U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 01:12 PM

4,028 posts, read 2,559,178 times

Advertisements

Comparing the old and new versions in regard to the curving road:

Old

http://www.weismarkets.com/real-esta...insburg-WV.pdf

New

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 01:34 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,715,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
I do have a question though: Is Marketplace Blvd. supposed to hook up to The Gallery? It appears that the road makes an extreme curve toward an undeveloped part of The Gallery. I thought Marketplace Blvd. was intended to hook up to Delmar Orchard Rd., which would mean going straight through that wooded property.
It does look as though it is now connecting to The Gallery (looks like either Gauguin Drive or Ruben's Circle). I'm trying to decipher which plan would be more beneficial to the project. Honestly, I feel both connections together would be a great attribute. Having one connection to The Gallery and another to Delmar Orchard Road could really open up visibility and potential for the large amount of wooded land there. Either way, they will definitely need a way to alleviate the Apple Harvest Drive intersections. -mmccul

Old 05-18-2015, 03:19 PM

4,028 posts, read 2,559,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmccul View Post
It does look as though it is now connecting to The Gallery (looks like either Gauguin Drive or Ruben's Circle). I'm trying to decipher which plan would be more beneficial to the project. Honestly, I feel both connections together would be a great attribute. Having one connection to The Gallery and another to Delmar Orchard Road could really open up visibility and potential for the large amount of wooded land there. Either way, they will definitely need a way to alleviate the Apple Harvest Drive intersections. -mmccul
I can see why they would connect to The Gallery, there is really only one suitable entrance to the development at the moment, so it make make ingress and egress to the neighborhood much easier. However, the older plans showing a straight road would open up more land for development. Either way, it looks like Martinsburg will be growing more!

Old 06-22-2015, 07:48 PM

33 posts, read 34,220 times
I think that it's going to be a pretty easy sell to anyone familiar with Martinsburg, that they're trying to provide shopping and dining opportunities to the west of I-81. I personally don't see a lot to like about Martinsburg itself, and what I like least about it is all to the east of I-81, the farther you go the less I like it, as a general rule. I expect it's going to wind up a lot like Austin TX where anything worth mentioning is west of the interstate.

I know there are plans by the City to begin significant development west of I-81 and most of that is expected to be pretty high-dollar where possible, meant to attract the people who have been plunking down fairly large sums of money on new large housing, west of the interstate. I don't see much happening to the east of the interstate, that doesn't first involve tearing down large chunks of what's no longer worth very much.

Old 06-25-2015, 11:03 AM

64 posts, read 83,960 times
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned or clarified, but is this going to be a new location for the existing Weis Market in northern Martinsburg or is this going to be a second location?

It's good that there's so much development and redevelopment going on in Martinsburg, but it's kind of a let-down when you hear what's actually being built. There's going to be a third Wal-Mart in Berkeley County, which will be in Inwood. There's a handful of Food Lion grocery stores in Martinsburg and now we're possibly getting a second Weis Market. Why do we have to continue getting duplicates of mediocre stores instead of things we don't already have? I look at all those pad sites in those photos that have been posted above, and I think to myself "I wonder which will be the McDonald's, the Burger King, the Dunkin Donuts, the mattress store..."

Old 06-25-2015, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneoleary View Post
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned or clarified, but is this going to be a new location for the existing Weis Market in northern Martinsburg or is this going to be a second location?

It's good that there's so much development and redevelopment going on in Martinsburg, but it's kind of a let-down when you hear what's actually being built. There's going to be a third Wal-Mart in Berkeley County, which will be in Inwood. There's a handful of Food Lion grocery stores in Martinsburg and now we're possibly getting a second Weis Market. Why do we have to continue getting duplicates of mediocre stores instead of things we don't already have? I look at all those pad sites in those photos that have been posted above, and I think to myself "I wonder which will be the McDonald's, the Burger King, the Dunkin Donuts, the mattress store..."
I agree with you completely daneoleary. I'd like to add cell phone stores and chain urgent care centers to that list also. It's good to see development, but also kind of depressing for these potentially unique and exciting projects to be filled with repeats and things we do NOT need any more of. The exception here is The Shoppes at Foxcroft. Seagall Group is doing an excellent job of bringing in new businesses to the Eastern Panhandle (Chipotle, Panda Express) with this project. I'm excited to see this project progress, and what will fill the other three spaces in that building.

I really hope the Weis project does not fall victim to this. Same with the open pad site next to the new Hilton Garden Inn. To answer your question, I believe this is a second Berkeley County location for Weis, and not a replacement.

Old 06-25-2015, 05:07 PM

Quote:
The exception here is The Shoppes at Foxcroft. Seagall Group is doing an excellent job of bringing in new businesses to the Eastern Panhandle (Chipotle, Panda Express) with this project. I'm excited to see this project progress, and what will fill the other three spaces in that building.

I really hope the Weis project does not fall victim to this. Same with the open pad site next to the new Hilton Garden Inn. To answer your question, I believe this is a second Berkeley County location for Weis, and not a replacement.
Yes, I agree with you on the Shoppes. Chipotle and Panda Express are small breaths of life into the retail center of Martinsburg. I'll definitely be interested in seeing what else goes in there. I hope the remainder of the space is leased by equally semi-impressive tenants like Chipotle and Panda Express--aside from the medical tenant, which isn't too thrilling.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneoleary View Post
Yes, I agree with you on the Shoppes. Chipotle and Panda Express are small breaths of life into the retail center of Martinsburg. I'll definitely be interested in seeing what else goes in there. I hope the remainder of the space is leased by equally semi-impressive tenants like Chipotle and Panda Express--aside from the medical tenant, which isn't too thrilling.
True, but I do like that they seem to be going for a mixed use and not straight stores or restaurants. I think that will help to make the center even more successful and appealing.

Old 06-26-2015, 09:21 AM

Quote:
True, but I do like that they seem to be going for a mixed use and not straight stores or restaurants. I think that will help to make the center even more successful and appealing.
That's a good point. Mixed use could be beneficial. However, depending on the tenants, it could also mean wasting half the Shoppes with the majority of consumer business being at the restaurants on either end, so they'll have to be selective in what they fill the remaining spaces with.

Every time I look at the plan for Weis plaza, I can't help but to be a little shocked at how many additional pads and retails spaces they're building that will likely remain empty. Half the plazas in Martinsburg are vacant business fronts. Even the Commons, which has arguably the most desirable retail space in Martinsburg, have a lot of empty storefronts. And they emptiness seems to be growing as Staples has shut down as well as that furniture store. You had made a good point before, though I don't recall when or where you said it, that most chains prefer to occupy a site that was built specifically for their business; however, it's been a year since Sears was knocked down to make way for 4 pad sites and the only confirmed tenant we have is a mattress store, which is like the bottled water of retail--total snoozefest. Let's hope that whatever goes up in Sears' place will bring bigger and better chains to Martinsburg by the time the pad sites at the upcoming Weis plaza are ready for tenants.

I'd like to be optimistic, but I'm going to keep my expectations realistically low for the time being.

Old 06-27-2015, 08:11 PM

12,238 posts, read 30,514,862 times
Old Court House Sq is just about dead! They need to work on renting those spaces before building more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia