U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-27-2015, 10:28 PM
 
862 posts, read 694,524 times
Reputation: 1056

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Old Court House Sq is just about dead! They need to work on renting those spaces before building more.

Old Courthouse Square was already showing signs of dying when I had left Martinsburg in 2008 I can only imagine what the place looks like now. What about Berkeley Plaza ?? Still dead ?? Back in 2006 when the theaters in that shopping center had burned I can remember the news reports on WRNR and WEPM saying how not only the theaters would be rebuilt ( and they were of course ) but also many "exciting new things" were planned for Berkeley Plaza. Unfortunately I haven't heard anything about those so-called plans ever since. Guess I shouldn't be surprised since nether WRNR nor WEPM were specific as to what those plans were.

Last edited by tantan1968; 06-27-2015 at 10:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-28-2015, 12:49 AM
 
Location: West Virginia
12,238 posts, read 30,514,862 times
Reputation: 7808
Quote:
Originally Posted by tantan1968 View Post
Old Courthouse Square was already showing signs of dying when I had left Martinsburg in 2008 I can only imagine what the place looks like now. What about Berkeley Plaza ?? Still dead ?? Back in 2006 when the theaters in that shopping center had burned I can remember the news reports on WRNR and WEPM saying how not only the theaters would be rebuilt ( and they were of course ) but also many "exciting new things" were planned for Berkeley Plaza. Unfortunately I haven't heard anything about those so-called plans ever since. Guess I shouldn't be surprised since nether WRNR nor WEPM were specific as to what those plans were.
Not bad they got taken over by a Gym!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2015, 07:16 AM
 
Location: Martinsburg, WV
112 posts, read 139,539 times
Reputation: 70
The Old Courthouse Square shopping center has improved somewhat with a new McDonalds, Taco Bell, and Med-Express Clinic. There's also a new shoe store called "Super Shoes" (occupies a portion of the old Schewel's Furniture store). There were some minor renovations/improvements to the plaza's facade as well. The Post Office and Food Lion remain the main anchors. However, there's still a few vacant store fronts in this plaza. In contrast, Berkeley Plaza remains an eye sore. The theater and gym are the only bright spots and there hasn't been any renovation (as announced back in 2008).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2015, 12:21 PM
 
Location: Martinsburg, WV
64 posts, read 83,960 times
Reputation: 53
I'd say Berkeley Plaza is the most dead plaza in Martinsburg, especially for its size. It's huge, yet remains 90 percent vacant. Xtreme Family Fitness and the most unhygienic movie theater this side of the Mississippi are the biggest and almost only businesses in Berkeley Plaza. There used to be a wood-furniture store there (not sure if it's still open) and there's also Big Bucks Bingo that remains pretty popular from what I'm told. There's a place in Berkeley Plaza called Tannerman's that buys/sells firearms and valuable coins from what I'm told. The Living Room had always been a large pad site in Berkeley Plaza, but I think it's relocated now. There's a new pool place across from the Warm Spring Eatery, which needs to be condemned. The northern end of Martinsburg is in need of some serious urban renewal. The whole area is an eyesore. Berkeley Plaza needs to be razed and maybe some newer, cleaner, smaller plazas built in its place.

Pleased with the progress on the south side of Martinsburg, but the north side needs some love too because it's a real wasteland. Fast food, grocery stores, gas stations, pharmacies, and three gyms are about all it has to offer. Oh, and the post office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2015, 10:57 PM
 
862 posts, read 694,524 times
Reputation: 1056
Quote:
Originally Posted by daneoleary View Post

Pleased with the progress on the south side of Martinsburg, but the north side needs some love too because it's a real wasteland. Fast food, grocery stores, gas stations, pharmacies, and three gyms are about all it has to offer. Oh, and the post office.
Sad to hear about the current state of the northern end of Martinsburg. I can remember as recently as the 1980s with the exception of those outlets a good chunk of the Martinsburg retail and restaurant scene was in that area. Sears, JC Penney, Eyerly's ( Bon-Ton ), Zayre, Food 4 Less, Nichols Discount City, Grand Union, Acme, Hecks, Pizza Hut, K-Mart, Red Barn, Shakeys Pizza, Peoples Drug..all had locations in the north end of Martinsburg. For some reason I seem to recall Holiday Inn even had a big hotel on Edwin Miller Blvd back in those days as did Beefsteak Charlies ( think Martinsburg had the only location in the 4 state region ). Seems like it was only yesterday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2015, 02:51 PM
 
Location: Martinsburg, WV
64 posts, read 83,960 times
Reputation: 53
My aunt was just talking about Shakey's Pizza last week. We drove past where it used to be and she mentioned how she had a birthday party there once, it was THE place for family events like birthdays and such. It's a real shame that there's really nothing on the northern side of Martinsburg. That part of town is actually really rough; dangerous, sketchy, very big drug problem in that part of town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2015, 06:15 PM
 
4,028 posts, read 2,559,178 times
Reputation: 1189
Someone mentioned the large number of pad lots on the Weis plan, so I thought I would comment on that instead of finding that specific post.

I see the number of pad lots as a reaction to the small numbers of pad lots in "The Commons" plan. Yes, there will be a restaurant pad at Cornerstone, but that's just one. I'm honestly surprised that The Commons plan didn't allot for more than two pad sites. Weis Plaza has the opportunity to attract restaurants and smaller tenants that may have otherwise considered the new pad sites at Martinsburg Mall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2015, 07:40 PM
 
Location: Martinsburg, WV
64 posts, read 83,960 times
Reputation: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
I see the number of pad lots as a reaction to the small numbers of pad lots in "The Commons" plan. Yes, there will be a restaurant pad at Cornerstone, but that's just one. I'm honestly surprised that The Commons plan didn't allot for more than two pad sites. Weis Plaza has the opportunity to attract restaurants and smaller tenants that may have otherwise considered the new pad sites at Martinsburg Mall.
Your comment made me think of something. Perhaps pad sites is the way to go. Martinsburg has no shortage of retail space in plazas. There's got to be at least a dozen separate mostly-empty plazas throughout Martinsburg not including Berkeley Place (mostly empty itself). Although the Shoppes seem to have promising businesses leased in two of the spaces so far, maybe most of the bigger names would rather have stand-alone retail space rather than storefronts in plazas.

If that's the case, pads would be the way to go rather than building more plazas or strip malls or whatever you want to call them, that are probably going to remain mostly empty... unless the smell of fresh plaza entices tenants to leases spaces that will become vacant within a year of their opening. Just a thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2015, 08:46 PM
 
Location: Martinsburg, West Virginia
1,031 posts, read 1,715,151 times
Reputation: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
Someone mentioned the large number of pad lots on the Weis plan, so I thought I would comment on that instead of finding that specific post.

I see the number of pad lots as a reaction to the small numbers of pad lots in "The Commons" plan. Yes, there will be a restaurant pad at Cornerstone, but that's just one. I'm honestly surprised that The Commons plan didn't allot for more than two pad sites. Weis Plaza has the opportunity to attract restaurants and smaller tenants that may have otherwise considered the new pad sites at Martinsburg Mall.
I found this to be interesting back when it happened, and I don't think a lot of people know about it...

In the initial plans for The Commons, there were three big pad sites. The current retention pond was "Pad B", Logan's Roadhouse was "Pad C" and where MedExpress currently sits was the initial entrance/exit. To the left of that entrance/exit was "Pad A". However, when the developers went to seek approval, WVDOH or whoever oversees Apple Harvest Drive and the I-81 interchanges said that The Commons' entrance was too close to the stoplight, and needed to be pushed back as far west as possible.

Therefore, the current entrance/exit sits where "Pad A" would have been. The Commons had to give up a large pad in order to comply with them and get approval.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2015, 08:50 PM
 
Location: Martinsburg, West Virginia
1,031 posts, read 1,715,151 times
Reputation: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by daneoleary View Post
Your comment made me think of something. Perhaps pad sites is the way to go. Martinsburg has no shortage of retail space in plazas. There's got to be at least a dozen separate mostly-empty plazas throughout Martinsburg not including Berkeley Place (mostly empty itself). Although the Shoppes seem to have promising businesses leased in two of the spaces so far, maybe most of the bigger names would rather have stand-alone retail space rather than storefronts in plazas.

If that's the case, pads would be the way to go rather than building more plazas or strip malls or whatever you want to call them, that are probably going to remain mostly empty... unless the smell of fresh plaza entices tenants to leases spaces that will become vacant within a year of their opening. Just a thought.
I'm starting to believe this as well. This could also go back to the idea of a town center concept. That is, smaller individual buildings in close proximity of one another with multiple types of tenants in the same, small building. I'm intrigued by this, and if pads are the new trend. Would retail be able to find this same success? I wonder if a center was created with just pads close together with a mix of restaurants (Red Lobster, Carraba's, maybe a couple faster options like a sub or pizza place) smaller mid-level retail (Old Navy, Men's Warehouse, American Eagle, etc. maybe a couple discount stores) and businesses like a bank and/or a fitness center, etc. would do. Not necessarily a town center per say, but dare I say a "pad center"?

The Valley Mall in Hagerstown seems to be finding a lot of success by adding restaurants and stores on the outside of their mall building, facing sidewalks and parking lots. What was once a bare wall or garbage area is now a vibrant restaurant or store front. Men's Warehouse, Red Robin, Tilted Kilt and soon Primati Bros. (restaurant chain from the Pittsburgh area, GREAT food btw! ) might not have been interested in the mall otherwise.

Last edited by mmccul; 06-30-2015 at 08:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top