Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2014, 03:06 PM

46 posts, read 50,236 times

Advertisements

I have been living in Southern WV since 2008. I grew up here, but spent many years living in other states. While I love being back here, I find myself lamenting not having so many things to do to choose from as I did living elsewhere.

It occurred to me that there is likely many, many things to do here that I am unaware of. I have been so busy with school and work that I really haven't taken time to check out everything. I would love to take an opportunity to explore what is great about WV. This summer, instead of taking a vacation somewhere else, I want to take some day trips with my kids here in WV.

What does everyone here do for fun?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 06:05 PM

110 posts, read 224,405 times
What I would recommend depends upon the ages of your kids, your interests, and the amount of activity you want. There are lots of free/low cost things to do. A good start would be to look at the following sites:

1. For a free travel guide and schedules of activities related to
Parks and festivals
West Virginia Department of Commerce Fairs & Festivals

2. Tourist ideas
West Virginia Division of Tourism

Visit WV state parks - we have a great park system
Home Page - WV State Parks and Forest

4. CW battlefields
Civil War

5. Watch CW reenactments (major efforts going into the 150th ones)
Next weekend May 17 and 18
-150th of a major battle - New Market, VA
150th Reenactment Battle of New Market

Info about southern VA battles -- 2014 Programs - 1864 in the Valley / Civil War Sesquicentennial / Visit the Valley / Home - Shenandoah At War

153rd WV battles that I know of:
-Philippi - June 1 at 2 p.m. - not advertised but will take place
-Guyandotte (Huntington) - Oct 31-Nov. 2 Guyandotte Civil War Days

Old 05-10-2014, 07:55 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Today I went to Roller Derby. I understand there is a team in Beckley.

Attached Thumbnails
What do you like to get out and do?-2.jpg   What do you like to get out and do?-5.jpg  

Old 05-10-2014, 10:09 PM

HillsAndTrees:
Thank you for that list and those wonderful links! That will keep us busy for sure! I've never seen a Civil War reenactment in real life, but I bet it is amazing!

pknopp:
Roller Derby looks like a lot of fun! Beckley is not far from me. I will learn how to skate sometime. Looks like a fun way to exercise!

Old 05-11-2014, 07:27 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
The Kanawha Valley Roller Girls look pretty awesome too.

Old 05-11-2014, 02:34 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times
Get out and see different parts of the state. Visit Coopers Rock near Morgantown, and on the way see Seneca Rocks, Green Bank Observatory, and Elkins. They go to Wheeling and visit the amazing Oglebay Park with its zoo, museum, gardens, and outstanding grounds, then to go Center Market and have a Coleman's fish sandwich. Go to the Eastern Panhandle for the wonderful historic attractions at Harpers Ferry and Shepherdstown. Finally, go to Parkersburg and take a boat ride to Blennerhasset Island.

If you are the active sort, you can rock climb at Seneca or Coopers Rock, and whitewater raft on the Cheat, Gauley and New Rivers, wander the outstanding hiking/biking trails in North Central West Virginia, stay at the several state parks, and eat at restaurants with an incredible variety of offerings.

There is no need to stay stuck in the mountaintop removal doldrums of southern West Virginia. There are still awesome venues to see here, festivals galore, and activities of every sort.

Last edited by CTMountaineer; 05-11-2014 at 03:55 PM..

Old 05-12-2014, 06:34 AM

CTMountaineer:
Thank you for those wonderful ideas. They are exactly the type of things I have wanted to do with my kids! I will definitely work on that list this summer!

Old 05-12-2014, 07:05 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cemsmom View Post
I have been living in Southern WV since 2008. I grew up here, but spent many years living in other states. While I love being back here, I find myself lamenting not having so many things to do to choose from as I did living elsewhere.

It occurred to me that there is likely many, many things to do here that I am unaware of. I have been so busy with school and work that I really haven't taken time to check out everything. I would love to take an opportunity to explore what is great about WV. This summer, instead of taking a vacation somewhere else, I want to take some day trips with my kids here in WV.

What does everyone here do for fun?
Here's the link to the state Tourism Office web site. I'll bet you can find an activity for you and your kids within an hour drive for every week of the summer.

Old 05-12-2014, 11:32 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,236,690 times
As CT mentioned, there are festivals galore. They usually have a theme, often a food ( buckwheat, strawberry, chocolate, ramps, roadkill) or an ethnicity (Italian, German, Irish, etc.).

In Marlinton, they've restored the Pocahontas Opera House. Once or twice a month there are concerts/musical acts booked. In the past few years, we've seen the West Virginia Jazz Orchestra and a musical based on the songs of Neil Sedaka (Breakin' Up Is Hard To Do).

Train rides are great any time, but special trains are even better. The Cass Railroad has both dinner trains and a murder mystery train. And the West Virginia Central runs dinner trains, a blues special, and several others from the restored depot in Elkins.

Sometimes the simple things are the best. During a recent stay at Lost River State Park, we played Bingo in the local fire hall and ate dinner one Sunday at a church Chicken Pot Pie meal.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:42 PM

Thanks so much mensaguy for the state tourism link and snorpus for the info on festivals, railroads, the opera house, and parks. I did not know that Pocahontas County has an Opera House. We will definitely have to check that out. Bingo in the fire hall sounds fantastic too!

Someone at work mentioned today that she went zip-lining in Beckley at ACE Adventure Resort and loved it. I just looked up the website, and it looks like they have tons of stuff to do. Here is the website: White Water Rafting West Virginia with ACE Adventure Resort

I think that I will share anything interesting I find here too. Everyone please feel free to keep posting ideas if you think of things. I really want to keep my tourism dollars here in WV this summer. (Well, I will be spending some in NC next month when my sister gets married there.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia