U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-15-2014, 08:20 AM
 
4,010 posts, read 2,459,203 times
Reputation: 1174

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmccul View Post
Redevelopment of property could help fill Martinsburg's financial hole - Herald Mail Media: West Virginia

Above is the link to the article you mentioned. I agree, spring 2015 is a long time for them just to have the sites ready. I initially expected them to at least be almost finished construction of the already-signed businesses by then. Oh well, good things come to those who wait.

An official said a new standalone restaurant planned for there alone could net up to $15,000 in taxes for the city, and maybe pull from other restaurants...WOW I wonder what that chain that is going to be. I don't know how those numbers compare to average for a restaurant (perhaps someone else could answer that) but it sounds like a big deal to me.

Someone else in the article mentioned they need more kids in the mall. Umm…sure as long as they are well-mannered kids. One of the main complaints I've had a couple of times with the Valley Mall is the abundance of trouble-making kids running around. I've been in there a couple of times where multiple security officers had to be called in to control rowdy groups of teens. Also, Martinsburg Mall used to have a problem with kids skipping school at nearby Martinsburg High and South Middle causing trouble in the mall. In fact at one point they didn't allow anyone 18 and under to enter the mall without adult supervision during school hours. I agree we definitely need stores for the young demographic (Hollister and Abercrombie would really pull from other areas, there are currently 0 Abercrombie stores in WV and the closest to Martinsburg is Dulles Town Center) but we also need some stores that would attract other demographics as well.

I think a Charming Charlie store would do well here as long as it has an exterior storefront. I know a couple of ladies who shop there, closest location is in Leesburg. Unfortunately, its the worst nightmare imaginable for us guys (haha), but the ladies love it. It's elaborate clothing and accessories but reasonably priced. I will admit it is kind of cool because the entire store is divided by color. For instance, all red clothing and jewelry is in one corner, yellow in another section, so on and so forth throughout the store. It's different and innovative, nobody else in the four-state has it, and although like I said it is a guy's worst nightmare, I'd like to see it come for the female demographic.

What's New Trend | Jewelry, Dresses, Clothing & Color | charming charlie

For us guys, Jos. A. Bank is decent, as well as Men's Warehouse and Brooks Brothers. -mmccul





-mmccul
I've always heard, at least from borough government officials in Chambersburg, that restaurants bring in very little revenue to the borough. It was in a PDF, Q&A type of thing. Maybe they were comparing it to residential development, I have no idea. Although, restaurants to attract highway travelers and retain shoppers, that's indisputable. It's a win-win for Martinsburg considering Sears, as a company, will probably leave many open storefronts in malls.

I found the "we need kids" comment a little strange too. Maybe he was saying that the mall needs some trendier, younger stores, but it came out in the form of the "we need kids" comment. Bad stores will absolutely kill a mall. Chambersburg mall has had one foot in the grave for years. Coupled with its odd location in the country, it's a laughingstock. Restaurants won't build on the mall's pad lots because Greene Township is dry (PA needs liquor reform NOW).

I think there's hope left for Martinsburg Mall. The location is excellent, there are great restaurants around (and more to come), and Wal-Mart surely brings plenty of foot traffic to the general area. Post-recession, I'm sure most malls are having trouble finding quality tenants. With a little time, I'm sure Martinsburg Mall will be in better shape.

It's funny that you mentioned Charming Charlie's, the women is my family act like that place is Shangri-La! It would definitely bring women from the four state to Martinsburg Mall!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-15-2014, 08:35 AM
 
4,010 posts, read 2,459,203 times
Reputation: 1174
My guesses for tenants:



In the cluster of four buildings:

Top left- A woman's clothing retailer, like Dress Barn, Cato, Lane Bryant, etc.

Top right- Something for younger people, like Rue 21.

Bottoms left- TGI Friday's

Bottoms right- Longhorn Steakhouse (Olive Garden and Longhorn are usually grouped together)

For the two other buildings:

Smaller, top building- I'm thinking something like Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, or T-Mobile

Larger, bottoms building- That looks like a Panera Bread. Look at an aerial view of the Chambersburg location, it's a similar shape and size. You can see a drive-through lane as well, something that most Panera Bread locations have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2014, 06:49 PM
 
4,010 posts, read 2,459,203 times
Reputation: 1174
The Herald-Mail had another article about the project today:

Martinsburg Mall owners say enclosed retail center was too large for market - Herald Mail Media: West Virginia

Half of the proposed buildings have been leased, so that's a good thing. The statement about the mall being too large is kind of odd. Of course it would be hard to find a direct successor for the Sears space, department stores in the mall format are a dying breed. The mall doesn't seem too large, it's just an older style shopping center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2014, 03:32 PM
 
Location: Martinsburg, West Virginia
985 posts, read 1,659,136 times
Reputation: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
The Herald-Mail had another article about the project today:

Martinsburg Mall owners say enclosed retail center was too large for market - Herald Mail Media: West Virginia

Half of the proposed buildings have been leased, so that's a good thing. The statement about the mall being too large is kind of odd. Of course it would be hard to find a direct successor for the Sears space, department stores in the mall format are a dying breed. The mall doesn't seem too large, it's just an older style shopping center.
I find the "too large" statements peculiar also. Even if the mall had been constructed with half of that retail space, it still wouldn't have attracted the big names like other area malls. If anything, I feel as though it would be less marketable to retailers because of the limited space. So are they implying that they are considering tearing down more space? Hopefully not, I'm an advocate for using existing space whenever possible. On the other hand, part of me would like to maybe see more parts of the mall be redeveloped completely. Again, I like the mixed-use/town center idea and concept. I have seen many examples of successful centers revolved around the "town center" concept. -mmccul
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2014, 11:44 AM
 
Location: EPWV
9,863 posts, read 5,777,142 times
Reputation: 11295
How about a Town Center dressed up to look like a mall or is it a mall dressed to look like a town center?

The Dulles Town Center is physically an indoor shopping experience but the fact that they call it a town center vice Dulles Mall say anything? Hmm, did I word that correctly? As often as we've been there (mostly on a Saturday), I have yet to see it with hardly anyone around. It always seems so busy.

Hopefully these new changes will bring more people and with that more $$$ to this area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2014, 04:55 PM
 
4,010 posts, read 2,459,203 times
Reputation: 1174
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmccul View Post
I find the "too large" statements peculiar also. Even if the mall had been constructed with half of that retail space, it still wouldn't have attracted the big names like other area malls. If anything, I feel as though it would be less marketable to retailers because of the limited space. So are they implying that they are considering tearing down more space? Hopefully not, I'm an advocate for using existing space whenever possible. On the other hand, part of me would like to maybe see more parts of the mall be redeveloped completely. Again, I like the mixed-use/town center idea and concept. I have seen many examples of successful centers revolved around the "town center" concept. -mmccul
If they were going to tear it down, it would probably take a while to "empty" the mall. Anchor stores usually lease their buildings for longer increments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2014, 02:50 PM
 
Location: Martinsburg, West Virginia
985 posts, read 1,659,136 times
Reputation: 346
Default Shoppes at Foxcroft

This is not at the Martinsburg Mall, but at the recently closed Texas Steakhouse & Saloon located within sight of the mall:

Segall Group, a commercial real estate company, has plans to transform the former abandoned restaurant into five commercial spaces, tentatively named Shoppes at Foxcroft. The spaces on the ends appear to be geared more towards restaurant/cafe space, with outdoor patios. Tenant one has a drive through. The brochure says the building will be ready Summer 2015. It is unclear whether this will be a new construction or if they will be using the existing building. Below are a few links:

Segall Brochure:

http://www.segallgroup.com/media/pro...t_brochure.pdf

Cityfeet.com Information:

927 Foxcroft Avenue, Martinsburg, WV 25401 - Retail For Lease on Cityfeet.com

-mmccul

Last edited by mmccul; 12-13-2014 at 03:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2014, 06:49 PM
 
4,010 posts, read 2,459,203 times
Reputation: 1174
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmccul View Post
This is not at the Martinsburg Mall, but at the recently closed Texas Steakhouse & Saloon located within sight of the mall:

Segall Group, a commercial real estate company, has plans to transform the former abandoned restaurant into five commercial spaces, tentatively named Shoppes at Foxcroft. The spaces on the ends appear to be geared more towards restaurant/cafe space, with outdoor patios. Tenant one has a drive through. The brochure says the building will be ready Summer 2015. It is unclear whether this will be a new construction or if they will be using the existing building. Below are a few links:

Segall Brochure:

http://www.segallgroup.com/media/pro...t_brochure.pdf

Cityfeet.com Information:

927 Foxcroft Avenue, Martinsburg, WV 25401 - Retail For Lease on Cityfeet.com

-mmccul
That's really neat imaging software!

It looks like the existing building will be demolished. It's in a good location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2014, 01:01 AM
 
495 posts, read 735,145 times
Reputation: 406
"Shoppes"?? What that tells me is that they think we're rubes easily swayed by pretention.

Or maybe I'm reading too much into it. :-P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2014, 07:26 AM
 
4,010 posts, read 2,459,203 times
Reputation: 1174
Has anyone heard what stores and restaurants will sit where the old Sears was? I've been waiting for an article about future tenants for a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top