Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2023, 02:18 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/eKZ8iCzCvfwf

I was just viewing this....what's the plan to revive the downtown with that 18 million dollar injection?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2023, 01:48 PM

286 posts, read 348,119 times
Link doesn’t work

Old 09-12-2023, 07:35 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,691,854 times
The main road into Wheeling after coming through the tunnel has needed repaved for 40 years. The gateway into the city has been Swiss cheese for generations. Boggling. Maybe the people in charge will finally wake up and repave it.

Old 09-25-2023, 02:13 AM

56 posts, read 66,149 times
Just returned from a visit to Wheeling for a sporting event. We stayed overnight at the Highlands, done a little shopping/dining on our trip. Overall, i have to say that Wheeling is a pretty interesting place to visit. My son pointed out the difference in architecture, compared to WV cities in the southern part of the state. More Victorian homes and a lot more turn of the 20th century buildings.

I'll be back in December for another sports related trip and will likely stay at the Highlands again.

Old 09-25-2023, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaysValleyWV View Post
Just returned from a visit to Wheeling for a sporting event. We stayed overnight at the Highlands, done a little shopping/dining on our trip. Overall, i have to say that Wheeling is a pretty interesting place to visit. My son pointed out the difference in architecture, compared to WV cities in the southern part of the state. More Victorian homes and a lot more turn of the 20th century buildings.

I'll be back in December for another sports related trip and will likely stay at the Highlands again.
You have to go to the Victoria Theater Christmas Show if you can make it. You'll thank me. It's held in the oldest theater in WV (1904). Hank Williams (the original) played there.

Old 09-27-2023, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svband76 View Post
You have to go to the Victoria Theater Christmas Show if you can make it. You'll thank me. It's held in the oldest theater in WV (1904). Hank Williams (the original) played there.
What do you recommend in Wheeling as far as attractions go on December 8-10? Thanks.

Old 09-27-2023, 06:46 AM

85 posts, read 83,052 times
Quote:
What do you recommend in Wheeling as far as attractions go on December 8-10? Thanks.
You might take in a hockey game if you like the sport or just to try something new if you don't. The Wheeling Nailers play the 9th and 10th that month. The 9th is a giveaway night and they're doing their charities/Teddy Bear Toss that night (first goal fans throw out a new stuffed animal out onto the ice for them to donate, pretty neat seeing all the toys fly out onto the ice) as well. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy all levels of hockey but still prefer the minors like they are as to me it's the closest you're ever going to get to the old time hockey feel.

Old 09-28-2023, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellic View Post
You might take in a hockey game if you like the sport or just to try something new if you don't. The Wheeling Nailers play the 9th and 10th that month. The 9th is a giveaway night and they're doing their charities/Teddy Bear Toss that night (first goal fans throw out a new stuffed animal out onto the ice for them to donate, pretty neat seeing all the toys fly out onto the ice) as well. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy all levels of hockey but still prefer the minors like they are as to me it's the closest you're ever going to get to the old time hockey feel.
I went to a fight one time, and a hockey game broke out.

But seriously, thanks for the info. I really might check out a Nailers game in Dec.

Old 10-02-2023, 10:33 AM

Quote:
I went to a fight one time, and a hockey game broke out.

But seriously, thanks for the info. I really might check out a Nailers game in Dec.
Make the short drive to Moundsville too. The penitentiary tour is great. Center Market shops in Wheeling are great too. Most close way too early though (4 pm) so budget your time. Coleman's Fish Market. All the typical places. There's a super cool wine place etc in Wheeling, Mansion Wines. Pricey but in the neatest old house ever. https://goodmansionwines.com/ there is the Oglebay Park holiday lights too..

Old 10-03-2023, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svband76 View Post
Make the short drive to Moundsville too. The penitentiary tour is great. Center Market shops in Wheeling are great too. Most close way too early though (4 pm) so budget your time. Coleman's Fish Market. All the typical places. There's a super cool wine place etc in Wheeling, Mansion Wines. Pricey but in the neatest old house ever. https://goodmansionwines.com/ there is the Oglebay Park holiday lights too..
Thanks for the info
I drove up to the penitentiary last weekend coming back from Wheeling with the family, we decided to drive route 2. I bet a tour would be a lot of fun for the kids. They were amazed at it's size and how it resembles a castle.
We will likely visit Oglebay for the lights in Dec.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia