Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2017, 09:37 AM

1,383 posts, read 2,509,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmlrm View Post
So why did the work on Weis Plaza stop? All but two pieces of equipment have been removed.
I have a feeling they have having troubles with leasing. Normally new retail developments will announce more than one anchor tenant to lure smaller tenants and outparcels. I have not heard or seen any other leases and this project has been going on for at least five years if not longer. I could be wrong, but to me this project is becoming a flop.

Although Weis is a decent grocery store and their newer store design seems to be a major step in the right direction, I don't think it is a big enough draw for other co-anchors and tenants. Now, if it were a Wegman's, Whole Foods or Kroger Marketplace...that would be a different story. Then again, Potomac Marketplace about 15 miles away in Ranson is Weis and Home Depot anchored, fairly successful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2017, 03:21 PM

4,081 posts, read 3,603,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmccul View Post
I have a feeling they have having troubles with leasing. Normally new retail developments will announce more than one anchor tenant to lure smaller tenants and outparcels. I have not heard or seen any other leases and this project has been going on for at least five years if not longer. I could be wrong, but to me this project is becoming a flop.

Although Weis is a decent grocery store and their newer store design seems to be a major step in the right direction, I don't think it is a big enough draw for other co-anchors and tenants. Now, if it were a Wegman's, Whole Foods or Kroger Marketplace...that would be a different story. Then again, Potomac Marketplace about 15 miles away in Ranson is Weis and Home Depot anchored, fairly successful.
It wouldn't surprise me if the project has been put on hiatus. There has been a massive number of retail bankruptcies in the past year. I imagine even healthy retailers are a bit gun-shy at the moment.

Old 04-01-2017, 07:39 AM

862 posts, read 1,196,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmccul View Post

Martinsburg or any town in the four state region is not going to get a Wegman's or a Whole Foods anytime soon. The money just isn't there and besides there are bigger markets trying to lure them too. Besides if Wegman's was interested in Martinsburg you can bet money that Hagerstown and Winchester would cry foul and do everything they can to stop it. Kroger was in the four state once..Winchester and they had a serious interest in Martinsburg at the time but the Winchester store bombed and that ended Martinsburg's chances to get a Kroger. Granted it's been 20 years since that happened but I doubt the situation has changed that much to make a difference but yes I do see your point.

Old 05-25-2017, 10:00 AM

456 posts, read 602,139 times
is there any news on this shopping center. is any dirt moving. I would still think if Weis had plans for a new store they would just scale back the size of the shopping center but continue with the development. the mall redevelopment has probably taken a few of the tenants that the Weis center wanted. I would think they could change the center up a bit and add a couple hotels and restaurants. I do know I hate that area for its traffic problems but it should be a easy sell to businesses even in these hard retail times.

Old 05-25-2017, 11:58 AM

308 posts, read 798,916 times
looks like activity has resumed

Old 06-17-2017, 05:01 AM

18 posts, read 21,494 times
Why is this one taking so long to develop

Old 06-19-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bales1181 View Post
Why is this one taking so long to develop
Seeing how they have direct competition with Foxcroft Towne Center, which has spaces open for build-out immediately, I would guess they don't have any tenants signed except Weis. They're going to have difficulty competing with FTC, which I'm sure is signing leases at a much cheaper rate.

Old 06-19-2017, 03:55 PM

18 posts, read 21,494 times
They should get Zaxby's here

Old 06-20-2017, 02:58 PM

3,711 posts, read 2,691,854 times
Massive commercial developments are anything but wild and wonderful. WV's economic niche is in nature and tourism.

Old 06-21-2017, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
Massive commercial developments are anything but wild and wonderful. WV's economic niche is in nature and tourism.
Commercial development and tourism could and should go hand in hand, but that's not always the case unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia