U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-08-2014, 12:36 PM
 
Location: Martinsburg, West Virginia
985 posts, read 1,658,509 times
Reputation: 346

Advertisements

The Martinsburg Mall is undergoing a major redevelopment. This includes the demolition of a deserted Sears department store and creating four pad sites for restaurants and stores. Additionally, two other pad sites will be available in the southwest parking lot of the Mall (near Olive Garden).

According to the news release, some of these sites have already been leased. There is a rumor that one of these sites will be Panera Bread. Also, there is speculation that this project is only Phase 1 of a larger project intended to completely redesign, upgrade and add more businesses to the entire mall property.

This thread derives from an old thread "Martinsburg Mall - Depressing" and is intended to openly discuss news releases, construction updates and even hearsay about the project and its details. -mmccul

Demolition of old Sears store under way at Martinsburg Mall - Herald Mail Media: West Virginia
Attached Thumbnails
Martinsburg Mall Redevelopment Project-mallredevelopment.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-08-2014, 01:18 PM
 
4,008 posts, read 2,457,973 times
Reputation: 1174
Very exciting!

First off, I'll introduce myself. I live in Chambersburg, Pennsylvania. I love to look at this West Virginia forum because it is so active and full of growth and development threads. City-data doesn't have a South Central Pennsylvania sub-forum, so there's really no "four state region" chat. Contrary to popular belief, people in Franklin County don't identity themselves as residents of the Harrisburg suburbs, we're more loyal to the four state region itself.

As for the mall redevelopment, it sounds like a great opportunity for the area! The more "Main Street" style centers are becoming popular, and it looks like that's what the West side of your mall will have. Someone in another thread mentioned that they want to see a Longhorn Steakhouse, and I'm sure that's a possibility! Olive Garden and Longhorn seem to pair well together. In Chambersburg, we got both in the same plaza. The lower two buildings in the cluster of four look to be about the size and shape of Longhorn, and Darden sees Longhorn as their growth brand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2014, 01:40 PM
 
Location: Leesburg, VA
525 posts, read 759,966 times
Reputation: 392
Default Chambersburg Mall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
Very exciting!

First off, I'll introduce myself. I live in Chambersburg, Pennsylvania. I love to look at this West Virginia forum because it is so active and full of growth and development threads. City-data doesn't have a South Central Pennsylvania sub-forum, so there's really no "four state region" chat. Contrary to popular belief, people in Franklin County don't identity themselves as residents of the Harrisburg suburbs, we're more loyal to the four state region itself.

As for the mall redevelopment, it sounds like a great opportunity for the area! The more "Main Street" style centers are becoming popular, and it looks like that's what the West side of your mall will have. Someone in another thread mentioned that they want to see a Longhorn Steakhouse, and I'm sure that's a possibility! Olive Garden and Longhorn seem to pair well together. In Chambersburg, we got both in the same plaza. The lower two buildings in the cluster of four look to be about the size and shape of Longhorn, and Darden sees Longhorn as their growth brand.
How is the Chambersburg Mall doing? I haven't been that direction in a long long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2014, 01:51 PM
 
4,008 posts, read 2,457,973 times
Reputation: 1174
Quote:
Originally Posted by venture2000 View Post
How is the Chambersburg Mall doing? I haven't been that direction in a long long time.
Not well, not well at all. It was sold this fall for $8.8 million. I'm willing to bet that the land alone is worth nearly that much (the exit was rebuilt and improved a few years ago). PREIT owned it, and they sold it to some independent investors. If PREIT wasn't willing to devote any money to it (they own and renovated Valley Mall in Hagerstown), how are independent investors going to make a go of it? Here's a link to the Public Opinion's article: Chambersburg Mall sold for $8.8M - Chambersburg Public Opinion

We did get a Books-a-Million in the mall, but it's pretty small. Everyone in town shops elsewhere. The mall has become a "look for dress pants for a funeral" kind of place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2014, 04:18 PM
 
32 posts, read 85,240 times
Reputation: 14
Good grief another Panera...there is one ten miles away in Ranson plus one in WInchester and Hagerstown. THat is FAR too many of them for the area. They should put something in that is not in Ranson at all so as to distribute the people to both locales.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2014, 09:15 AM
 
Location: In the woods
3,314 posts, read 8,509,905 times
Reputation: 1506
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvaspartan View Post
Good grief another Panera...there is one ten miles away in Ranson plus one in WInchester and Hagerstown. THat is FAR too many of them for the area. They should put something in that is not in Ranson at all so as to distribute the people to both locales.
Not really. The Panera in Winchester is used for several things besides dining. People conduct meetings in there (i.e., organizations and clubs, etc.), university students meet there as study and discussion groups, and there are always tons of people in there working on laptops. When Borders Books closed a few years back, that left very few places in Winchester as far as the coffee-shop environment where people gather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2014, 06:40 PM
 
Location: Charles Town, WV
33 posts, read 85,829 times
Reputation: 24
I'm curious how a Longhorn Steakhouse would fair in that location. There is a Logan's just on top of the hill and I think a Texas Steakhouse closed down not too far from this proposed area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2014, 07:40 PM
 
Location: Martinsburg, West Virginia
985 posts, read 1,658,509 times
Reputation: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDT1211 View Post
I'm curious how a Longhorn Steakhouse would fair in that location. There is a Logan's just on top of the hill and I think a Texas Steakhouse closed down not too far from this proposed area.
I honestly hope Longhorn does not locate at this location for that exact reason. There are already other steakhouses within just a few miles that are very similar to Longhorn (Outback, Logan's). I'm hoping for more of a variety of foods then what we currently have. -mmccul
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2014, 03:25 PM
 
4,008 posts, read 2,457,973 times
Reputation: 1174
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDT1211 View Post
I'm curious how a Longhorn Steakhouse would fair in that location. There is a Logan's just on top of the hill and I think a Texas Steakhouse closed down not too far from this proposed area.
Longhorn is fancier and kind of expensive compared to Texas Roadhouse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2014, 05:10 PM
 
Location: Central Maine
2,868 posts, read 2,842,536 times
Reputation: 3976
Yes, I have been watching the demolition of the mall week by week. Was there this past weekend and walked around a bit. Was wondering what was going in there afterwards if anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top