Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2015, 07:35 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,510,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneoleary View Post
So 20 percent will be two new restaurant chains while the remaining 80 percent of the "Shoppes" is going to be for medical care? Yes, that's incredibly disappointing. They should rename the Shoppes to something else since there will be food and medical care, but no actual shoppes there.

What a waste of promising retail space...
As well as no real benefit to the local economy. This medical center, from what I understand, is just a relocation from another part of Martinsburg. How do we gain from this pattern of relocations economically. The space could have been opened to up to three other tenants each with a diverse offering thus more draw. Nothing against the medical supply store, as their services are very important and will help a lot of people, but this center could have been a lot better. At least it's not another mattress store. I think I literally would have thrown my laptop if it was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 10:35 PM

862 posts, read 1,196,822 times
Quote:
So 20 percent will be two new restaurant chains while the remaining 80 percent of the "Shoppes" is going to be for medical care? Yes, that's incredibly disappointing. They should rename the Shoppes to something else since there will be food and medical care, but no actual shoppes there.

What a waste of promising retail space...
I know this thread is about Martinsburg but considering that Front Royal, VA isn't too far from Berkeley County this sounds a LOT like back in the 70s with "The Mall in Front Royal". Billboards up and down I-66 and I-81 as far south and east as Harrisonburg & Manassas telling people to check out this "The Mall in Front Royal". Oh the disappointment !! "The Mall in Front Royal" was nothing more than an old building on Front Royal's Main Street with just ONE store called "The Wakefield Shop". Unless one had kids who had attended Wakefield Country Day School why bother ?? Oh the other tenants were offices mainly for Warren County. Unless one lived in Warren County..again why would someone say from Winchester or even Martinsburg would bother ?? "The Mall in Front Royal" didn't last 6 months.

I am sure that "The Shoppes at Foxcroft" will be more successful than that so-called "mall" in Front Royal was.

Old 07-01-2015, 01:17 PM

308 posts, read 799,083 times
past by "THE SHOPPES" yesterday,sign out front from Panda Express,looking for managers.

Old 07-02-2015, 10:55 AM

68 posts, read 116,634 times
I understand that they were probably desperate to make sure this new plaza was filled up and the fact that a single tenant was committing to THREE retail spaces was enticing, but this was very inconsiderate to the patrons of Foxcroft avenue. And you can tell this wasn't planned initially as the very name of this strip suggests that it was meant to be filled with actual mainstream retail. That's just my interpretation based on the facts. I guess capitalism wins again.

I would've preferred the place to remain half empty for the first year while the secured more promising tenants rather than having a medical facility move across town to essentially waste prime retail space in the main retail thoroughfare in Martinsburg, which is the wrong place for something like that anyway I'd say.

Old 07-03-2015, 10:47 AM

4,081 posts, read 3,604,520 times
Quote:
I understand that they were probably desperate to make sure this new plaza was filled up and the fact that a single tenant was committing to THREE retail spaces was enticing, but this was very inconsiderate to the patrons of Foxcroft avenue. And you can tell this wasn't planned initially as the very name of this strip suggests that it was meant to be filled with actual mainstream retail. That's just my interpretation based on the facts. I guess capitalism wins again.

I would've preferred the place to remain half empty for the first year while the secured more promising tenants rather than having a medical facility move across town to essentially waste prime retail space in the main retail thoroughfare in Martinsburg, which is the wrong place for something like that anyway I'd say.
I never thought about it that way, but you bring up a good point. "Shoppes at Foxcroft" implies something different than what will actually be there. This is just a theory, but maybe the new Weis Plaza is poaching more tenants than we originally thought. The location is just so much better.

Old 07-04-2015, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
I never thought about it that way, but you bring up a good point. "Shoppes at Foxcroft" implies something different than what will actually be there. This is just a theory, but maybe the new Weis Plaza is poaching more tenants than we originally thought. The location is just so much better.
I really hope that's the case, but seeing as the Weis Plaza hasn't even broken ground yet I wouldn't imagine that they're able to get too many promising businesses to pre-lease pads that probably won't be built or ready for tenants until 2017.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:16 AM

Default Mall Tenants!

Panera Bread and Chili's are coming to the pad sites at the Martinsburg Mall!

Effective October 1st, the Martinsburg Mall will be rebranded as "Foxcroft Towne Center".

Leases signed to bring Chili's, Panera Bread to Martinsburg - Herald Mail Media: West Virginia

Old 07-06-2015, 10:04 AM

Here is The Journal's article about the new information. Included is also a rendering of what the new pylon sign along I-81 will look like, as well as an updated site plan. The sign is expected to be constructed by October.

Mall to change name, add Panera Bread, Chili's - Journal News | News, sports, jobs, community information for Martinsburg - The Journal

Old 07-06-2015, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmccul View Post
Here is The Journal's article about the new information. Included is also a rendering of what the new pylon sign along I-81 will look like, as well as an updated site plan. The sign is expected to be constructed by October.

Mall to change name, add Panera Bread, Chili's - Journal News | News, sports, jobs, community information for Martinsburg - The Journal
I think I like these changes. I really like the idea of it being a "town center" rather than the mall. At this point, the mall's reputation has fallen to an unredeemable low, so deciding to essentially restructure the place is the best plan, symbolized by the name change and new signing. Chili's and Panera were pretty much expected. I feel like Panda Express was the most unexpected business that's coming to Foxcroft, so hopefully there will be a surprise or two in store for us in the remaining pad sites. Pleasant surprises, that is.

Old 07-06-2015, 05:59 PM

4,081 posts, read 3,604,520 times
I'm not really shocked by the new tenant names either. However, it's kind of strange that they're waiting so long to start construction.

I'm most interested in the prospect of phase II of redevelopment. I wonder if they'll end up tearing out all of the interior inline space in that phase? There are a few out lots at the rear of the property, so maybe that is what phase II will be about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia