. Smoking has been a permitted activity for centuries, and many people avail themselves of the right to do so.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:31 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,149,512 times
This is a great move by Berkeley County. It is only a matter of time before almost all cities, counties and States move forward with this type of smoking ban.

It would have been nice to see Berkeley County pass the ban without the revision to exclude parking lots, sidewalks, public parks and golf courses. While I agree it would have been hard to enforce, it would still be nice to have the ban in place for when you need it.

Dauntless Dan, I agree with you about the issue of trash left behind by smokers.

Old 05-09-2014, 12:49 PM

16,671 posts, read 15,665,596 times
Well, I don't like these smoking laws. In this day and time, a restaurant would be foolish to try to operate while allowing smoking on the premises. No law needed. However, bars are a different matter. When these laws were put in place in Kanawha and Putnam counties, several drinking establishments closed down. I remember seeing one bar owner on TV saying that people used to come in to smoke cigarettes and drink beer all evening. After the smoking ban they had one quick beer and left. The bar closed. Everybody that went into those bars knew people smoked there. Big government passing more laws caused that business to close.

Not that it matters, but I quit smoking a while back. I just don't like those intrusive laws.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:26 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,238,078 times
I have to say I'm a bit surprised at all the things people can gripe about towards smokers, their litter is such a biggie. Most of the trash I see around town, is to-go food wrappings and paper cups. Maybe we should outlaw to-go food.?? I'd rather see a cig butt, than a burger wrapper on the ground.

And just remember, take away another groups rights, and something that you like may be taken next. I personally don't drink, I'd be happy if all alcohol was banned. Majority wins on this one though, but just imagine if it wasn't?

Smoking kills, blah, blah, blah. So does a drunk driver, an enraged drunk, or drinking too much. I'll take my chances with a smoker. But I just don't get how one bad habit can be accepted, while the one you don't partake in isn't.

Old 05-09-2014, 02:00 PM

16,671 posts, read 15,665,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeinmo. View Post
I have to say I'm a bit surprised at all the things people can gripe about towards smokers, their litter is such a biggie. Most of the trash I see around town, is to-go food wrappings and paper cups. Maybe we should outlaw to-go food.?? I'd rather see a cig butt, than a burger wrapper on the ground.

And just remember, take away another groups rights, and something that you like may be taken next. I personally don't drink, I'd be happy if all alcohol was banned. Majority wins on this one though, but just imagine if it wasn't?

Smoking kills, blah, blah, blah. So does a drunk driver, an enraged drunk, or drinking too much. I'll take my chances with a smoker. But I just don't get how one bad habit can be accepted, while the one you don't partake in isn't.
Good points.

Two things. First. They already tried banning alcohol. That didn't work out very well. Second, who gets to decide what will be banned next? Hey, I'd be OK if they banned McDonald's. Not everyone agrees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia