Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2015, 10:02 AM

4,081 posts, read 3,605,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantan1968 View Post
In the event Cabela's or Bass Pro does open in Martinsburg hopefully they will market it to the entire four state and not just Martinsburg. Amazing how so many up and down 81 know so little about their own backyard. Recently in Winchester the Apple Blossom Firemans parade was aired on local TV and the anchors from what I was told were Rona & Marc Richards from Martinsburg's WLTF 97.5 FM. On the Winchester Facebook page many had made comments that they had never heard of WLTF. Helloooooooooo !!
If a Cabela's does come to the Four State (which I imagine they will at some point), I'm sure they'll market it to the Four State. Between Winchester, Martinsburg, Winchester, and Chambersburg, the Four State area probably has 400,000-500,000 people (and that number is expected to continue to grow).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 05:02 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,511,546 times
This isn't in Martinsburg, but Cabela's announced back in November that they are opening a store in Gainesville, VA. This is approximately 70 miles from Martinsburg. With a Cabela's location being much closer, it's slightly less likely they might locate here.

Press Release - New Gainesville, VA : Cabela's

Old 06-03-2015, 10:39 AM

19,517 posts, read 9,540,055 times
Wasn't construction supposed to start back up - or is that mid-late June?

Old 06-03-2015, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
Wasn't construction supposed to start back up - or is that mid-late June?
I drove past that area today and noticed that there is now construction equipment and a trailer on the site. It looks like construction will commence hopefully very soon.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:33 PM

Hopefully the Herald-Mail gets some information soon. Paramount seems to be pretty tight-lipped regarding tenant names.

Old 06-05-2015, 02:42 PM

Default Construction Update

As of today, site work is finally starting to happen. It looks like they are digging to install underground infrastructure (piping, electric, stormwater, etc).

Old 06-10-2015, 09:09 AM

I drove by yesterday, and the hotel next to the Commons is really coming along. It's huge!

Old 06-12-2015, 04:55 PM

68 posts, read 116,690 times
I actually feel like the Hilton at the Commons is kind of small. I guess it's adequate for Martinsburg, probably more than adequate, but compared to the Courtyard in Hagerstown and several in Winchester I feel like the Martinsburg hotel is a baby.

I've noticed that they seem to be hard at work on the four pads where Sears used to be. Doesn't look like it's one of the restaurants going in though, it looks to be the northwestern one, which I believe was a retail site if I remember correctly. I'm going to be disappointed if the first thing to go up is a Mattress Warehouse. Isn't there a mattress store of some sort up at the Commons? Retail can't get much more boring than that.

There were rumors about Panera coming, which I feel is probably a safe bet. Longhorn doesn't seem too much of a stretch either, but I don't think Red Robin is something Martinsburg would get. I feel like Winchester would get a Red Robin before Martinsburg would, and there's still not a Red Robin in Winchester.

One of the employees at the Starbucks in Martins said that there might be a Starbucks coming to one of these new sites opening up, specifically one with a drive-thru like at one end of the Shoppes. I feel like Starbucks is a retail staple and is one of those businesses that others probably look for in order to judge the commercial potential of an area. "Oh, they don't have a Starbucks? Let's pass on Martinsburg for now, but keep an eye on them."

It kind of blows my mind that they keep building all these new retail spaces when I feel like there are still SO MANY empty storefronts in and around the mall. There's still several gaps over at the Commons where stores could go, several in the strips surrounding Outback, and of course there's mostly empty space around Buffalo Wild Wings. Seems kind of unnecessary to keep building more retail space when we can't even fill up the retail space we have. It's almost like the City of Martinsburg keeps building retail space hoping that they'll luck into getting a lease with a retailer or restaurant that makes all the other good stuff come flooding in behind it.

The Shoppes at Foxcroft are also coming along nicely. Again, I feel like it's likely if Starbucks (a real one) comes to Martinsburg, they'd probably take the end unit with a drive-thru since Starbucks drive-thrus have been such a hit. Panda Express might be a good there too, especially since Martinsburg doesn't really have any of the big national chains when it comes to ethnic food, except maybe Olive Garden. I'd like to see a Carabas in Martinsburg or a Red Lobster, and I'd even take a California Pizza Kitchen. Or in a perfect world we'd get a Cheesecake Factory, but I know that's just wishful thinking.

I'm really, really glad that a Cabelas or Bass didn't take up all that retail space. No offense to those who like those stores, but I feel like that's too niche for the Martinsburg market. As they said, the new retail spaces need to appeal to younger crowd; not necessary just teenagers, but also young adults and young couples who are traveling to other cities when they want to shop or go out to dinner. When teens, young adults, and young families can start staying in their hometown when they want to plan an evening out, I'd say the City of Martinsburg can pat itself on the back. With the Commons bringing in Target, Ledo, Books-A-Million, Bed Bath & Beyond, and Best Buy, that was definitely a step in a very right direction, but we're just not quite there yet.

Last edited by daneoleary; 06-12-2015 at 05:52 PM..

Old 06-12-2015, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneoleary View Post
I actually feel like the Hilton at the Commons is kind of small. I guess it's adequate for Martinsburg, probably more than adequate, but compared to the Courtyard in Hagerstown and several in Winchester I feel like the Martinsburg hotel is a baby.

I've noticed that they seem to be hard at work on the four pads where Sears used to be. Doesn't look like it's one of the restaurants going in though, it looks to be the northwestern one, which I believe was a retail site if I remember correctly. I'm going to be disappointed if the first thing to go up is a Mattress Warehouse. Isn't there a mattress store of some sort up at the Commons? Retail can't get much more boring than that.

There were rumors about Panera coming, which I feel is probably a safe bet. Longhorn doesn't seem too much of a stretch either, but I don't think Red Robin is something Martinsburg would get. I feel like Winchester would get a Red Robin before Martinsburg would, and there's still not a Red Robin in Winchester.

One of the employees at the Starbucks in Martins said that there might be a Starbucks coming to one of these new sites opening up, specifically one with a drive-thru like at one end of the Shoppes. I feel like Starbucks is a retail staple and is one of those businesses that others probably look for in order to judge the commercial potential of an area. "Oh, they don't have a Starbucks? Let's pass on Martinsburg for now, but keep an eye on them."

It kind of blows my mind that they keep building all these new retail spaces when I feel like there are still SO MANY empty storefronts in and around the mall. There's still several gaps over at the Commons where stores could go, several in the strips surrounding Outback, and of course there's mostly empty space around Buffalo Wild Wings. Seems kind of unnecessary to keep building more retail space when we can't even fill up the retail space we have. It's almost like the City of Martinsburg keeps building retail space hoping that they'll luck into getting a lease with a retailer or restaurant that makes all the other good stuff come flooding in behind it.

The Shoppes at Foxcroft are also coming along nicely. Again, I feel like it's likely if Starbucks (a real one) comes to Martinsburg, they'd probably take the end unit with a drive-thru since Starbucks drive-thrus have been such a hit. Panda Express might be a good there too, especially since Martinsburg doesn't really have any of the big national chains when it comes to ethnic food, except maybe Olive Garden. I'd like to see a Carabas in Martinsburg or a Red Lobster, and I'd even take a California Pizza Kitchen. Or in a perfect world we'd get a Cheesecake Factory, but I know that's just wishful thinking.

I'm really, really glad that a Cabelas or Bass didn't take up all that retail space. No offense to those who like those stores, but I feel like that's too niche for the Martinsburg market. As they said, the new retail spaces need to appeal to younger crowd; not necessary just teenagers, but also young adults and young couples who are traveling to other cities when they want to shop or go out to dinner. When teens, young adults, and young families can start staying in their hometown when they want to plan an evening out, I'd say the City of Martinsburg can pat itself on the back. With the Commons bringing in Target, Ledo, Books-A-Million, Bed Bath & Beyond, and Best Buy, that was definitely a step in a very right direction, but we're just not quite there yet.
I like and agree with a lot of your points, daneoleary. It does seem odd to me as well that there is new construction everywhere, but still vacant space everywhere. Even though I'd argue Foxcroft is 'the golden mile" of Martinsburg, there are still TONS of vacant places when you look closely. I guess tenants are preferring new construction over taking existing spaces?

I find the possibility of a Starbucks at the mall interesting. I would welcome it, because I have always felt Martinsburg could use a corporate-run, drive-thru Starbucks. If this does happen though, the south side of Martinsburg will have 3 Starbucks within a mile of each other (even though 2 of them are licensed locations). I'm not complaining I really like Starbucks, but it would be great to see a location on the north end, perhaps on Edwin Miller near 81.

I DEFINITELY agree with you on Mattress Warehouse. When I read the Herald-Mail article I literally face-palmed myself. Sure, business is better than no business. But...another mattress place? I feel like it's a waste of a perfectly good opportunity for a more unique tenant. In addition, they are relocating from North Mall Plaza, so that leaves ANOTHER empty storefront. If I were Paramount, I would have saved Hopefully this isn't a sign of what the other tenants will be. All we need is another project full of what I call "repeats", chains or businesses we already have more than enough of locally (i.e. cell phone stores, hair salons, vape/herb stores, etc.). ALSO, the northwest pad has the most I-81 visibility. I seriously hope they aren't giving all of that frontage to Mattress Warehouse. To me the restaurants should be on the end closest to I-81, but again...if I were Paramount. And perhaps that is the case, only time will tell.

I am very hopeful for The Shoppes at Foxcroft. Chipotle and Panda Express will make excellent end caps. Construction is moving along very quickly, as well.

Old 06-12-2015, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneoleary View Post

Maybe the Hilton near The Commons just seems small because the Homewood Suites by Hilton (in Hagerstown) is massive. Hilton Garden Inn is positioned like Springhill Suites in the Marriott chain, so it's always going to be a cookie cutter, rectangular hotel. It looks impressive from I-81 because it is on a hill (which will also help visibility), so that's a good thing. I'm most interested in the restaurant lot that is in the plan. The Commons plan seems to be short on outlots (only two were created, both of which are now developed), so a restaurant on the Hilton outlot will be a welcome addition.

I agree that mattress stores are boring, and they really have no place in a mall. Enclosed malls are almost specifically about retail, and I would consider a mattress store more of a "service" (they bring a mattress to your home and take the old one away). Either Paramount couldn't find any other tenants and had to scrape the bottom of the barrel, or they're planning a mixed-use "lifestyle center" that combines entertainment, dining, retail, and services. I would not be surprised if Paramount eventually tears out the middle of the existing mall to create an open-air lifestyle center. The lack of new retail in the enclosed portion leads me to believe that it will not be long for this world. It makes sense to move into that direction though, as small retail has always been the mall's Achille's heel. Completely redoing it in a more modern interpretation of a "one stop shop" could entice new small retailers.

As for the restaurants, I'm still also betting on Panera and Longhorn, as Panera is extremely popular right now, and Darden (parent company of Longhorn) recently built the new Olive Garden not far away. Red Robin may not be as big of a stretch as you think. Red Robin opened in the Valley Mall a few years ago, and one recently opened on an outlot of Francis Scott Key Mall in Frederick. Chambersburg also has a Red Robin, and is somewhat similar to Martinsburg in size, so population may not be a hurdle.

I hope you stick around as we discuss there developments in more detail as they progress!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia